How will/did you grow out your TWA

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by AfroDoll, Jun 21, 2011.

1. AfroDoll

AfroDoll Member

Thanks Mzswift.. Your hair is awesome! I actually pm'ed you a while back when I was transitioning & you were very helpful. my old username was Pocket*Full*Of*Dreams :yep:

2. AfroDoll

AfroDoll Member

Thank u so much for this! I feel more confident about getting a half wig now. Love the hair.. it looks so natural on you.

3. AfroDoll

AfroDoll Member

Thanks Nonie! Love the pics!
    S-curl worked wonders for my hair when I was transitioning.. then after I chopped.. it would make my hair feel coated and greasy :nono:

4. nisemac

nisemac Well-Known Member

*bump* this is a really helpful thread. one of the reasons i've remained a twa-er for so many years is because i didn't fully understand my options once i hit the 'awkward' stage. this thread has me thinking more along the lines of what i CAN do with my hair at its current length versus what I can't.

5. tiffal1922

tiffal1922 Well-Known Member

When I was in my awkward phases I tried to do twist outs but that took hours on end:look: so I ended up just rocking wash-n-gos. Overtime it got much better but at that point in time i was like... eh... i'm not feeling this length but I refused to get a wig so I had to rock it!

Good Luck Ladies!

Attached Files:

6. tapioca_pudding

tapioca_pudding Breezy.

I'm kinda anti-wig/weave (personal thing), so I'm kinda stuck right now. I have between 3/5 inches of hair, and I do wash n go's erry day lol. Some days I hate it, some days I wish I could do something else. But I don't like how twist outs turn out, I don't like puffs on hair this short, and I don't think braids/kinky twists fit me. Soooo I just do this dayum wash n go erry day LOL and just patiently wait for my hair to grow. I slick my edges down a bit with gel and make sure my curls are poppin, and let it do what it do. :)

7. Chameleonchick

Chameleonchick Well-Known Member

I kept my hair in twists, headwraps and extension twists and braids.

8. nsmith30

nsmith30 Active Member

I wore wash-n- gos and coils the first few months and then I started wearing lace fronts. I learned how to do my own extensions and would wear twists with extensions for 4-6 weeks at a time. As soon as my hair got long enough for me to grip I started doing cornrow updos. You'd be amazed at how cute styles are with shorter hair. You can always cornrow it into a puff.

9. mlwprima2

mlwprima2 New Member

HELP...I have relaxed hair but I'm letting it grow out. I want to be natural again. What do you all recommen. ALSO, what do all these acronyms mean? I am new to this!

10. nisemac

nisemac Well-Known Member

i was the same way about wigs/weaves....but i've decided to give it a try--in the best interest of my hair. i've ordered a few of the most natural looking i could find and i plan to wear them around the house to see if i'm comfortable. the winter is brutal here and i want to explore all of my available options in looking stylish, while protecting my hair. but being patient is good...i'm glad you put that out there. :yep:

11. AfroDoll

AfroDoll Member

Thanks for the replies, Ladies!
    I ended up keeping in my micro braids for about 6 weeks.. Now I'm rocking a curly half-wig : )

12. MaintaintheSexy

MaintaintheSexy New Member

I grew out my TWA via braids. As soon as I BC, i braided my hair and literally have not stopped, that was back in Jan 2010. Now I am shoulder length. Im sorry I don't have pics t show you.

13. Taina

Taina Well-Known Member

I have 2inches right now. I just let them be ... wash n' go, that's it. I don't like weaves or wigs so i don't use them, and i don't know how to braid ... i don't have a lot of resourses hahahaha and not creative at all.

In my last BC my ackward phase was when hair was almost 5inches or so, cause it was to long and too short at the same time.

14. makeupgirl

makeupgirl Well-Known Member

I grew mine out with wigs. As it grew longer, I would two strand twist under the wig. My hair from twa to shoulder length in one year. Now I'm between shoulder and Apl

15. Tif392002

Tif392002 New Member

I grew out my TWA wearing those beanie caps and scarfs... i BC'd at 4 months post