I am Cutting my Hair?

CenteredGirl

I can't live with the thin ends anymore and think I should take the leap and cut about 3" off my hair.

I think it will make it thicker and stronger. Any input here? Thanks.

If you wear your hair down often and it bothers you, then consider the trim. There is something beautiful about healthy trimmed ends no matter what the length.

If you keep it up most of the time and the ends don't bother you then continue to grow it out until you have reached you goals.

People only see my thin ends if I flat iron, which I rarely do. Roller sets and bantu knots seem to hide them well if I do wear all of my hair down.

RZ~

I can't live with the thin ends anymore and think I should take the leap and cut about 3" off my hair.

If it's really thin I would just go ahead and trim them and be done with it. But, i'm a big cutter so take my advice with a tablespoon of salt.

If you hair still looks like it does in your avitar. I agree you should trim it. I think your hair would look thicker, healthier, and more lush!

I don't blame you. Since I've started my hair journey I've had to completely ignore my ends. I have an obsession with a straight scissor cut! I'm going to wait until I get close to my goal before I do anything about it though.

The beginning of this year I cut mine off and I've never looked back:grin:! And yes, I agree that it would look thicker and stronger when you wear your hair out.

Okay, I'm gonna do it and will post pics next week. This will lengthen my journey to WSL but hey, whatever, I know it will grow. Thanks all!:yep:

I think it's a great idea. There's nothing attractive about stringy thin ends. Your hair will look so thick and healthy and you're going to swaaaang it with pride!

A blunt necklength bob is sexier than hair that's thick to your neck then a bunch of strangly strings down to bsl IMO

Okay, I'm gonna do it and will post pics next week. This will lengthen my journey to WSL but hey, whatever, I know it will grow. Thanks all!:yep:

Good luck! You know what, you'll take a lil longer to get to WL but you wouldn't want healthy hair to bsl and then 1 stringy lil thing hitting WL anyway. With your deep trim all your healthy strands will hit WL and you'll look FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS!!!:yep:

Well I would if I wore my hair down often. If you are one that wears protective styles where the ends can't be seen then I wouldn't. I recently cut 2 inches off because my ends looked thin to me. I wear my hair down and flat-ironed so it was noticeable. I cut it and even though it will take me longer to reach my goal my hair looks better and is healthier.

I cut 6 inches off my hair in May 07 for the same reason. That portion of my hair was the old, highlighted portion and it was ratty and splitting. It was covered with henna, but it wasn't enough. I was scared that portion of my hair would affect the rest negatively so I just hacked it off. It looked much healthier and thicker, but it was tough at first to deal with such a big chop, but it was well worth it. My hair grew back faster and healthier.

Centered Girl I don't think you ever wear your hair down so I would say just start gettng small trims NO MORE than one inch at a time. Thin ends can correct as the hair grows we've seen it. Just an inch will make a BIG differce. whatever you do let us know and HHG!

hmm.... more to consider. You guys are bomb. I really don't wear my hair out (usually under a wig), maybe I'll wait until December and re-evaluate.

Thanks. And Lavender, I probably will chop a lot off. I like your results. A lot.

hmm.... more to consider. You guys are bomb. I really don't wear my hair out (usually under a wig), maybe I'll wait until December and re-evaluate.

Thanks. And Lavender, I probably will chop a lot off. I like your results. A lot.

Thanks CG! I would say do a careful assessment of your ends. If you are seeing splits or if you are seeing more breakage (which could signal the ends are splitting up the shaft), then you may need a bigger chop. If you have just thin ends and you do keep your hair protected on a regular basis, I would follow the advice to trim gradually. I would trim an inch now....then trim an inch every 3 months. If you have average grow of 1/2" a month...theorectically you could trim off your 3 inches in 6 months and still retain at least 1-1.5 inches of growth....maybe more...theorectically of course. :grin:

Girl, cut it. Your hair will be healthier and thicker. You'll feel and see a difference. And that isn't even much that has to be cut off.

I have a lot of heat damage from months ago, and I want to cut off all my hair! I already cut from APL to Collarbone length. I've decided to cut off my hair to maybe ear length and grow back during the winter in braids. :sad:

Girl, cut it. Your hair will be healthier and thicker. You'll feel and see a difference. And that isn't even much that has to be cut off.

I have a lot of heat damage from months ago, and I want to cut off all my hair! I already cut from APL to Collarbone length. I've decided to cut off my hair to maybe ear length and grow back during the winter in braids. :sad:

Gurl, 3" is major for me! Whaccha talking bout? Hee hee hee. But I feel you. What's 6 months?

Lavendar, you rock.

Thanks all.

Gurl, 3" is major for me! Whaccha talking bout? Hee hee hee. But I feel you. What's 6 months?

Lavendar, you rock.

Thanks all.

It probably won't even take you six months to grow back; depending on how fast your hair grow. And since the winter is the perfect time to do protective styling, you won't even miss it. :nono:

I've been having the same problem and decided that I'm going to do a major trim to combat the thin ends after I reach each of my goals. By February(probably sooner) ALL of my hair should be across the BSL line and that's when I'll do my first major cut. Good luck with your decision.

I cut off almost 3 inches of thin ends and I think it was the last of my no lye hair. It's like having a whole new head of hair. My last touch up on 9/6/08 put me about 2 inches from bsl. I'm almost back where I started from.

If it will make you feel better when your hair looks better I say GO FOR IT!

If you wear your hair down often and it bothers you, then consider the trim. There is something beautiful about healthy trimmed ends no matter what the length.

If you keep it up most of the time and the ends don't bother you then continue to grow it out until you have reached you goals.

People only see my thin ends if I flat iron, which I rarely do. Roller sets and bantu knots seem to hide them well if I do wear all of my hair down.

RZ~

i'm doing the bolded. truth be told, i need to chop bout 4 inches to get nice blunt ends, but i'm hiding my hair in curly rollersets and buns until i hit at least mid back length (shouldn't be more than a year).

and i totally agree; if you'll be wearing your hair down a lot, and it bothers you, then go ahead and trim. but there's no point in trimming if you're going to keep your hair up :)

I cut about 4" at the end of May for the same reason.
I like my results!!
I was at WL and cut to BSL. It's already growing back and I'm at Midback now, so it will grow back before you know it. :yep:

Thanks CG! I would say do a careful assessment of your ends. If you are seeing splits or if you are seeing more breakage (which could signal the ends are splitting up the shaft), then you may need a bigger chop. If you have just thin ends and you do keep your hair protected on a regular basis, I would follow the advice to trim gradually. I would trim an inch now....then trim an inch every 3 months. If you have average grow of 1/2" a month...theorectically you could trim off your 3 inches in 6 months and still retain at least 1-1.5 inches of growth....maybe more...theorectically of course. :grin:
That's a good plan IMO

Yes I do agree Centeredgirl, I was thinking of posting a thread because i've been seeing alot of thread of hair growth, but the ends are jacked. I just got mine cut the end of july and trying to really treat them gently this time around, taking my time with braid comb-outs etc. go to this website and read over and over her tips on healthy long hair. lots of vital info :yep:. Ultimate guide to Growing Healthy Long Hair-20 steps. I feel so good about my last trim, it took away from my length but my hair looks alot healthier. I've also learned to be kinder not handle my hair so rough especially the ends......Good luck Anna

Well where's the pics?
I cut off 5 1/2 inches to get rid of layers/thicken it up and I wasn't mad. I was actually happy, made rollersetting easy which I was begining to miss. I was still pass BSL so what the hay.

Back