How to get thick STRANDS

ebonylocs

My hair is thick, i.e. I have lots and lots of strands, densely packed.

However, the *individual strands* are quite thin and, I think, fragile.

I see a lot of threads/posts about how to get thick hair, and they mostly seem to refer to how to get more strands to grow in / be retained.

What I want to know is: How do I get the INDIVIDUAL strands to be thicker and stronger? I'm talking like doubling the diameter of each strand.

Thanks ladies

Last edited:

silvergirl

henna,
dyeing your hair black (nothing with perioxide or bleach!)
and protein are the only things that i know off hand.

thiccknlong

eating more protein
using protein conditioners (be careful, you must moist afterwards and between washes)
genetics
eating healthier
less perm

Isis

Besides henna (which attaches to the keratin in the strands to make it thicker), and the other suggestions, don't forget about castor oil. Check out the main castor oil thread, ladies are saying it thickens all of their strands, not just new growth.:)

HoneyDew

henna -alternating with protein treatments weekly. keeping up your moisture in between.

This has made my strans stronger, thicker and more elastic.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
silvergirl said:
henna,
dyeing your hair black (nothing with perioxide or bleach!)
and protein are the only things that i know off hand.

Ditto :)
Espec henna and protein.

ebonylocs

Thanks everyone!

I already use castor oil - I add it to my leave in. I plan to start applying it (sparingly) to my scalp.

About the B-5 (pantothenic acid) - how much should I take per day to see the effect? Right now I take a B vitamin complex w/ Brewer's yeast. It has 6 mg of B-5. Is that enough?

I use Aphogee two-minute Keratin reconstructor weekly. Is that considered enough (external) protein, or should I look for something stronger?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
ebonylocs said:
Thanks everyone!

I already use castor oil - I add it to my leave in. I plan to start applying it (sparingly) to my scalp.

About the B-5 (pantothenic acid) - how much should I take per day to see the effect? Right now I take a B vitamin complex w/ Brewer's yeast. It has 6 mg of B-5. Is that enough?

I use Aphogee two-minute Keratin reconstructor weekly. Is that considered enough (external) protein, or should I look for something stronger?
I would like to know the answer to this as well.

So Pantothenic acid is B-5? That must be why I couldn't find B-5 on puritans pride? I'm confused, help.

tkj25

you've gotten some good answers. just wanted to add vitamin supplements:
biotin, msm, & silica (horsetail or bamboo)

LABETT

I have had good results using Polysorbate 80 as a pre-poo treatment.
I also add a little to my braid spray.

KiniKakes

In my experience, this is what has helped to make my fine hair strands significantly thicker (over time):

MTG
Biotin (I take 10 mg)
Henna
Stopped wrapping my hair nightly/cut down on combing significantly

While my hair is still definitely fine/thin, it is a lot fuller than what it used to be. :)

honeybadgirl

what did wrapping do to your hair? seems like i heard recently someone saying that wrapping affecting their hair. whats that about?:)

ebonylocs

bumpety-bump!

still waiting on answer to B-5 question.

Biotin made my face break out like hell, KiniKakes and tkj25. It was veeery ugly. I don't know if I want to risk it again. My face is bad enough already with what the MSM did to it, although that seems to have calmed down, the scars remain. I kept going with the MSM because I thought my skin was cleansing itself and the end result would be better skin. But so far.. nah!!

gymfreak336

ebonylocs said:
Thanks everyone!

With B-vitamins, it is usually best to take the major bs in a complex. Usually 50mg bcomplex is enough to see results. If your complex has 6mg try buying a separate b-5 supplement and just take 1 additional one a day.

LABETT

queenspence said:
Where can I buy this from?
Heath Food store or Puritan Pride.com.
You will love the warm tingly feel on your scalp ,massage it in for best results before shampooing.