I am getting braids tomorrow and...

butterfly7

I am so nervous! Because of you guys, my hair has changed drastically. It has always been really soft, but it was also very dry, weak, and unhealthy looking. Now, it is soft, moisturized and extremely healthy looking. And most importantly, it is growing already. I am now 10 weeks into my relaxer (something I never imagined myself doing) and I am getting braids tomorrow, just regular box braids. I am really nervous about it for some reason. I think because my hair is doing so well right now, I am afraid that I am going to "mess it up" by doing something different. I plan on keeping the braids for 2 months and I am going to attempt to use the crown and glory method. Does anyone have any advice that they think I need?

Cleopatra_Jones

Don't get the micros and make sure the braider is not jacking up your hairline.Do not let them braid too tight or take sections too small. I just took out micros, I had them in for 1 1/2 months. I have 3/4 of new growth, but I am working on the hairline. I have bald spots and thining
. Some braids fell out with hair in them and I was afraid I was going to lose everything I worked so hard for.

NAPPtural

Do a natural deep condition tonight. TO get your hair strong..for the braids. That's what I did. All natural deep condition like plain real mayo.
I know that might sound gross..but it really do work..just use plain mayo don't add anything to it and then when you rinse spray your hair with a moisturizing spray and wrap you hair up go to bed and you will be ready for your braid session.

~Napptural~

butterfly7

Oh no! Jacking up my hairline? I will definitely make sure she doesn't braid too tight. Did your braids fall out around the hairline only?

JenJen2721

Make sure you detangle your hair as much as possible before going and make MAKE SURE SHE'S GENTLE WITH YOUR NEW GROWTH! I went in to have my hair braided once when I had a lot of new growth and the braider combed my hair very rough before braiding it. I was literally in tears and felt and heard and lot hair breaking.

When I asked her to stop she said you have too much new growth, I have to comb through it. Aren't you trying to go natural?

Also, be careful about them snipping stray hairs when they're done. That can cause you to lose length too.

NAPPtural

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
butterfly7 said:
I will do that. My concern is definitely with the strength. I hope the fat free is O.K. -smile-
Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I've never thought of that one...I've never use fat free before (LOL). It dsoesn't matter I guess..

~Napptural~

butterfly7

Hmm. Those are things I never thought about. I have a lot of new growth in the center of my head and it is harder to comb through. I will state my demands right up front. Thanks. I know I want to prevent having a lot of build up at the base of the braid. How do I keep it moisturized without creating build up?

Crystal

butterfly7 said:
I am so nervous! Because of you guys, my hair has changed drastically. It has always been really soft, but it was also very dry, weak, and unhealthy looking. Now, it is soft, moisturized and extremely healthy looking. And most importantly, it is growing already. I am now 10 weeks into my relaxer (something I never imagined myself doing) and I am getting braids tomorrow, just regular box braids. I am really nervous about it for some reason. I think because my hair is doing so well right now, I am afraid that I am going to "mess it up" by doing something different. I plan on keeping the braids for 2 months and I am going to attempt to use the crown and glory method. Does anyone have any advice that they think I need?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the Africans doing it? After they are finished they like to take a pair of scissors and "clip" off all loose hairs and even though they tell you it's not your hair their cutting off, trust me when I say that it is. I watched them cut all into this one ladies hair one time. I was just shaking my head wondering if she knew they were doing that. Anyway, if you see them coming at you with scissors say, "NO!" And do it yourself when you get home it it's that bad. They'll tell you it's not your hair they're cutting, don't believe them.

butterfly7

Whoa! I always wondered about that. I actually saw a woman take a cigarette lighter up and down a woman's braid before to burn off those hairs that "weren't hers". Thanks for the tip!

Cleopatra_Jones

The braids fell out on my hairline in the front and at the nape. So don't be afraid to speak up if someone else is braiding. Some braiders will try to pull up hair that is still beneath the scalp
, don't let them do it. My hair is growing back nicely though.

butterfly7

Thank God. (Your hair is growing back) These two girls that work here with me got their hair braided last week and one of them has braids (corn rows) so tight her scalp is bulging. They were both complaining of headaches and had little bumps around their hairlines. EEk!

Cleopatra_Jones

The funny thing is it didn't feel tight, nor did i have any bumps, but the braid came out with my hair with the roots still attatched. But good luck and use all the tips the ladies gave you and you should be fine

Kitkat

JenJen2721 said:
Make sure you detangle your hair as much as possible before going and make MAKE SURE SHE'S GENTLE WITH YOUR NEW GROWTH! I went in to have my hair braided once when I had a lot of new growth and the braider combed my hair very rough before braiding it. I was literally in tears and felt and heard and lot hair breaking.

When I asked her to stop she said you have too much new growth, I have to comb through it. Aren't you trying to go natural?

Also, be careful about them snipping stray hairs when they're done. That can cause you to lose length too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Butterfly, JenJen is on point about the detangling. If you have to, take your own wide tooth comb and your own moisturizer and/or creme. I remember getting my box braids redone when I had been braiding my hair for a year. I was about 6 months in, and I had lots of new growth. I took my own big comb and moisturizer. Don't you know the braider was coming at me with some rat tail comb, even though I asked her to use mine? I had to literally grab her wrist and stop her. Don't let them pull through your hair roughly. If necessary, comb and detangle your hair yourself.

That said, enjoy your braids! I love them, and I'm going back into them shortly. Moisturize well, don't let them braid too tight, and you'll get nice results. Keep us posted, too.