I Finished My Scalp Oil!

atl_mulattamami

Ok, so I finished my scalp oil. It didn't take as much mixing as I thought it would. Anyway here is the recipe:

4 FL oz. 100% Pure Jojoba Oil
5 drops Rosemary EO
5 drops Lavender EO
5 drops Tea Tree EO

Also, I may go back and add like one or two more drops of one of these. Probably the Rosemary.

I oiled my scalp with it and it felt really good. The oil moisturized the scalp without being greasy (there is no trace of oil, my scalp just feels supple) The EO's gave my scalp a nice tingly feeling. Nothing extreme, just a little tingle. It felt really nice. Relieved the itch from my braids. So yea, I think I have a winner! All that's left is getting one of those color applicator bottles for easy distribution (today I had to apply it like grease with my fingertips.)

atl_mulattamami

Yea I was wondering if it was too much. I'm not experiencing anything weird though. I will give it a week and see before posting final results.

The smell isn't even strong though. Even when first applying I only smelled it a little bit. Now that it's been a while I can't smell or feel anything at all. All I can say is my scalp feels relieved from the braids. Maybe it's because I don't have a tender scalp? Anyway, if it ends up being too much I will dilute it with some more Jojoba Oil.

Last edited:

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

I recently tried doing my own mix as well with carrier oils (castor oil, jojoba, avocado, vitamin E & Coconut oil) essential oils (rosemary, basil, peppermint, tea tree, rose) and herbs.(Celestial Seasonings herb tea sampler teabags & rosemary and sage leaves) I will let you know how it works for me.

MeechUK

MeechUK
cookie507 said:
Ok, so I finished my scalp oil. It didn't take as much mixing as I thought it would. Anyway here is the recipe:

4 FL oz. 100% Pure Jojoba Oil
5 drops Rosemary EO
5 drops Lavender EO
5 drops Tea Tree EO

Also, I may go back and add like one or two more drops of one of these. Probably the Rosemary.

I oiled my scalp with it and it felt really good. The oil moisturized the scalp without being greasy (there is no trace of oil, my scalp just feels supple) The EO's gave my scalp a nice tingly feeling. Nothing extreme, just a little tingle. It felt really nice. Relieved the itch from my braids. So yea, I think I have a winner! All that's left is getting one of those color applicator bottles for easy distribution (today I had to apply it like grease with my fingertips.)

I use about 7 drops of these eo & jojoba to a cup of distilled water for my oil spritz. The quantities you use sound ok, especially if it works for you! I also find them very soothing and moisturising without any greasiness.

MeechUK

renee_n_3000

Cookie, that oil blend sounds wonderful. I use lavender and rosemary in my pre-shampoo treatments (when I remember to do them :) ), in a base of olive oil and shea butter. Sometimes I add a bit of lemongrass. I've been using my blends for years but have not tried adding tea tree oil yet, which I understand is quite potent/tingly. I plan to, though. When I do, I will add less of it in relationship to my other essential oils at first, just to be sure my scalp and hair can take it.

If your blend does not irritate your scalp, you may want to try gradually adding a few more drops of essential oils, rather than further diluting them with more jojoba oil. Most information I have found suggests using 15 - 20 drops of essential oil per ounce of carrier oil for hair blends. I use about 10 - 15 drops to stay on the safe side of things and that works well for me.

It occurs to me that since jojoba oil is much thinner than my oilve/shea base, it might be more effective in delivering your essential oils to your scalp and hair, so perhaps it is best for you to use less drops of EO than I do. But, I do think you could safely go a little higher than fifteen drops total per 4 ounces of jojoba oil if you want.

Here is a link to a site that gives recommendations as to how much essential oil to use for different purposes. The info about blending hair oils is down toward the bottom of the page. (They suggest using 20 drops of EO per ounce of carrier oil which, as I said, I am hesitant to do)

http://www.tptradingco.com/essentia.htm

I hope this helps. :)

atl_mulattamami

Ok well I'm on day three of the mix and my scalp isn't acting up. In fact it feels better. It's not itchy and it feels very moisturized. So I won't be diluting it. I don't think I'll add any more though...Thanks everyone!

renee_n_3000

cookie507 said:
Ok well I'm on day three of the mix and my scalp isn't acting up. In fact it feels better. It's not itchy and it feels very moisturized. So I won't be diluting it. I don't think I'll add any more though...Thanks everyone!

That is great news! Sometimes in the beginning of winter, my scalp itches for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure why. I will keep your blend in mind and try it if that happens again this year. :yep: