Howse's conditioner and dew.........*thumbs down**

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Re: Howse\'s conditioner and dew.........*thumbs down**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Hmmm...Why should you have to use other moisturizers for the Dew to work? If the Dew is so moisturizing, then you shouldn't have to use anything else with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially considering how much they cost! The $2 packing slip comment really burned me up... I'm not out to begrudge anyone a profit, but don't come right out and tell me the stuff is only worth $2 when I just paid you $20. It makes me wonder how much my beloved Mizani Moisturfuse is really worth... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Gianne said:
I agree with you, she probably didn't read the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read her book (and I like it), but I never tried the products. I don't recall the book giving any special instructions on how to use the products. Her website FAQ and Q&amp;A goes deeper than the book, IMO. I know the women on this board know to follow a protein conditioner with a moisturizing conditioner. Where is this stated in the book? (I'm not saying it isn't there--I just don't remember reading it in the book.) I'm looking at page 101, and she just says rinse out the UBH conditioner thouroughly and follow with an application of Dew or your own moisturizer. Are there instructions on the bottles?

Integrity

Cathy does say in her book ALL protein conditioner must be followed up with either a cremem moisturizer of choice or her DEW just before air drying otherwise the protein will dry out the hair. She also advocates daily moisturizing.

I must agree that her products are expensive, especially the Dew. BUT for me the UBH conditioner is worth the price!!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Integrity

sassygirl125 said:

I don't recall the book giving any special instructions on how to use the products.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sassygirl, she does (Chapters titled 'Moisturizing' and 'Conditioning'). Those are the best parts of her book!

She tells you how, when, why and what....

Country gal

Re: Howse\'s conditioner and dew.........*thumbs do

Where can I get Elucence hair products? I have been hearing great reviews on the product however I could not find it in the local beauty shops.

G

**I know the women on this board know to follow a protein conditioner with a moisturizing conditioner**

That's not true. I did'nt know.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

I made the homemade version of her conditioner using ApHogee Two-Minute Reconstructor. She says herself that her conditioner will make the hair feel rough and hard until it's moisturized. So after rinsing, I put on Motions Moisture Plus for about 10 minutes while I washed my combs and scarves. After rinsing that out I put on my leave-in moisturizer. I think I was using African Wonders Moisture Curl back then...

Does anyone else do this after a protein treatment? Does she say follow up with a moisturizing rinse-out conditioner in the book or on her site? Or is this something I came up with on my own? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I still make the homemade version. But I use Aubrey's GPB now... I love the tingle from the peppermint oil!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

**I know the women on this board know to follow a protein conditioner with a moisturizing conditioner**

That's not true. I did'nt know.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading pandora's post I just realized I may be the only person who does this! I just figured after Howse herself stated that the protein treatment will make the hair rough and hard that I would need to do some intensive moisturizing afterwards.
It works--my hair isn't hard. But I don't use the UBH--I use the recipe she gives in an earlier edition of the book.

G

***gulps* Yes.........why?**

Cause she says on the bottle don't use without reading, that it is to be used in conjunction with the book. She does explain what folk said they experiecened here, that it will make you hair hard , use only enough to coat the hair, what and when to use with it, etc.

I think people are doing other things wrong that causes problems (not saying you are) . Like some one here said said they use other stuff with the dew and it's like spritzin water and they gonna make thier own, takin matters in thier own hands rather than following instructions.

I know how you feel though when you said your hair broke, I just recently whinned about the same subject. I agree with others stick with what works. There are so many products mentioned here that sound wonderful but my pocketbook won't let me try them all, so I'm trying to stick with what works..

G

What conditioner and moisturzing spray do you know is worth $2

Come on and be realistic now. The $2 might have been shipping maybe? But you can't even Suave or Rain for $2 even at Family Dollar it's $2.50 - $3.

Come on yall.

pebbles

Ladies,

Let me interject a few words here in the hopes that I will be able to put any misunderstandings between members to rest.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Giannie did not intend to offend Leshia personnally in her first response. The word "immature" was perhaps not the best choice to make and she probably didn't realize how it would be perceived by other members reading her post.

No review on a product can be immature whether the review is negative or positive. It is the opinion of the individual poster and that's fine. No harm done. Those of us who have used a product and liked it will continue to do so, regardless of what others may say. Those who do not like a product have the freedom to call it junk or crap and no-one needs to take it to heart.

I'm going to keep this thread open because I feel that it is important for all of us to share our experiences and opinions about different products, negative or positive.

I do ask that everyone be respectful of others opinions, allow people to express their likes or dislikes about any given product and be mindful of how we address each other when we respond to a post.

Thanks! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Integrity

yes, cathy says nothing about DEEP conditioning again with a moisturizing conditioner like moisture plus BUT i always do that cos my hair needs all the moisture penetration it can get...

mindy, i agree with you that somehow, the conditioner MAY not have been used properly in some people who got bad results from it (improper rinsing, not deep conditioning with an appropriate moisturizing conditioner etc). just my opinion by the way so i hope people dont get offended... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

Come on and be realistic now. The $2 might have been shipping maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it was an error. But she said the packing slip said the value of the products was listed at $2. And Suave is $0.96 in my neck of the woods!

LondonDiva

Mindymouse said:
What conditioner and moisturzing spray do you know is worth $2

Come on and be realistic now. The $2 might have been shipping maybe? But you can't even Suave or Rain for $2 even at Family Dollar it's $2.50 - $3.

Come on yall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kemi Oyl Conditioning spray to be exact. In the dollar equivalent for what I paid for it it definitely comes in the$2 category.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

the conditioner MAY not have been used properly in some people who got bad results from it (improper rinsing, not deep conditioning with an appropriate moisturizing conditioner etc). just my opinion by the way so i hope people dont get offended...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. And I agree with you about following up with the wrong conditioner. I see some posters choices for moisturizing conditioners and I'll say to myself, "Isn't that a protein conditioner?" For example some folks use cholesterol conditioners as moisturizing conditioners. I think of these as mild protein conditioners... /images/graemlins/confused.gif That's how they feel on my hair anyway.

I'm not offended. I was just confused about what was stated in the book as far as special instructions. Like I said, I've never even used the UBH.

Crysdon

Yeah!!!!

Pebbles to the rescue. Do your thang, girl /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

G

/images/graemlins/smile.gif Agree.

It's also wise to note that Lot's of products, not just UBH do not work well with other products, I think we need to be careful and not just slap products on. I emailed Cathy cause I for the life of me could not figure out what she meant by protein not being used at the mosituring stage there are products out there , like I used IC Hair Foam and it was breaking my hair but it was not the IC but it was when used in conjuction with the UBH TO MUCH protien and not enough moisture. Who Knew? It said moisturing on it, but it contain wheat protein.

Then I stayed away from another product cause I thought the Aloe in it was to much cause it was also in the conditioner, but she say no that was not the prob. so I guess you'd have to be a productologist /images/graemlins/crazy.gif to figure this out. LOL

But I'm gonna follow her plan for the year and see what happens, so far so good, if I could ONLY find a good moisturizing conditioner that works for me. PRAYERFULLY the Island Spice will do the trick.

G

WOW, yall I'm shopping in the wrong place.....

Integrity

mindy, remember you dont have to sit under a dryer with a moisturing conditioner if you dont have that time. i think s-curl activator or world of curls activator gel or pink oil will also right before air drying (for the activators, talk about moisturizing!) will make your hair nice and soft after the protein with UBH.

Fingers crossed for you! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

But I'm gonna follow her plan for the year and see what happens, so far so good, if I could ONLY find a good moisturizing conditioner that works for me. PRAYERFULLY the Island Spice will do the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Island Spice is very moisturizing (for me! /images/graemlins/wink.gif ), you should have good luck with it. Mizani Moisturfuse and Jason Sea Kelp conditioner have worked for very well me, too.
Have you found a daily moisturizer w/o protein besides Dew? I haven't except for my pomades. All of my spray detanglers have protein in them. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Integrity

Sassygirl

the pink oil original lotion has protein BUT the pink oil LIGHT lotion has NO protein and it smells good!

G

Are you guys talking about "UK"

Kemi-Oyl Conditioning Spray is an excellent instant moisturizing, conditioning spray that makes the hair come alive. An excellent support product for chemically relaxed and permed hair. Conditions all textures of hair and is non-greasy.

Provides:

Instant Conditioning
Moisturization
Sheen
Body
Softness

Kemi-Oyl Conditioning Spray - All natural hair spray
Size Price Buy
8oz 5.95

And sassy, where are you gettin suave for .96, I don't use it but my sisterinlaw does she would be glad to know that

G

I'm gonna try the scurl stuff or revist the pink stuff, i think I actually have some of that.

LondonDiva

I'm in the UK yes and for what I paid for it it would have definitely been under $2.00 for the equivalent I paid for it. for 8oz. Infact most hair products over here are slightly more expensive than in the US, I guess they have to slap that on for import costs and VAT etc.

Oh well if it's $6 over there, I guess I got lucky this side of the water, considering it a US owned company.

Integrity

Mindymouse said:
I'm gonna try the scurl stuff or revist the pink stuff, i think I actually have some of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

the pink lotion and scurl work very well together on damp hair to give you both softness and moisture locking into the hairshaft. so please do both right after a protein treatment. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

No Sassy, and I have been trying. I bought the B&amp;B Castor Oil stuff but I don't really like it.

I ordered the Island Spice based on your recommendation, if it don't work for me, I Shall Not Stone You. LOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

Thanks pandora. I had no idea they had a new formula.

And sassy, where are you gettin suave for .96, I don't use it but my sisterinlaw does she would be glad to know that

[/ QUOTE ]

I get mine at Wal Mart Supercenter. Where I live the 8 oz. Tropical Coconut is $0.96. The 16 oz. is $1.86. The Humectant (fake Nexxus Humectress) is a few pennies more, but still under $2.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

I ordered the Island Spice based on your recommendation, if it don't work for me, I Shall Not Stone You. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh gosh, PRESSURE! /images/graemlins/drowning.gif

G

LOL

/images/graemlins/phone.gif

Yeah, lemme speak to sassy...

A

AmilLion

diamoness said:
Leshia, my hair started breaking badly after using her conditioner too. It made my hair really hard and dry (straw-like). I think I might have to cut it. But I won't know for sure until my next retouch. Go back to your old reliable products and keep those strands super moisturized. (worlds of curls activator gel is great for constant moisture). So sorry /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For those ladies that you the Ultra Black Hair Conditioner (not the Dew) are you following with an extremely moisturizing conditioner? This could be the culprit as the UBH Conditioner is a Protein conditioner, just like Motions CPR, ORS Hair Mayo....even Aphogee Treatments. With any PROTEIN Conditioner, I'm positive to follow afterwards with a Moisturizing Conditioner, generally Mizani Moisturfuse and I follow with a water based Leave-in Treatment.

Integrity

Great AmilLion, precisely my point in this thread! Nice to have an echo.... /images/graemlins/smile.gif