How to use PH strips (Litmus)?

Ladylynn

I bought some PH strips from the health food store. I want to check the ph level in my relaxer and the neutralizing shampoo. How do I use them?

Nita81

Just dip them in the product and watch the color change. There should be instructions in the kit to tell you what each color represents. Then you'll know the ph of your products. HTH

Ladylynn

Nita81 said:
Just dip them in the product and watch the color change. There should be instructions in the kit to tell you what each color represents. Then you'll know the ph of your products. HTH

Is it an immediate color change? Do you have to let it dry first? I dipped one into my ORS aloe shampoo which is supposed to be used for neutralizing relaxers, but from what I could see the color didn't change at all. When I go home for lunch, I'll take another look. It should be good and dry by then.

HoneyDew

Interesting. I remember testing shampoo PH in highschool Chemistry.

I cannot really remember, but I think we just put some on the strip and took note of the strip's color change.

I am not sure if relaxers can be tested the same way, but I think I will try this, too.

atlien11

i havent been in chemistry for awhile so correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the litmus paper just tell you if its acidic (red) or basic (blue)? It doesnt tell the actual ph level does it? (i might be wrong).

Ladylynn

atlien11 said:
i havent been in chemistry for awhile so correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the litmus paper just tell you if its acidic (red) or basic (blue)? It doesnt tell the actual ph level does it? (i might be wrong).

The ones I bought have the ph scale from 1 to 14 with the corresponding colors.

Neroli

I use pH strips all the time for my skin care products and more frequently for testing my ACV to make sure its at the 4.5 pH. If the product is a thick cream or gel, then liquefy it with "neutral water" before testing. As you know, 7 is the neutral point on the pH scale, with everything below 7 as "acid" and everything above 7 as "alkaline" -- the problem is water, especially tap is not always a nice neutral 7 and can be 2 or 3 points above or below 7 depeding on how much "stuff" is put in your water. I use distilled water (bottled) and I test it first to make sure its an even 7, THEN I liquefy the product (1 to 1) and then test the liquid to obtain proper pH. I hope this makes sense . . .

Ladylynn

Neroli said:
I use pH strips all the time for my skin care products and more frequently for testing my ACV to make sure its at the 4.5 pH. If the product is a thick cream or gel, then liquefy it with "neutral water" before testing. As you know, 7 is the neutral point on the pH scale, with everything below 7 as "acid" and everything above 7 as "alkaline" -- the problem is water, especially tap is not always a nice neutral 7 and can be 2 or 3 points above or below 7 depeding on how much "stuff" is put in your water. I use distilled water (bottled) and I test it first to make sure its an even 7, THEN I liquefy the product (1 to 1) and then test the liquid to obtain proper pH. I hope this makes sense . . .

Thanks Neroli, I was hoping you would respond. Your great!