how to sew in a weave

Tai

Thanks for the tips. My mom has thin hair and has been tempted to use weaves to help her transition.

What do you use to secure the braids?

Tai

Oh okay. I was trying to figure it out and came up with a blank.

Thanks!

Crystal

[ QUOTE ]
weaveitup said:
ive added some step by step pics. i feel too lazy to get into detail on the pics, but i hope they are pretty clear. ive been getting quite a few pm's asking how to sew weaves in with vertical braids and i hope this helps!!

http://public.fotki.com/weaveitup3/sew_in_a_weave/

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, I been all up in your albums. You are officially my new hero. You're bad. You have some serious skills. Where do I buy this keratin Protein for fusion? I did fusion before but with glue and it was a nightmare.

When i do weaves, I always did my cornrows ear to ear, I'm a have try your method of back to front.

Thanks for shairng your tips and stuff. Did you pay your Five dollars? I need you stay around so I can learn.

I'm a do the braids next week. Which hair did you use? The body wave type or did you just curl your ends? It's just too cute.

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
no problem!

crystal,
i used straight yaki hair..but it was a little too straight so i put a few random crimps in it. if you check my fusion thread(ill bump it for you) i have listed and linked almost everything you will need!

and a veryy sweet member offered to pay my $5 and i want to thank you leoladysw! *hug

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">WIU, when you sew the weave, did you sew it on, like if you were doing a stictch for mending a hem? TIA </font>

cutebajangirl

Do you have any methods for when you are cornrowing up longer hair? I use to braid vertically but now I have to much hair to do that and sew the ends up. It becomes very bulky, and I cannot cornrow in a circle.

AngelicRose07

girl, thats why i stopped the sew ins! lol, but sometimes ill make small tracks going horixontally and let the natural ends hang out near the hairline so it can blend. am i confusion you? probably am...guess i need the digi cam again! lol

babycurls, yes..i sew it on

cutebajangirl

No you're not. I had someone do that the last time I got some tracks put in. But I like full head weaves for protection purposes and that sorta defeats the purpose.

foreverjoy

How do you maintain your hair when it's in a weave. I'd like to try this, but I can't see how I'd be able to all the washes and use all the products that everyone reccomends with a weave?

AngelicRose07

thanks

to maintain the weave, just rub moisturizer and what not on your braids. it will be about as hard to wash as cornrows. you can wash but you also have to try to get under the braids clean. thats just one of the cons of a sew in

Crystal

Hey Weave, I bought my hair the other day to do my braids... sigh... I just don't feel like it though... I said I was going to do them this weekend but I'm lazy.

I bought the Yaki pony hair that already has the curl at the end vs the regular hair that you have to roll and dip in hot water. I did that because again I'm lazy.

Do you ever get tired?

hOnii

[ QUOTE ]
Crystal said:
Hey Weave, I bought my hair the other day to do my braids... sigh... I just don't feel like it though... I said I was going to do them this weekend but I'm lazy.

I bought the Yaki pony hair that already has the curl at the end vs the regular hair that you have to roll and dip in hot water. I did that because again I'm lazy.

Do you ever get tired?

[/ QUOTE ]

that curl at theend will be gone soon after a couple of wears.

Crystal

Will it? See that's what I get for being lazy. It's not human hair so i can't use a curling iron it. I tested it yesterday and made a braid and cut the curl off and then rolled it and dipped it in hot water and got the curl back, so if it does go away I know I can get it back... But none of this matters if I don't get to braiding...

Leslie_C

can someone list the supplies needed to do this? Also how many packs of hair, about two? And how close together do u sew in the tracks?

my only worry would be taking them out...Id probably rip my hair out!

hOnii

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
can someone list the supplies needed to do this? Also how many packs of hair, about two? And how close together do u sew in the tracks?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i'm scared of too!

i used less than 1/4 lb of hair.. 1 pack should be enough, but you mayb want to get 2 to be on the safe side. i did mine pretty close and it still doesnt look all that thivk, so i'd say less than an inch apart.

AngelicRose07

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:

[/ QUOTE ]

get about 2 packs to be on the safe side. ive tried to use just one pack before and it just looked so anorexic. i like my hair to look full and not plastered to my head. i used just under 2 packs on the lady in my sew in demo. about a pack and a half is the usual estimate for sew in weaves.

if you read the instructions under the pics in my how to albulm, it mentions how you can get a thicker or thinner looking weave by the distance between the tracks

[ QUOTE ]
Crystal said:
Will it? See that's what I get for being lazy. It's not human hair so i can't use a curling iron it. I tested it yesterday and made a braid and cut the curl off and then rolled it and dipped it in hot water and got the curl back, so if it does go away I know I can get it back... But none of this matters if I don't get to braiding...

[/ QUOTE ]
i find that the yaki pony hair (toyokolon) is one of the hardest textures to make stay obedient. it usually looks noce for the first week or so but goes to looking crazy in a lil bit. maybe you should go for some kanakelon hair if you must use synthetic. i always find that that type of fiber is much easier to maintain and it holds curls ALOT better than toyokolon

Crystal

You're probably right. I bought six packs, it looks really pretty in the pack but it's no telling what will happen once it's in my head. I didn't feel like doing the braids this weekend so I'll save the hair for some later creation. I'll use a pack to so some flat twists today and I"ll probably do a sew in, in a few weeks after I order my hair.

AngelicRose07

this is how my hair looks most of the time

Attachments

• 15-2.jpg
    15-2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 14
  • picture%2016.jpg
    picture%2016.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: