Why so many subcategoriesfor type 3 hair?

Tru_Mind

The first time I heard about hair typing was on nappturality.com, which confused the hell out of me, because I had no idea of what they were talking about.

Then I found growafrohairlong.com, and saw that I was a 3a/b...and I was satisfied. Then I purchased Andre' Talks Hair, and saw that I was a 3b especially since he invented this mess...and again I was satisfied.

Now, that I'm here at LHCF I see 3a, 3b,and 3c. What? What exactly is 3c? I've read the description and I'm still confused, because Andre's description of a 4a is the same as 3c. Also, the tight corkscrew hair was 3b in Andre's book.

Since I see members like hairlove, saddity1, flowerhair, and some other classify their hair as 3b/c. My hair is similar to theirs, so I said well I guess I'm a 3b/c too. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

This hair typing stuff is so not worth the frustration, but why so many typing categories for type 3? Type 1,2,and 4's aren't confused.

/images/graemlins/ohwell.gifI know...I need to post some pictures! I will as soon as I can. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

inthepink

I don't think it really matters all that much but it is somewhat helpful on hair boards b/c not everyone has a picture. So, you can at least get an idea of their hair by the description and know if their products/regimen might work for you or vice versa.

Naturallycurly.com gives descriptions of the various 3's that might be helpful. There are SO many possibilities that I don't think anyone is any absolute category.

http://naturallycurly2.com/curl411/types.php

Tru_Mind

Thanks hairlove you're right, but Andre said that 3b hair has two textures curlier at the crown. So, the crown is 3c?

Tru_Mind

[ QUOTE ]
SandySea said:
I have never understood the description for 4b. What does a "z pattern" look like?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good question...maybe 4b lies flat with a short wave pattern instead of tight ringlets like 4a?

Ayeshia

doesn't the z pattern sorta look like small crimps? ive never seen anyone with z pattern hair though

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
tru_mind said:
Thanks hairlove you're right, but Andre said that 3b hair has two textures curlier at the crown. So, the crown is 3c?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...I don't know. I am not a master at hair types either! My crown is very loose and my hair tends to curl mostly at the ends. Looser curls in front and tighter curls in the back. I feel like the best place I fit is 3b/c. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Tru_Mind

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
tru_mind said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...I don't know. I am not a master at hair types either! My crown is very loose and my hair tends to curl mostly at the ends. Looser curls in front and tighter curls in the back. I feel like the best place I fit is 3b/c. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the opposite I have very very loose thin curls(no ringlets) in the back, and in the crown area I have loose waves and the waves curl at the ends.

SandySea

I've never seen anything like a z pattern either. Maybe he means that it's an even tighter coil. Who knows.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
On my crown, most of the strands grow in a very small wave pattern that is very difficult to define (if at all). I think that is the 'z' Andre talks about.

ChocolateCutee

does it matter what your hair type is? as long as you have hair on your head you should be happy lol
I basically see those hair typing systems ridiculous. is there really a need to know if your a 3b, 3c whatever.
whatever works for your hair may not work for other 3c's and visa versa.

Valerie

[ QUOTE ]
TigerLily said:
4b doesn't have a curl pattern at all. I have 4b hair. I don't have any curls, waves, nothing but frizz!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried using aloe vera gel, I have type 4b hair, certain products help to enhance your curls. I have type 4b hair also. Although Andre Walker catergorization of hair types is very helpful, I personally think that it has caused more problems than it has solved, people thinking hair types are better than other, some people would like to go natural, but they don't have like Tracee Ellis Ross, so they can't do it. Also when he said that 4b doesn't grow to long length, which is quite frankly not true, because we have a lot of ladies here on this board, with very long hair, who would be class themselves as 4b, also if you go on nappturality.com board, you will see their albums, which is not in locs. Type 4b needs very gently handling as it breaks very easily, you don't see the breakage it sort of dissolves, and I had to go back to my grannies hair care regime, washing weekly, I also do cw, daily or daily herbal rinses, with added glycerine and rosewater, using castor oil and aloe vera gel, essential oils such as Rosemary and adding a teaspoon of bicarbonate of water if you live in a hard water area. I also have learned that maybe our type of hair is not suitable for relaxing, or it has to be relaxed or texturised by people who know what they are doing. Since I have been following that regime, my hair has grown a lot, it needs a lot of moisture, I highlighted my hair using L'Oreal Colour Experte and I am very pleased how my hair is looking and I would not wish for any ones hair but my own. Once our hair (4b) is looked after properly with gently loving care, it looks like the finest angora, I would advise any one to eat healthy, get good multivitamin and mineral supplement, a good hair supplement, there are several good ones on the hair market. Use herbs, glycerine, castor oil, rosewater, good products and not the cheap rubbish which is aimed at the Afro-American/Caribbean/South American market, because it's rubbish and all those who make that stuff would not put it on their granmothers hair. Or if you have time, make your own, it's cheaper, better quality and there are loads of websites, such as long hair lovers, this one and many other with recipes for hair growth, conditioners, rinses etc.

EbonyF

[ QUOTE ]
SandySea said:
I've never seen anything like a z pattern either. Maybe he means that it's an even tighter coil. Who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

When either is pulled taunt, it will be straight. hth's.

skegeesmb

That's a good picture Ebony. If you know the actress Cleo Lane her hair looks the same as Gloria Rubens hair which is supposed to be a 3c. Honestly I think both type 3 and type 4 hair need more than just two categories.

All type 4 hair doesn't look the same. For instance both Yante Coi (her album is down) and DeeCoily have type 4a hair. But their hair looks completely different. Dee has curls when her hair is wet that are recognizeable, but when her hair dries, you don't see it as easily. Yante Coi's hair still has curls wet or dry.

Andre himself categorizes his hair as a 3b, but according to NC.com or here he would be a 3c because his curls aren't big at all, in fact as his hair grows out he has "big" hair.

Tru_Mind

[ QUOTE ]
skegeesmb said:
That's a good picture Ebony. If you know the actress Cleo Lane her hair looks the same as Gloria Rubens hair which is supposed to be a 3c. Honestly I think both type 3 and type 4 hair need more than just two categories.

All type 4 hair doesn't look the same. For instance both Yante Coi (her album is down) and DeeCoily have type 4a hair. But their hair looks completely different. Dee has curls when her hair is wet that are recognizeable, but when her hair dries, you don't see it as easily. Yante Coi's hair still has curls wet or dry.

Andre himself categorizes his hair as a 3b, but according to NC.com or here he would be a 3c because his curls aren't big at all, in fact as his hair grows out he has "big" hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi skegeesmb, I agree with everything you said. Andre' confuses me he should have had more pictures and more of detailed explanation for his hair types. I do understand that, for example if two people that have type 3a/b hair will be different one my have more 3a than 3b vica versa which makes the hair type look totally different.

dreemssold

[ QUOTE ]
EbonyF said:
[ QUOTE ]
SandySea said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm not a 4b, then /images/graemlins/confused.gif? My hair doesn't have that pattern at the roots. The hair typing is getting really dumb and confusing to me. I'm not even sure that what other 4bs do works for me anyway /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I don't think that hair types are that important. I could have more in common with someone who also has thick, coarse hair but is a 4a or b or even a 2b or c. I think the term 3c is for those who are in between 3b and 4a. You might as well call it 4a with bigger curls. I don't think 3c was one of André's original hair types.

There is so much more to hair typing than just curl size. Texture, thickness, density, length etc must all be considered when it comes to choosing styling methods and hair products. What used to work when my hair was short doesn't really work now, and vice versa.

TigerLily

[ QUOTE ]
Valerie said:
[ QUOTE ]
TigerLily said:
4b doesn't have a curl pattern at all. I have 4b hair. I don't have any curls, waves, nothing but frizz!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried using aloe vera gel, I have type 4b hair, certain products help to enhance your curls. I have type 4b hair also. Although Andre Walker catergorization of hair types is very helpful, I personally think that it has caused more problems than it has solved, people thinking hair types are better than other, some people would like to go natural, but they don't have like Tracee Ellis Ross, so they can't do it. Also when he said that 4b doesn't grow to long length, which is quite frankly not true, because we have a lot of ladies here on this board, with very long hair, who would be class themselves as 4b, also if you go on nappturality.com board, you will see their albums, which is not in locs. Type 4b needs very gently handling as it breaks very easily, you don't see the breakage it sort of dissolves, and I had to go back to my grannies hair care regime, washing weekly, I also do cw, daily or daily herbal rinses, with added glycerine and rosewater, using castor oil and aloe vera gel, essential oils such as Rosemary and adding a teaspoon of bicarbonate of water if you live in a hard water area. I also have learned that maybe our type of hair is not suitable for relaxing, or it has to be relaxed or texturised by people who know what they are doing. Since I have been following that regime, my hair has grown a lot, it needs a lot of moisture, I highlighted my hair using L'Oreal Colour Experte and I am very pleased how my hair is looking and I would not wish for any ones hair but my own. Once our hair (4b) is looked after properly with gently loving care, it looks like the finest angora, I would advise any one to eat healthy, get good multivitamin and mineral supplement, a good hair supplement, there are several good ones on the hair market. Use herbs, glycerine, castor oil, rosewater, good products and not the cheap rubbish which is aimed at the Afro-American/Caribbean/South American market, because it's rubbish and all those who make that stuff would not put it on their granmothers hair. Or if you have time, make your own, it's cheaper, better quality and there are loads of websites, such as long hair lovers, this one and many other with recipes for hair growth, conditioners, rinses etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope haven't tried aloe vera gel. I've tried Fantasia ICE gel, which I have to pile on a lot of that. I really don't like that. Then, if I have to scratch my head, forget it - frizz.

Now that I know my hair won't curl or wave, I accept that and am happy! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
[ QUOTE ]
FlowerHair said:
There is so much more to hair typing than just curl size. Texture, thickness, density, length etc must all be considered when it comes to choosing styling methods and hair products. What used to work when my hair was short doesn't really work now, and vice versa.

[/ QUOTE ]
ITA!

caress

I'm not sure if you can fully tell your hairtype by your new growth. Though I think you can tell if you are a type 3 or 4 by looking at it it may be harder to figure out what subcategory you belong to.

jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
caress said:
I'm not sure if you can fully tell your hairtype by your new growth . Though I think you can tell if you are a type 3 or 4 by looking at it it may be harder to figure out what subcategory you belong to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with this. My own hair looks different than what i thought prior to my BC. It's definitely coiler than i was expecting. It's not what "I" define as 4a, so i'm sticking with my 4b analysis. -- jainygirl

blkbeauty

Andre’s system should be taking with a grain of salt (did I say that right?) It can be use as a good tool for measuring what category you can familiarize your hair with (type 2, type 3 or type 4). But IMO, there are not two heads of hair that are the same. I don’t have hair EXACTLY like my mother or my father.

But if I would say what category I can relate to I will say 4A.

SandySea

I agree with your point of view about this classification system. Before I came here, I have to admit that I was pretty ignorant of the wide variety of hair textures that existed. We're all a unique blend of genetic influences that shape our hair.

BAILEYSCREAM

Yep, that is very helpful because it's easy to understand...so mine is definitely 4a at the back and 3c at the front and middle. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
EbonyF said:
[ QUOTE ]
SandySea said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]