How often to use heat w/ conditioning treatment?

Kaela

I was just reading through the hairobics freq. asked questions and they recommend using a heating cap twice a week. I also know that Cathy Howse suggests deep conditioning w/ heat at least once a week. Is this really necessary??

here is the link Hairobics FAQs

Brownie

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Kaela said:
I was just reading through the hairobics freq. asked questions and they recommend using a heating cap twice a week. I also know that Cathy Howse suggests deep conditioning w/ heat at least once a week. Is this really necessary??

here is the link Hairobics FAQs

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to do deep moisturizing treatments once a week with a plastic cap and a self heating cap on top of it. Is it necessary? Well, it hasn't been hurtful. I usually do condition washes every day, and once a week or week and a half, I do regular washes with shampoo, so after I use shampoo, I use the deep conditioning cap.

pebbles

Hi Kaela,

I have followed Cathy Howes' advice of always doing a deep conditioning treatment with heat after washing. I do this 2-3 times a week, sometimes even more. It's been great for me. My hair has thrived under that advice.

Allandra

I used to always use heat when I did deep conditionings. Then I stopped using heating with my moisturizing conditioners, and I continued using heat with my protein conditioners. Lately, I haven't used heat with my protein conditioners.

Ennyaa

I don't know if it's necessary but I try to do it twice a week. Once with LeKair Cholesterol and once with a moisturizing conditioner. Either Moisturefuse of Keracare Humecto. Doesn't seem to be hurting, so I think I'll stick with it for now.

NAY007

i always deep condition but have never used heat along with it in my whole life. except for twice at the hair salon. i'm doing fine without it...

Brownie

I just wanted to add one more thing. A while back, we had a post about this and some people said they got better or similar results without heat as with heat. So, I guess it depends on your hair. Try both ways, and see how your hair reacts.

Kaela

Thats the thing that I find interesting...why sometimes conditioning w/o heat actually works better

Brownie

Kaela said:
Thats the thing that I find interesting...why sometimes conditioning w/o heat actually works better

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good question, and if someone has the answer, feel free to step up. I just started using a heating cap or just a conditioning cap, instead of the dryer because I got tired of sitting under that thing, and for me, the end result seems to be the same. I also do condition rinses every night and I wear protective styles usually all the time. So my ends never get dry.

mirrormirror

I used to always use heat when deep conditioning, but I have recently stopped. Because conditioner w/o heat for at least 30 minutes works just the same as 10 minutes with heat.

NAPPtural

I have a hooded dryer, Gold-N-Hot Heat Cap and a steamer.
I've used all three. The steam heat work best with my hair. Its moist heat and my hair is so much better with moist heat then dry heat.

~Napptural~

Paris Belle

I do both sometimes. Sometimes I'll put the conditioner in and then do some stuff around the house for a half hour and then sit under the dryer for 15 min.

If I want more of an intense treatment, I will sit under the dryer for the whole time. Sometimes, I don't sit under the dryer at all. I've had pretty similar results. I think it's up to you, but I do prefer to use heat b/c I read that it opens up the cuticle letting the hair shaft absorb the conditioner better..And to some extent, I think this is true.

Lindy

I use a heating cap with my moisturizing conditioner every time I wash my hair (once a week).

Sometimes I wonder if I'm just wasting my time; especially when I hear some ladies say they never use heat...

It seems to work good with my hair, but who knows???
I guess I should try NOT using heat and see how that goes... Somehow I think I would feel like I was neglecting my hair if I didn't use it though!!!

beana3

I used to do it and now i'm fine without it. I just use plastic caps and wrap them in a twoel if i want "heat"it works just fine that way.

Cleopatra_Jones

Do Not Laugh!!!!!!!
I don't always use especially if i have serious housework. I have a mudcloth hat that is lined with quilted satin (a winter hat). I put a plastic cap on and put the hat on top of that. The hat retains body heat well and my hair is nice and conditioned. Also the hat stays in place, a towel never works for me when i am busy. Okay, I must admit it does sound kinda funny

I used to always use heat to condition my hair but for the past 3 months I've done it without heat and the hair comes out just the same without.

I thought heat was needed to 'open the hair' and let the conditioner sink into it but I've changed that way of thinking recently since the results and overall condition of my hair is as good as without the heat anyway.

I may use heat for the Mizani Moisturefuse since it specifically says on the bottle to sit under a heat cap for 15 mins. But that's the only one.

tc_333

Do Not Laugh!!!!!!! I don't always use especially if i have serious housework. I have a mudcloth hat that is lined with quilted satin (a winter hat). I put a plastic cap on and put the hat on top of that. The hat retains body heat well and my hair is nice and conditioned. Also the hat stays in place, a towel never works for me when i am busy. Okay, I must admit it does sound kinda funny

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not laughing; maybe because I use a winter knit cap over my plastic conditioning cap to retain the heat! Hey, it works, right?!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Lately I've only been using heat once a week with my protein conditioner. I use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards w/o heat but I leave it on for 15-20 minutes--or until I feel like rinsing

TwistNMx

I use heat with every conditioning treatment (protein and oil pre-conditioning). I notice that my hair responds very well to this.