I don't agree with Robin Woods!

Tru_Mind

Valerie said:
I think Andre Walker is best dealing with bi-racial people with mixed textured hair and being Oprah's stylist. He does not deal with black women with tightly coiled hair, people like myself. So he make a lot of assumptions about natural hair, although his book was interesting. My hair is 4b according to his characteristics and it is doing just fine and there are a lot of ladies on this board with 4a/4b type hair and it is very long and yet they should be in Andre Walker's book. Andre like a lot of people want black woman with tightly coiled hair to feel very upset and long for a different texturised hair, that is why before I am about to wash my hair and love to comb it out and see how much thick and how much growth and despite what Andre says, we have abundance of growth.

I don't believe that he is only best dealing with bi-racial people with mixed textured. He wouldn't have been Oprah's stylist for so long if that was true. He still has his own salon and he still works there when Oprah doesn't need him and he does a beautiful job. Also, most of his models are type 4 thoughout his book(not including Oprah).

ANDRE'S PICS OF TYPE 4A, AND 4B HAIR THAT HE STYLED

4A

4A

4B

About Andre saying that type 4 for hair doesn't grow long, he says, "In its natural state, sometimes Type 4 doesn't grow very long because every time you comb it, it breaks(Of course, if you have dreadlocks and never comb them or keep them, braided, you hair can and does grow quite long.)"

I believe this to be true too, and LHCF does too. Not only type 4, but all types can grow their hair much longer than ever if they get locs, braid it up and leave it alone...such as Robin Woods.

He also speaks about much needed moisture...that's true for type 3 and 4. I still truly understand Andre's book and his system.

Last edited:

Tru_Mind

Vintagecoilylocks said:
Since we know for sure Amel is natural what type would you say she was? I love her hair.

Vintagecoilylocks, I would like to know that answer too. Amel and whom ever has done or does her hair knows for sure, because you can't always type someones hair by looking at a photo. It's about what the hair does naturally. I could only guess. My purpose for starting this thread is to show how Halles former stylists typed her hair and someone(Robin Woods) that has never styled Halle's hair completely goes against what Halle's stylists said and types it herself.

My guess is 3b(according to Andre'), even if Amel has more than one texture. Just as Robin Woods, I'm going by what I see. Also, Amel changes the look of her texture often.

3b-medium amount of curl, ranging for bouncy ringlets to tight corkscrews.

Last edited:

Tru_Mind

Browndilocks said:
Perhaps the hair typing can be a bit off & confusing, but it doesn't take away from the great free information she's taken her time to give everyone.

I simply stick to regular old adjectives for my hair.

I agree Browndilocks...because before I came to LHCF I used to visit growafrohairlong.com twice daily along with napturally.com for motiviation. I loved her old site and I love the improved one, but this time the hair type part really stood out this time. I saw Halle in that same category on the old site, but thought nothing of it because I thought that she was saying the Halle was relaxed...which was true.

Ladies if Halle was type 4 I wouldn't have a problem...but she's not...and that's my point.