I dont know what to do anymore.

tatambabyy

OKay, breakage has always been an issue for me. It's like no matter how well I take care of my hair, the breakage still continues. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
I shampoo my hair with organix tee trea mint shampoo once a week
then I use HE hello hydration as a conditioner
I either DC with Silicone Mix, Neutrogena Triple Mask, or Joico K Pak
Then I use my Silicone Mix leave in
Sometimes I use my Aphogee Keratin & green tea reconstructerizer
then I use my treseme heat protectant
blowdry then flat iron(which I know is a BIG no no):ohwell:
Having short hair, I have to apply heat for it to look good.
I've been upping my protein since I recently used bigen and my hair actually likes the protein.
I use mizani h20 nightime treatment twice a day and seal with evoo oil.
the nightime treatment got good reviews, but doesn't seem to be 'stopping my breakage in it's tracks'
any advice?
I am considering getting a sow-in to keep my hand out my head.

TIA ladies.

Determined22

What worked for me was letting go of the direct heat until I got my hair healthy. I used to blowdry on high once a week and flatiron almost everyday.

You can try braids or a sew-in to give your strands a rest from all the direct heat and still look good.

tatambabyy

yeah I think getting a sow in or braids is my only option. Which I don't mind at all. I just want to do something before I get patches of broken hair. Been there before, not tryin to go there again.
thanks determined.

supermodelsonya

You stated that you've been "upping your protein", but why? I know you said that your hair likes it but it is possible that you are messing with your moisture/protein balance. Also, even with heat protectant ( I use Tresseme too), blowdrying and flat-ironing your hair is a no-go.

You should really consider the sew-in. It is how I've been able to retain length because like I answered in another thread...stupidity is my biggest obstacle from getting more length.

tatambabyy

You stated that you've been "upping your protein", but why? I know you said that your hair likes it but it is possible that you are messing with your moisture/protein balance. Also, even with heat protectant ( I use Tresseme too), blowdrying and flat-ironing your hair is a no-go.

You should really consider the sew-in. It is how I've been able to retain length because like I answered in another thread...stupidity is my biggest obstacle from getting more length.

I recently used bigen powder so I figured I would up my protein to make my hair stronger so it won't break off. Bad idea?
Should I be using more moisturizing products?

supermodelsonya

I recently used bigen powder so I figured I would up my protein to make my hair stronger so it won't break off. Bad idea?
Should I be using more moisturizing products?

Your hair will always tell you when you are doing something wrong. I really think you should up your moisture and the breakage should stop. I don't really see anything in your regimen that could be the cause of your breakage...except for your Hand in Hair Syndrome, and I think you may be using too much heat.

Again, I want to reinterate that sew-ins are really good for keeping your hands out of your hair and stop putting so much heat in your head. If it wasn't for the full sew in, I probably would be stuck at NL wondering what I was doing wrong.

locabouthair

instead of using heat, you should try steam rollers they arent damaging because it's steam heat instead of dry heat.

there's vidal sasson and caruso rollers. vidal is cheaper though.

if your hair is breaking i'm sure the heat is not helping, the best thing is to let it go. try out the rollers and see if you like them.

does your hair feel dry? does it snap easily?

camilla

I ALSO SUGGEST THAT YOU GET A BETTER MOISTURIZING CON THAN HELLO HYDRATION I ONLY USE THAT TO CO WASH I DONT REMEMBER THE INGREDIENTS ...BUT... THERE WERE A COUPLE OF THINGS IN IT THAT I DID NOT CARE FOR :ohwell:THERE ARE ALOT OF INEXSPENSIVE ONES OUT THERE

kandake

I think you pretty much no where your problem may be as you mentioned it in your post.

Like everyone else mentioned try cutting down on the use of heat to see if things get better.

Try to use carusos or do a roller wrap (roller-set and then wrap it up for a straighter look).

If you don't want to do that maybe you should consider hiding your hair until it grows out. Thats what I'm doing.

Last edited:

beans4reezy

Your hair will always tell you when you are doing something wrong. I really think you should up your moisture and the breakage should stop. I don't really see anything in your regimen that could be the cause of your breakage...except for your Hand in Hair Syndrome, and I think you may be using too much heat.

Again, I want to reinterate that sew-ins are really good for keeping your hands out of your hair and stop putting so much heat in your head. If it wasn't for the full sew in, I probably would be stuck at NL wondering what I was doing wrong.

I'm thinking about getting a sew in b/c I can't take my NG anymore,. But how do you DC your hair in a sew-in without it looking a hot mess?

supermodelsonya

I'm thinking about getting a sew in b/c I can't take my NG anymore,. But how do you DC your hair in a sew-in without it looking a hot mess?

To tell you the truth it is difficult to DC when you are in a sew in...especially a full one with closure. Some ladies mix thier oils up in a bottle and applying it between the tracks. Some even co-wash while they are under a weave.

I wash 1x a week and use African Pride Braid Spray between the tracks. Sometimes, I'll apply some oil and that's it. As you can see in my siggy pic, that I still was able to get some growth.

Your Cheeziness

Since you are relaxed AND have a heavy direct heat usage regimen, I think if you lessen your direct heat usage and manipulation and STILL have an issue with excessive breakage, a one time hard protein treatment may help strengthen your hair stopping breakage. Hard protein treatments can be used to combat mushy, over-moisturized hair AND excessive breakage due to worn, down, damaged, porous hair. Aphogee 2 Step Treatment and Nexxus Emergencee are two options. If you go this route, your moisture DC MUST be up to the challenge of balancing this treatment.

Check into styling for short hair, like pincurls or even rollerwraps...yes, you can rollerwrap to an extent with short hair and still get the "bump" you want. HTH

CHECKMATE!

I think the sew in is a bad idea if you have breakage...this will only exacerbate the problem...up your moisture by using heavy moisturizing conditioners to stop the breakage,you may have protein overload:yep:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
OKay, breakage has always been an issue for me. It's like no matter how well I take care of my hair, the breakage still continues. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
I've been upping my protein since I recently used bigen and my hair actually likes the protein.
the nightime treatment got good reviews, but doesn't seem to be 'stopping my breakage in it's tracks'
any advice?

TIA ladies.

You are using too much protein as it is: Silicone Mix, Neutrogena Triple Mask, or Joico K Pak, Aphogee Keratin & green tea reconstructerizer

The only moisture you are using are: HE hello hydration

You should try to find a DC that is really good for moisture, and incorprate a moisture leave-in as well. I don't like Silcone Mix for me, but if it works for you then try to use that once a week and follow with a moisture based DC

gissellr78

any advice?

TIA ladies.

IMO...The only thing that controls my breakage is protein you need something like Nexxus emergencee it controls it and leaves your hair soft...also if you blow dry dont flat iron!!!!!!!!!! big no no

Stepiphanie

I definitely think the heat is a culprit. We have a similar hair cut, and I know how hard it is to get it to look good w/ no heat. I've been airdrying and doing a saran wrap baggie under the hooded dryer to help it look flat iron smooth. So far so good. And as the ladies mentioned you may want to up the moisture DC.

tatambabyy

I did an aphogee protein treatment about two months ago, a week after my relaxer. its weird because the first two weeks after a relaxer my hair doesn't break off but when NG starts coming my hair starts breaking. the only time my hair doesn't break off is like the first week or two after my relaxer.

now im contemplating on getting a sow in because it is possible it can worsen my breakage issues. but I have got sow ins in the past and it did help my hair grow, but of course there was still breakage.

any suggestions on moisturizing conditioners AND DC?

I recently bought some CON ultra moist. shampoo and Africa's best hair mayo but I guess the mayo is no good since its protein.

Last edited:

tatambabyy

I definitely think the heat is a culprit. We have a similar hair cut, and I know how hard it is to get it to look good w/ no heat. I've been airdrying and doing a saran wrap baggie under the hooded dryer to help it look flat iron smooth. So far so good. And as the ladies mentioned you may want to up the moisture DC.
saran wrap baggie? going to do a search on this right now:yep:

tatambabyy

IMO...The only thing that controls my breakage is protein you need something like Nexxus emergencee it controls it and leaves your hair soft...also if you blow dry dont flat iron!!!!!!!!!! big no no
since i just did a aphogee treatment about three weeks ago, will the nexxus treatment be too soon? If the aphogee didn't work, im not sure nexxus will:nono:

Solitude

You are using too much protein as it is: Silicone Mix, Neutrogena Triple Mask, or Joico K Pak, Aphogee Keratin & green tea reconstructerizer

The only moisture you are using are: HE hello hydration

You should try to find a DC that is really good for moisture, and incorprate a moisture leave-in as well. I don't like Silcone Mix for me, but if it works for you then try to use that once a week and follow with a moisture based DC

Silicon Mix is protein?? I've been using it as my moisturizing DC. Goodness, I didn't know that.

Jhunt-smith

have u tried jamila henna or FNWL henna?? that makes my strands VERRRYYY strong. but u will need to moisturize like no other

Solitude

What worked for me was letting go of the direct heat until I got my hair healthy. I used to blowdry on high once a week and flatiron almost everyday.

You can try braids or a sew-in to give your strands a rest from all the direct heat and still look good.

I agree with this completely. Is your hair too short to rollerset? Mine was Chin Length when I started roller-setting.

tatambabyy

Silicon Mix is protein?? I've been using it as my moisturizing DC. Goodness, I didn't know that.
yeah, it's light protein

have u tried jamila henna or FNWL henna?? that makes my strands VERRRYYY strong. but u will need to moisturize like no other
no, i never heard of it. where can i get it.

I agree with this completely. Is your hair too short to rollerset? Mine was Chin Length when I started roller-setting.
yeah, the front is long enough,the back is short.

kandake

I was roller-setting my hair when it was above my ears and shaved at the nape.

My styles weren't extra cute but it was decent enough. I didn't try the roller setting and wrapping at that time but I'm sure it would have looked a little better.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't realize my pics were sooooooooooooooo big. I took them down.

Last edited: