How to get rid of LAYERS!! Advices Needed Please.

Oceana

Hello ladies,

Is there an effective way to get rid of layers? First of I just want to present myself. My name is Oceana, I'm from Montréal, Canada. .. I have 4a/4b hair, texturize, 1 away from BSL. I've started growing out my hair from shoulder length since March 2005. Back in March 2006, my stylist gave me a so called "trim" which ended up more of a hair cut! She, out of the blue, decided to give me a LAYERED CUT!! Now, I haven't given myself a trim since then because I'm trying so desperately to grow out these stupid layers. However, no matter how long I wait, my hair still grows out in a layered kind of way. I want my hair to have more thickeness.

Can you help me please?

Thanks ladies

Oceana

Last edited:

lovelymissyoli

I really wish I knew the answer to this question. Unfortunately, I still have layers in my hair from last year --- and I did a big chop! I must have cut them into my hair when I chopped it @ the beginning of this year, because I can't seem to get rid of them. They're like a plague --- and they're messing up my twist styles! :mad:

Sometimes I wonder if my hair actually grows in layers because I don't have one part of my hair that has identical length to another!

Hopefully someone who actually grew theirs out will chime in...

LynnieB

ugh layers (when they've outlived their usefulness) are da devil especially if they're cut on the slower growing parts of your head :S.

3 years i'm still growing out mine along with some bangs.

no shortcut, other than cutting the rest of your hair to match.

gonna keep checking this thread for more info though.

Tee

First let me say welcome to the group.

There is no quick fix for layers. (other than BIG CHOP)

I had to grow mine out. You can either take the time to grow them out and trim to even it all up. OR.....You can do cut it all even and start fresh again. (I was not thinking about cutting all my hair so it took me about 2 or 3 years to grow them out with trims every 6 weeks or so.)

SweetCaramel1

i used to have them. the last time i went for a trim, the stylist asked if i wanted them again. i didn't. so instead of lifting/layering. she combed down and trimmed all around - like a bob (hope that makes since)

so now i've just been dusting. the last trim i cut the back longest layer only. i'll continue to let it grow and trim until it's all even. then i'll layer again :lol:

blackbarbie

Girl if there was a shortcut to growing out layers, I would have bottled it up and would have been selling it right now!!

I had layers cut in my hair in June 2004 and I am still trying to grow them out. They are almost caught up but not quite. I have never have liked strong layers where you can see each layer, but this is one time I wished I had gotten them done like that. My layers were cut all the way through and were blended very well, which makes it even harder.

Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but I will say that in trying to retain your length, just make sure you are moisturizing every layer instead of just the top portion of your hair.

dlewis

Welcome, I have layers also. Once I reach BSL I plan to just gradually cut them off. I do like them but I want my hair to appear thicker.

preciousjewel76

I have layers that I'm growing out as well. To be honest, I can't remember when I didn't have layers! Oh well. I'll just be patient and see what happens....

PinkPeony

I just cut SOME of my layers and I love the thickness it gave my hair.
I think the other ladies are right tough,you either try to outgrow them or do a big chop.
good luck either way:)

dynamic1

Welcome. Layers are very difficult grow out, especially if the front and sides do not grow faster than the back of your hair. I gave up and decided I'll take the length first and then even it up, when the pesky top layers get to BSL. The layers are sticking up in my avatar. But I do like the way layers look during a roller set or rod set.

Like the other layers stated, keep trimming the last layer until the top catches up.