I Hate Stylists!!!!!!!!!

NoNapNique said:
Well... Most of the time I wear my hair in a bun.
But to answer your question - to keep it looking "salon styled" whenever I wear it down... first I learned how to self-trim. I've been doing 1/8 inch dustings about every 6 weeks since May to even up my hair, as it is growing out some short spots (I wish I had recent pics, because it has really improved since my album pics!) I let my hair air dry as much as possible, then if I want a sleek look I will use my ceramic flat iron on a medium setting (and always with heat protectant). But In order to take care of your own hair, you definitely have to have a good idea of how you like your hair to look, or else you will get frustrated and give up. I like my hair bouncy, thick and full... So I gear all my styling and maintenance products towards that. For instance, for that "salon bounce" I used to get when I had my hair blow FRIED and curled with marcel irons - I invested in Caruso steam rollers... Then I follow up with KeraCare essential oils for that "salon shine" (or Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade, then lightly spritz with Luster's Pink Oil Glosser). Soon as I walk out the door, my hair just bounces and blows in the wind - and people are asking who does my hair! Then at night, I put a little Vitapointe on my ends and do pin curls, the next day it looks exactly the same!
Come on... TAKE THE 'NO STYLISTS' CHALLENGE! :bouncegre

Thanks for the advice NoNapNique! :up:

I'm going to have to check out those Caruso Steam rollers. How do they work?

I might invest in the "NO STYLIST" Challenge because I noticed that when I took a break from stylists (due to a lack of adequate funds--lol) and just did my hair at home using the techniques from hair books and this wonderrful board, I noticed that my hair was so much thicker and healthier. Even my stylist was impressed when I went back to her.

I think I will cut-down on stylists. If not for my hair's sake, for my wallet's sake. I just cancelled my hair appointment yesterday, and washed and conditioned + airdried my hair at home. I like the way my hair looks and feels after going to a salon, but my hair is so fine that I think even bi-weekly rollersetting thins it out a bit. That fine toothed comb is the devil! :lol:

I'm not saying I'm giving up stylists all-together! :eek: But I think I'll just try to go maybe once a month instead of every other week.

Mizani_Mrs said:
Just remember 'NOT ALL STYLISTS ARE CREATED EQUAL'. I seriously thought they were. I mean afterall...aren't they studying the same Malady Cosmo book??? As for me....i've found better luck in an international chain salon called Hair Cuttery and I hear JCPenneys is pretty good as well. If you are just trying a stylist out...go there for a rollerset or blowdry when your hair is recently permed because they can't mess that up, no matter what they put in it. See how they handle it, then ask that stylist questions as far as relaxers and their technique and tell them your 'relaxer wishes' and you can get a feel if he will respect the wishes or if he keep interrupting you and telling you that his way is better. If so then simply go to another stylist for your rollerset (same salon) until you find a good one. You'd be surprised how my first convo went when i first went there...My stylist (a spanish chick) was telling me her technique which was very good...then another stylist chimed in about how she relax all the way to the ends and how she uses a Nexxus Emergencee trtmt to permanently stop the breakage she caused. (i wanted to slap her soooo bad, how a temporary condtioner is gonna stop permenant relaxer damage?) So i make a point to call for an appt for MY STYLIST...even if i have to wait an extra week to get on her calendar.
I agree with your advice all the way. ALWAYS start with a basic service (no chemicals) the first couple of times you frequent a new stylist. However, it is not true that all stylists are taught from the Milady publications. The school I attend does not use Milady, but has developed its own curriculum, which is only now being made available to others in the industry, including "professional" licensed stylists.

Ladies, it is easy to blame someone else. And wrong is wrong. But we (especially LHCF members, because most of us know better) can't allow someone to jack our hair and then blame them for it.

Reading posts like this further reinforces my belief and expectation that I am well on my way to being an EXTREMELY successful stylist because I do not even come CLOSE to being the same as the stylists mentioned in your (and my) personal experiences. It's never fair to over-generalize, because all are never the same, be it concerning race, gender or occupation.

And yes, some stylists do suffer from large egos. They are generally the ones who don't listen to their clients. Stay away from THEM.

Good day.

Back