I have changed. 4b hair and no longer a victim.

shunemite

Yesterday, I went to the clinic to get a physical and TB skin test for school. The medical assistant had extra long MBL probably, I couldn't really tell, coz it was in a ponytail. I asked her where she was from coz she had an accent. "Ethiopia", she replied. So instantly I realized her natural hair was like 3c. I have 4b hair in a bob. I admired her hair. What shocked me was, as she took my blood pressure and I stared at her hair, is that I didn't have the usual, "my hair will never be that long" thought. We chatted about hair regimens, coconut oil and amla oil. After she left, I thought to myself, "wow, I've changed. I think that my hair will be as long as that in several years if I just stick to my regimen."

Then in the evening, I went home, and was with my cousin, who has 3c hair down to her back, and a mutual male friend. My male friend began to make fun of 4b hair and said that it's ugly and never grows. He was praising my cousin and saying that she's lucky she doesn't have 4b hair like he and I. I corrected him, and said that all hair is good hair. I then told him that I see people with 4b hair down to their back all the time (I was referring to LHCF). He laughed out loud, and I didn't get ticked off. I didn't argue with him. After he left, I thought, "wow have I changed!"

My experience, so far.

PPGbubbles

I am glad to hear that you have had a change in perspective. Many women think their hair wont grow and envy women with long hair as it the same feat was unatainble.

If you keep your healthy hair practices you will be able to acheive great lengths as well!

I dont know if you are relaxed, natural or transitioning (doesnt really matter)
What does matter is that you have made the "Mental Transition" needed to grow long afro- textured hair :)

almond eyes

I knew that I had to change my mentality when my close friend who is Ethiopian threatened to slap me if I didn't take better care of my hair. She told me that her Ethiopian cousin (read not all Ethiopian women have stereotypical 3c/b/a) who has fine 4a hair like mine had waist length natural hair. She said if her cousin could grow and retain her hair, I should be able to do the same and she told me that I should never wear hair extensions on my fine hair again and start getting down with oils and butters. That was last year and I am so glad that she had the guts to tell me to better take care of my hair and to stop making excuses.

Best,
Almond Eyes

shunemite

I knew that I had to change my mentality when my close friend who is Ethiopian threatened to slap me if I didn't take better care of my hair. She told me that her Ethiopian cousin (read not all Ethiopian women have stereotypical 3c/b/a) who has fine 4a hair like mine had waist length natural hair. She said if her cousin could grow and retain her hair, I should be able to do the same and she told me that I should never wear hair extensions on my fine hair again and start getting down with oils and butters. That was last year and I am so glad that she had the guts to tell me to better take care of my hair and to stop making excuses.

Best,
Almond Eyes
Thanks for bringing that up because the lady at the clinic told me that not all Ethiopians have 3c hair or long hair. She repeated it over and over, saying "not all of us". I asked her for her regimen while she took my vitals (yes, I was more interested in her regimen than my vitals!) and she basically has a no heat regimen and uses lots of coconut oil and deep conditions over night.

SEMO

Yesterday, I went to the clinic to get a physical and TB skin test for school. The medical assistant had extra long MBL probably, I couldn't really tell, coz it was in a ponytail. I asked her where she was from coz she had an accent. "Ethiopia", she replied. So instantly I realized her natural hair was like 3c. I have 4b hair in a bob. I admired her hair. What shocked me was, as she took my blood pressure and I stared at her hair, is that I didn't have the usual, "my hair will never be that long" thought. We chatted about hair regimens, coconut oil and amla oil. After she left, I thought to myself, "wow, I've changed. I think that my hair will be as long as that in several years if I just stick to my regimen."

Then in the evening, I went home, and was with my cousin, who has 3c hair down to her back, and a mutual male friend. My male friend began to make fun of 4b hair and said that it's ugly and never grows. He was praising my cousin and saying that she's lucky she doesn't have 4b hair like he and I. I corrected him, and said that all hair is good hair. I then told him that I see people with 4b hair down to their back all the time (I was referring to LHCF). He laughed out loud, and I didn't get ticked off. I didn't argue with him. After he left, I thought, "wow have I changed!"

My experience, so far.

I still just can NOT understand how people fix their mouths to say things like this. :nono: :perplexed

Glad you have found a regimen to get you to your goals and that you don't let other people's feelings/perceptions get you down on your hair journey. :)

shunemite

I still just can NOT understand how people fix their mouths to say things like this. :nono: :perplexed

Glad you have found a regimen to get you to your goals and that you don't let other people's feelings/perceptions get you down on your hair journey. :)

Thank you. I'm not even concerned any more. This guy has 4b hair and he's dark skinned, just like me. He stays talking down on women who look just like him. I've learned that it's really self-hate. He will hopefully learn to love himself and how God made him. :grin: I'm just so proud of myself for not arguing with him for an hour like I used to do in the past.

Last edited:

hillytmj

I think that if you believe you can reach longer lengths, you can achieve it through faith, prayer and good hair care practices. I think we can achieve all of our personal goals by combining our faith and positive practices.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I enjoyed your story. Doesn't it feel good to let go of all the negative hair drama? I'm so glad I LHCF. It changed my perpsective and I gained so much understanding about different hair types.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I feel sorry for your "friend" and his negative ideas, but I'm happy that you've had this wonderful epiphany! Thanks for sharing your story, I really enjoyed reading it.