I don't agree with Robin Woods!

Tru_Mind

I read an article years ago, and one of Halle Berry hair stylists said that when her hair is cut really short she does not relax.

How can Robin Woods say that Halle Berry is 4a 4b 3c medium relaxed hair type. When Halle hair is cut really short it is not and does not look like 4a 4b 3c.

I don't agree with her on that one! She also has Alliayah as 4a 4b 3c medium relaxed...I thought she was a natuarl. Anyway, Alliayah does not have the same type of hair as Halle Berry.

Then she has Essence Atkins as a "3a" 3b Medium...and this model with a fro as "3a" 3b Medium. She has me questioning my hair type. I don't know anymore.

What is my hair type...because I really don't know anymore after viewing her site?

growafrohairlong.com

Last edited:

kizzylonghair

tru_mind said:
I read an article years ago, and one of Halle Berry hair stylists said that when her hair is cut really short she does not relax.

How can Robin Woods say that Halle Berry is 4a 4b 3c medium relaxed hair type. When Halle hair is cut really short it is not and does not look like 4a 4b 3c.

I don't agree with her on that one! She also has Alliayah as 4a 4b 3c medium relaxed...I thought she was a natuarl. Anyway, Alliayah does not have the same type of hair as Halle Berry.

Then she has Essence Atkins as a "3a" 3b Medium...and this model with a fro as "3a" 3b Medium. She has me questioning my hair type. I don't know anymore.

What is my hair type...because I really don't know anymore after viewing her site?

Tru_Mind

OMG You read my mind !!! What kind a hair classofication rubbish was that!!

I would have rathered she took pictures of people off the street than try to match celebrity hair incorrectly.

AAliyah a 4a,4b, 3c So I have the same hair type as Aaliyah RIP, I dont think so !! My hair is afro/ nappy is its natural state. Not like Aalihahs. If you looks at her Grandmother(Album Sleeve) Her brother and Mum it obvious that babygirl got a little bit of mix in her.
She is 3a, 3b- No 4s

As for Halle Berry, she is bi-racial there no nappy ness under that hair of her, not nappy like my mine anyway.
She a 3a, 3b- No 4s

She trying to tell me that AAliyah, Halle Berry, and Laryn Hill have a inch of the same hair type!!!

She did get Oprah, and Essense right though.

I am confused myself

Kizzy

Tru_Mind

Thanks ladies! I'm glad that I'm not alone on this one. Maybe she should ask these celebraties hair styles, because you can't always tell by looking especially if that person is relaxed. I am living proof of that fact. My hair texture did not look the way that is does as a natural.

On her first site I was wondering why she put Halle there? I thought that it was because Halle was relaxed. This is a trip!:lol:

Last edited:

Kalani

This is why the whole hair typing thing confuses me. After all the examples I'm still not sure.

Kalani

tru_mind said:
Thank ladies! I glad that I'm not alone on this one. Maybe she should ask these celebraties hair styles, because you can't always tell by looking especially if that person is relaxed. I am living proof of that fact. My hair texture did not look the way that is does as a natural.

One her first site I was wondering why she put Halle there? I thought that it was because Halle was relaxed. This is a trip!:lol:

Exactly! My relaxed curls look drastically different then when they were natural back in the day.

Tru_Mind

dtachi said:
This is why the whole hair typing thing confuses me. After all the examples I'm still not sure.

It confuses me too! You see that I completely took my hair type out of my siggy. This is why. This hair typing mess is all over the place.

Kalani

tru_mind said:
It confuses me too! You see that I completely took my hair type out of my siggy. This is why. This hair typing mess is all over the place.

Yep! I use to have my type in my siggy and took it out for the same reason. :lol:

Tru_Mind

I get a kick out of it when I see people typing every single texture that they have on they're head(2a,2b,3a,3b,4a,4b all on one head):confused:...they're just adding to the confusion. Can't they just choose that dominant hair texture and make it there hair type? Keep it simple! My dominate hair texture is in my crown area, which is 3b(according to Andre'), so I type my hair as 3b.

I made sure that I checked the hair typing section before I closed the growafrohairlong.com window. I was hoping that she explained her hair typing section a little bit more...oh boy did she ever! Robin added to the confusion that was already there!:mad:

Last edited:

Tru_Mind

kizzylonghair said:
Tru_Mind

OMG You read my mind !!! What kind a hair classofication rubbish was that!!

I would have rathered she took pictures of people off the street than try to match celebrity hair incorrectly.

AAliyah a 4a,4b, 3c So I have the same hair type as Aaliyah RIP, I dont think so !! My hair is afro/ nappy is its natural state. Not like Aalihahs. If you looks at her Grandmother(Album Sleeve) Her brother and Mum it obvious that babygirl got a little bit of mix in her.
She is 3a, 3b- No 4s

As for Halle Berry, she is bi-racial there no nappy ness under that hair of her, not nappy like my mine anyway.
She a 3a, 3b- No 4s

She trying to tell me that AAliyah, Halle Berry, and Laryn Hill have a inch of the same hair type!!!

She did get Oprah, and Essense right though.

I am confused myself

Kizzy

OMG,Kizzy I missed that one! Yep, she is tryin' to tell us the AAliyah, Halle Berry, Laryn Hill, and even Erica Alexander (Maxine Shaw from Living Single), has 4a 4b 3c medium hair if all of their hair was in it's natural state.:confused:

And I do know some bi-racial kids that have type 4 hair...but as far as Halle goes I'm going by what her stylist said and what I see.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
This is what I think about hair typing...

I don't think there's an accurate way to tell what your hair type is unless you have a lot of new growth or if you are fully natural.

When I first saw this hair typing thing as a relaxed head, I thought I was type 1. :lol: Relaxed hair is straight hair, right?

With the celebrities Robin Woods uses on her site, we don't know if those ladies are relaxed or natural. So don't go by her guide for telling what your hair type is. But I agree that Halle Berry is not type 4.

Tru_Mind

Poohbear said:
This is what I think about hair typing...

I don't think there's an accurate way to tell what your hair type is unless you have a lot of new growth or if you are fully natural.

When I first saw this hair typing thing as a relaxed head, I thought I was type 1. :lol: Relaxed hair is straight hair, right?

With the celebrities Robin Woods uses on her site, we don't know if those ladies are relaxed or natural. So don't go by her guide for telling what your hair type is. But I agree that Halle Berry is not type 4.

:lol:My co-worker did the same thing. I brought Andre's book to work one day so that she could read it. After reading the the entire hair typing section(she almost read the whole book):lol: she said,"Ok, I'm a type 1, because my hair is straight." :lol: I had to explain to her that she has to look at her new growth not the relaxed hair, and she said, " See my hair is growing out straight". I then asked her when was the last time she relaxed she said that it was recent(I believe that she said at least 2 weeks).:lol: I told her to wait until she gets more new growth or look at her hair in pre-relaxed pics. Then she says that she's a 4.

Tru_Mind

Halle Berry
This is not the pic that I wanted to post. I wanted to post her pic at about age 9...but I can't find it.

Last edited:

carolina_belle

I love the new site, but that was a little confusing. I stopped trying to hair type my hair. According to the site, Oprah, Halle, and Lauryn Hill all have the same hair type. I just want it to grow. :)

Tru_Mind

I don't get it! Robin Woods used to advertise "Andre Talks Hair" on her website"(which is why I bought the book in the first place), but she went totally aganst what he said...and he's the stylist.

From "Andre Talks Hair". Andre Walker(one of Halle's former hair stylists book). He says that Halle is a type 3.

balisi

TigerLily said:
I agree, tru mind. There's no way that Halle has ANY 4a/4b in her hair.
Off topic, but I just HAD to say Thank You for the beeeeauuutiful picture you posted of this hottie! Oh, if only, if only... :lol:

Ashee

tru_mind said:

growafrohairlong.com

Seeing tha hair up close & in pictures after the stylist gets to it can be two different things. Maybe she knows how they look in person (roots & all).
Maybe Aaliyah was relaxed but had curls to her hair... (Spirals, Pin Curls, etc.) She did wear weaves to give her hair a break. :ohwell:
But Halle dose have a 3a/3c type in short cut pictures....
Even her weaves go towards the 3 & 4a familys.... (loose type curls). Still those are weaves.... She just seems to lean towards those type of styles...

Netta1

I don't agree with hair typing...whats the point?? It did nothing but make me crazy while I was transitioning! All of our hair is way too unique to be summed up in a few short catergories anyway. If you see curls in your hair then your hair is curly, if you see naps in your hair then your hair is nappy or tightly coiled (which ever makes you feel comfortable), if you have waves in your hair then your hair is wavey..its just THAT SIMPLE, my hair happens to be a combination of all of the above and then some.

We were doing just fine before this hair typing system came along, and now we act like if we can't place a our hair in a "category" we're all doomed to hell!

Just take care of your hair and don't worry about types, if you see someone with hair that "looks" like yours just ask them their routine (which still might not work for you) and be done with it.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Netta1 said:
I don't agree with hair typing...whats the point?? It did nothing but make me crazy while I was transitioning! All of our hair is way too unique to be summed up in a few short catergories anyway. If you see curls in your hair then your hair is curly, if you see naps in your hair then your hair is nappy or tightly coiled (which ever makes you feel comfortable), if you have waves in your hair then your hair is wavey..its just THAT SIMPLE, my hair happens to be a combination of all of the above and then some.

We were doing just fine before this hair typing system came along, and now we act like if we can't place a our hair in a "category" we're all doomed to hell!

Just take care of your hair and don't worry about types, if you see someone with hair that "looks" like yours just ask them their routine (which still might not work for you) and be done with it.
I AGREE!!! :yep::up:

Tru_Mind

Netta1 said:

Netta, I am truly feed up with hair typing, so I agree with you. However, I applaud Andre' for coming up with a system that helps all textures better care for their hair. I believe that was his point...and his system was very simple, no big deal...and I understood it.

Yes, I too believe that our hair is too unique to be summed up in a few short categories too...but that's not what the system was about. I feel that it became this way over time. It's true that in which ever category, all our hair may not curl the same, wave the same, feel the same, or even look the same, but we may be able to use the same products, etc. That's his point. It's not about hair typing...we (us who use or have used his system) made it that way. It’s about knowing better ways to style your type of hair, what products may work best for your type of hair, and how often you should wash your type of hair in order to take better care of your hair. That's what I got from reading his book.

What's making me crazy is all the hair typing changes...I don't understand this hair typing mess anymore. I feel that it should have been left alone.

I agree to some degree, but Andre's system and book helped me a lot. As a matter of fact, I only had his book before I came to LHCF. I agree with you when you say that some act like they are doomed if they place their hair in a "category". Well, that's sad...and they're missing the point. The system was made to help them (and everyone else) take better care of their hair.

Tru_Mind

Ashee said:
Seeing tha hair up close & in pictures after the stylist gets to it can be two different things. Maybe she knows how they look in person (roots & all).
Maybe Aaliyah was relaxed but had curls to her hair... (Spirals, Pin Curls, etc.) She did wear weaves to give her hair a break. :ohwell:
But Halle dose have a 3a/3c type in short cut pictures....
Even her weaves go towards the 3 & 4a familys.... (loose type curls). Still those are weaves.... She just seems to lean towards those type of styles...

Hi Ashee!

Andre' was her hair stylist, and he saw what her hair was like from the beginning to end...and he typed it as type 3. Why didn’t Robin leave it alone?

My point is that Robin Woods advertises Andre' book on her site as if that's the system that she was following...and I'm sure that she read the book. In the book Andre'(Halle former stylists and creator of the system) types Halle's hair. Robin (someone who has never been in Halle's hair) totally goes against what Andre' said. I know that she going by what she sees...please we all should know that looks can be deceiving especially if the hair is relaxed.

The fact that Robin is typing hair that she has never dealt with wrong is wrong. She is adding to the confusion. I mean…she is saying that she and Halle has the same type of hair…please. BTW, Halle is not the only one that I don't agree with I don't agree with Lark Voorhies is another...that photo is not of her natural (un-processed) hair. "Saved by the Bell"...younger days is her natural hair. I feel that if she going to post it on the web she should get it right…and do some research first.

Ashee, are you saying that some of Halle's weaves are type 4, because I've never seen her with a type 4 weave...and if it's "loose type curls" it's not type 4. Maybe Aaliyah, but not Halle.

Last edited:

Netta1

tru_mind said:
Netta, I am truly feed up with hair typing, so I agree with you. However, I applaud Andre' for coming up with a system that helps all textures better care for their hair. I believe that was his point...and his system was very simple, no big deal...and I understood it.

Yes, I too believe that our hair is too unique to be summed up in a few short categories too...but that's not what the system was about. I feel that it became this way over time. It's true that in which ever category, all our hair may not curl the same, wave the same, feel the same, or even look the same, but we may be able to use the same products, etc. That's his point. It's not about hair typing...we (us who use or have used his system) made it that way. It’s about knowing better ways to style your type of hair, what products may work best for your type of hair, and how often you should wash your type of hair in order to take better care of your hair. That's what I got from reading his book.

What's making me crazy is all the hair typing changes...I don't understand this hair typing mess anymore. I feel that it should have been left alone.

I agree to some degree, but Andre's system and book helped me a lot. As a matter of fact, I only had his book before I came to LHCF. I agree with you when you say that some act like they are doomed if they place their hair in a "category". Well, that's sad...and they're missing the point. The system was made to help them (and everyone else) take better care of their hair.

Well I can respect your opinion too. I just don't agree with Andre's or anybody elses typing system. I read Andre's book and I didn't agree with some of the things that he said about natural hair; I'd rather read Pamala Farwell, she had several good pointers in her book about natural hair.

I think hair typing has frustrated and confused more then it has helped (at least thats what it did for me), but I'm glad that you were able to get some use out of it :0).

lovechic

Netta1 said:

AMEN GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valerie

I think Andre Walker is best dealing with bi-racial people with mixed textured hair and being Oprah's stylist. He does not deal with black women with tightly coiled hair, people like myself. So he make a lot of assumptions about natural hair, although his book was interesting. My hair is 4b according to his characteristics and it is doing just fine and there are a lot of ladies on this board with 4a/4b type hair and it is very long and yet they should be in Andre Walker's book. Andre like a lot of people want black woman with tightly coiled hair to feel very upset and long for a different texturised hair, that is why before I am about to wash my hair and love to comb it out and see how much thick and how much growth and despite what Andre says, we have abundance of growth.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Perhaps the hair typing can be a bit off & confusing, but it doesn't take away from the great free information she's taken her time to give everyone.

I simply stick to regular old adjectives for my hair.