How to make natural hair/braidouts/twistouts thicker and fuller?

funkycoils

Help!

I am currently 7-8 inches all around at about an inch below collarbone length (stretched). My bangs touch the top of my lip. For all typers, I am 4B. I am having major major trouble with the fullness of my twistouts/braidouts/afro. The twistout/braidouts are lopsided and I almost always just put my hair up in a puff because it is sooo frustrating to make my hair behave. When I separate my twists/braids they look spikey instead of full and filled in.

What has helped you with the fullness of your hair in styling? Post pictures if you can! :grin:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
getting my hair cut into a shape REALLY helped with how my braidouts/twistouts looked-they fell much better. :yep:
also, i fluff out my hair a lot. so much that i've had friends watch me and moan, "but you're losing all of the definition!!" whatever-i'd much rather have big hair.
what is your technique?? maybe i can help.

funkycoils

i normally separate them between 4-6 times with a light oil and fluff.. I really do think that a cut for shape would help but I am afraid to let anyone near my head :wallbash:

Did you cut your own hair?

I know Miss Jessie's Salon does an "angle and balance" cut that is supposed to be good, but that price tag is a biiiiig N-O.

Last edited:

greight

If you can, you should flat-twist your hair.

I have fine hair so twists look:
1.) Small and puny
2.) Twist outs, no matter the amount, never looked uniform or chunky enough.

I do about 8 flat-twists and perm rod the ends. My hair is about 9 - 10 inches.

I practically gave up on twist outs until I found this method.

greight

And oh, for my twist outs:

The times that I did it, I had already stretched my hair out. I had about 8 or so flat twists (medium sized). I took a section, sprayed aloe vera juice to get it damp (and for hold), then used castor oil to seal as I twisted. I also tried it with conditioner, no oil and it worked fine.

Make sure your hair is fully dry since that'll make the twist out more defined even after you fluff

naturalgyrl5199

I take the twists out then get in the shower with the cap on, the steam plumps them up....

Or you can finger-comb, and shake your hair too...I find that works...I haven't had a problem with this because its hot in the south....

Finally, try not to put too much product when doing twists....it can weigh the hair down and reduce that volume....

Ms Lala

My twists out are the fullest when I do them on dry or only slightly damp hair. Putting a roller on the ends may help w/the spikiness you mentioned. I prefer to use flexirods if I decide to curl the ends. I put in about 20 twists using moisturizer mixed w/sheabutter. Sometimes I add a tad bit of gel. IHTH.