HYPOCRISY and HYPOCRITES... Are They Saved???

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Hypocrisy is a sin. In Matthew 15:8-9, Jesus applied the words of Isaiah who criticized hypocrites (Isaiah 29:3) to these religious leaders. When we claim to honor God while our hearts are far from him, our worship means nothing. It is not enough to act religious...our actions and our attitudes must be sincere. The Pharisees knew a lot about God, but they didn't know God. It is enough to study about religion or even to study the Bible. We must respond to God Himself. In verses 13-14, Jesus told his disciples to let the Pharisees alone because they were blind to God's truth. Anyone who listened to their teaching would risk spiritual blindness as well. Not all religious leaders clearly see God's truth. We must listen to and learn from all those with good spiritual eyesight--those who teach AND follow the principles of Scripture.

In Matthew 23, Jesus again exposed the hypocritical attitudes of the religious leaders. They knew the Scriptures but did not live by them. They din't care about being holy--just looking holy in order to receive the people's admiration and praise. Today, like the Pharisees, many people who know the Bible do not let it change their lives. They say they follow Jesus but don't live by his standards of love. People who live this way are hypocrites. We must make sure our actions match our beliefs.
The Pharisees' converts were attracted to pharisaism, not to God. By getting caught up in the details of theur additional laws and regulations, they missed God, to who the laws pointed. A religion of works puts pressure on people to surpass others in what they know and do. This, a hypocritical teacher was likey to have student who were even more hypocritical. We must make sure we are not creating Pharisees by emphasizing outward obedience at the expense of inner renewal.
It's possible to obey the details of the laws but still be disobedient in our general behavior. For example, we could be very precise and faithful about giving 10% of our money to God, but refuse to give one minute of our time in helping others. Tithing is important, but paying tithes doesn't exempt us from fulfilling God's other directives.
These Pharisees who were hypocrites had corrupted hearts. In verse 25-28, Jesus condemned the Pharisees and religious leaders for appearing saintly and holy outwardly but inwardly remaining full of corruption and greed. Living our Christianity merely as a show for others is like washing a cup on the outside only. When we are clean on the inside, our cleanliness on the outside won't be a sham.

Romans 2:21-27 are verses that criticize hypocrisy. It is much easier to tell others how to behave than to behave properly ourselves. It is easier to say the right words than to allow then to take root in our lives. Knowing God's will, however, does not excuse us from doing it. Do you ever advise others to do something you are unwilling to do yourself? We must make sure our actions match our words. Before we accuse others, we must look at ourselves and see if that sin, in any form, exist within us.
If we claim to be one of God's people, our life should reflect what God is like. When we disobey God, we dishonor his name, and people may even speak evil of God because of us. A good question we should ask ourselves is this... What do/would people think about God from watching your life?

Now the real question is... are hypocrites saved???

Salvation's Freeway:

1. Romans 3:23 - Everyone has sinned
2. Romans 6:23 - The penalty for our sin is death
3. Romans 5:8 - Jesus Christ died for sin
4. Romans 10:8-10 - To be forgiven for our sin, we must believe and confess that Jesus is Lord. Salvation comes through Jesus Christ

If the hypocrite has done that last step, he/she has salvation through Jesus Christ.

But if he/she continues in his/her sin and is unrepentant, his/her salvation is questioned...

Hope that helps. Feel free to make responses accordingly based on your Biblical knowledge, wisdom, and life experiences. ;)

qtgirl

If we claim to be one of God's people, our life should reflect what God is like. When we disobey God, we dishonor his name, and people may even speak evil of God because of us. A good question we should ask ourselves is this... What do/would people think about God from watching your life?

I think this is VERY important. As a Christian we should be shining examples of the Good of Christ. Sometimes the only time someone will get to know/see Jesus is through you (as a follower of Jesus Christ).

Poohbear

Let your light shine 'round the world! Yes indeed! Thanks for your input, qtgirl!!! :)

14got

Oh my.

Poohbear I just came from a Women's conference and the leaders of our group did everything but what our Bishop instructed us, then lied about what went on

Poohbear

Kei said:
Oh my.

Poohbear I just came from a Women's conference and the leaders of our group did everything but what our Bishop instructed us, then lied about what went on
Oh really? That's sad. :ohwell: What did the bishop instruct them to do and what did the leaders lie about?

Koffie

Poohbear said:
If the hypocrite has done that last step, he/she has salvation through Jesus Christ.

But if he/she continues in his/her sin and is unrepentant, his/her salvation is questioned...

Hope that helps. Feel free to make responses accordingly based on your Biblical knowledge, wisdom, and life experiences. ;)

OK. If the HYPOCRITE continues in his/her sin and is unrepentant then their salvation is questioned.

My thing is, if they are still are a still hypocrite, then won't they still be sinning?

TrustMeLove

If one is a Christian hypocrite....well I think we are all hypocrites at one time or another in our walk with Christ..we saying lying is wrong, but we lie..we say don't still, but we take pens from work.. I think when your salvation comes into question is when you do these things and odn't ask for forgiveness and not turn from your evil ways.. Thats when I would consider a person not to be saved.

-trust

Poohbear

Koffie said:
OK. If the HYPOCRITE continues in his/her sin and is unrepentant then their salvation is questioned.

My thing is, if they are still are a still hypocrite, then won't they still be sinning?
Yes ma'am!!! :cool:

Poohbear

TrustMeLove said:
If one is a Christian hypocrite....well I think we are all hypocrites at one time or another in our walk with Christ..we saying lying is wrong, but we lie..we say don't still, but we take pens from work.. I think when your salvation comes into question is when you do these things and odn't ask for forgiveness and not turn from your evil ways.. Thats when I would consider a person not to be saved.

-trust
Your post is true! But that's why I said this at the end...

"4. Romans 10:8-10 - To be forgiven for our sin, we must believe and confess that Jesus is Lord. Salvation comes through Jesus Christ

But if he/she continues in his/her sin and is unrepentant, his/her salvation is questioned..."

Last edited:

qtgirl

I don't want to start a whole 'nother thread, but based on this post I thought about this: When I pray I usually ask God to forgive me of any sins I've committed whether knowingly or unknowingly. Like if I took that pen from work w/o realizing it or if I unknowingly hurt someone's feelings and stuff like that.

Do y'all do that? Or does God not recognize unintentional sin? Do you have to know that you're sinning for it to be counted against you?

TrustMeLove said:

-trust

Poohbear

qtgirl said:
I don't want to start a whole 'nother thread, but based on this post I thought about this: When I pray I usually ask God to forgive me of any sins I've committed whether knowingly or unknowingly. Like if I took that pen from work w/o realizing it or if I unknowingly hurt someone's feelings and stuff like that.

Do y'all do that? Or does God not recognize unintentional sin? Do you have to know that you're sinning for it to be counted against you?
Yes. Sins that you commit knowingly and unknowingly or intentionally or unintentionally still count against you. Repentance is the key.