Yes or No to Layers for a curlyhead?

inthepink

My hair naturally grew into layers as I transitioned to natural. I always had my hair even when it was relaxed but to not have to keep cutting my natural hair as it grew, I just kept the natural layers. When I went to the salon in December, the stylist trimmed my hair - only lightly trimming the layers so that it was layered but no overly so. I went to the same stylist just a few weeks ago and he completely butchered my hair! Now, my layers are too strong! I have a tail and then almost 2 inches shorter is a batch of a layer. Then, he cut the front of my hair way too short so that it just barely touches my shoulders when the longest layer touches my brastrap! Everyday, I get more and more annoyed by how badly he butchered my hair! I've vowed to not see a stylist again for at least a year and learn to trim my own hair in the meantime while I grow out this crazy cut!

My question is for those who are natural, do you find your hair looks best curly when it's all one length or when it's layered? Mine was fine layered through a couple of weeks ago. Now, it looks so stringy b/c the longest layer is so much longer than the rest.

Picture link is in my profile.

Last edited:

hopeful

I can't believe he did that to that gorgeous head of hair. Do you think it will look better when straight? It doesn't look awful but it did look better before. I'm sorry this happened to you.

inthepink

Straight, it just looks ok. Maybe he was smoking crack that day! My girlfriend and sister go to him all the time and he's never screwed up their hair. Just makes me so mad. I know it will grow back. I guess I'm just really bothered by it b/c I had made so much progress. :(

hopeful

You better not tell nobody who he his because when people see your pics they are going to be pissed. Your hair is too pretty and it's obvious that you have worked so hard. Just such an unneccesary setback. I'd be really angry too. Hopefully your hair grows quickly. Keep your head up though, a year from now I bet it will all be back.

lovelymissyoli

IMO I think curly hair looks best all one length, or if the hair is layered, it's very subtle. Like you, my roomate's sister just had her hair butchered off and all she asked for were subtle layers. She went from butt-length curly hair to almost bra-strap :eek:! And to be honest, it doesn't suit her like her longer hair did.

Did you pay for your services?

africa

Honestly, it looks perfectly fine to me. I don't think you need to cut it. I understand your being angry about the unwanted cut though.

inthepink

I will probably just grow out the strong layers and let them be very subtle and close to each other. My is to dust my hair for the next few months and then when I trim, I won't trim the short layers, I'll just keep dusting them until they catch up to the longest layer. I couldn't bare to part with the longest layer just yet.

alibi

hair bored
:wave: Good to see you Hairlove, and I'm so sorry that this happened to you! Your hair is gorgeous as always though! :yep: If you really can't bare to part with that longest layer, then I think you should go ahead and dust for a while, like you plan to. But if it starts to get too annoying, cut it off. It'll grow back in no time, and your hair is pretty any way you do it! ;)

Last edited:

inthepink

thanks ayannapooh! When I achieve more length, I will probably go ahead and get a significant portion of the tail.
I also noticed that in the front, one side is shorter than the other. I cannot understand what the stylist was thinking that day and why me?? Ok, I shouldn't ask that. I am grateful for the hair that I have and I thank you all for the replies.

Qurlyqt

OMG - Hairlove, your hair is STILL gorgeous! It has been sooooooo long since I've seen your hair and even with your "butchered" cut, it doesn't look as bad as you think. I know how you feel about the stylist bc my last two trips to the stylist for "trims" left me disappointed and saying that I was going to start cutting my own hair. I'm still growing out layers and didn't realize the difficulty in trimming layers myself. Therefore, I'm going again this week for another "trim" and we'll see...

Anyway, I think curly hair looks better when it's one length but that's just my opinion. I don't like the way mine looks with that tail so I don't wear it loose (unless it's a twist out).

inthepink

ThePrincess - I know what you mean. I thought I'd play around with my hair tonight and try doing a wash n' go. It looks crazy. Too many different things going on. I'm so bummed b/c just this year my hair had grown into a shape that I loved for straight and wash n' go's. I remember thinking I was finally over my "hair hump" of 3 yeras. Now I'm back to where I was a year ago. It stinks. I guess I'll be wearing mine up for many months till I can afford to lose some length. :/

Last edited:

Sweetcoco82

Girl you hair is beautiful, but i do see what you mean about that small amount in the back that is longer than the rest. She should have left alot of it that length. And i see what you mean about the front being alot shorter.

inthepink

Thanks sweetcoco. I guess I just needed some support from other people who understand hair. I tell my family and they just don't get it.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
For me, layers are a must! otherwise I'll get the dreaded "pyramid" look because my hair is so thick. The layers (on me at least) must start at the last 5-10 cm, not too high up and definately not above shoulder length.

inthepink

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I'm going to gradually trim my hair into barely there layers eventually leading to a blunt cut.