How to make a looser braid/ twist out?

metalkitty

Hi, sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find specifically what I was looking for. I need to know how many box braids or twists I need to have semi loose waves and curls on my collar bone/ shoulder length hair. I was guessing about six but I'm not sure. And should I do it on wet or damp hair for silkier results, since my hairdresser tried to do them on dampish towel dried hair and it looked a HAM...

Nonie

metalkitty said:
Hi, sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find specifically what I was looking for. I need to know how many box braids or twists I need to have semi loose waves and curls on my collar bone/ shoulder length hair. I was guessing about six but I'm not sure. And should I do it on wet or damp hair for silkier results, since my hairdresser tried to do them on dampish towel dried hair and it looked a HAM...

Not sure what you mean by a looser braid/twist out? Why not check out that thread with the braidout/twist-out/knot-out pics and then when you see the look you want, PM the person to find out how they created it.

Bint Yusef

If you want waves make your braids bigger, and dont plait them too tight. I had waves today and I had only like 7 plaits total on damp hair. For a more culrier look or to reset my own curl pattern I will do closer to 20-25, on wet hair with either gel or setting lotion on it.

camellia

I like the very tight kinks/curls when I do a braid out so I make lots of little tight braids on wet hair. I did 30 individual braids on soaking wet hair for the close up in my siggy.

If you reversed that, not as many braids, maybe half as many, on dry or slightly damp hair you'd get a looser curl.

metalkitty

Nonie- I think I should double check that thread since I forgot about it!

Onahairquest-Thank you, I was guessing it'd be something like this.

Camellia- Thanks, that makes alot of sense, using a reverse method of tight braids...

sylver2

I do the looser braidouts. I love them.
Usually what I do is I'll braid 6 loose box braids on wet hair. I sit under dryer for about 45 mins to an hour. then I take them out rub in serum and moisturizer put on satin scarf to smooth out.
If I don't have time for all that I still braid very loose braids on wet hair then tie up and go to sleep. Wake up take out(sometimes its still damp but thats ok) put on scarf real tight with hair hanging out of the back and take a long hot steamy shower. The humidity, steam from shower loosens up the curls and smooths it down. I have pics of my braidouts in my fokti. I always wear looser braidouts.