I just completed a 33 week stretch......

~NanCeBoTwin~

Hi ladies-This is kind of long sorry!!!

I just wanted to share my experience and progress with everyone.....

I hope you don't mind.

I joined the board in Dec 08, however, I did not really become active until Feb 09. In Feb, I came across Sylver2, and looking at her youtube vids and her fotki, I decided I'd stretch my relaxer. My initial thought was to stretch for, 17 or 19 weeks. Once I hit that mark I said, ok I'll go 6 months, I hit the 6 month mark and decided, why not do 9 months.

Several times during my stretch I'd feel like I was shedding too much and that I was actually damaging my hair. Every time I'd feel that way I'd go see my stylist and have to do an inspection. Each time, it was just paranoia from my new hair practices. I'd never cowashed prior to this, never done braid out or twist outs. I was used to combing my hair everyday, but when you are doing braid outs and twist outs not combing your hair as often, when you do finally comb of course ALOT of hair will come out....It took a while for that to sink in!

We'll I didn't quite make it to 9 months, I made it to 8 months, 33 weeks post to be exact, but I'm still very pround of myself none the less.

Prior to this I was relaxing every 9-10 weeks. I was not retaining much length at all, but my hair was fairly healthy.

I was so excited about relaxing I bought the relaxer Friday and almost put it in myself, and no I am NOT a self relaxer...LOL...Thank goodness my BFF talked me out of that quickly!

So my niece came over yesterday, she sectioned my hair into four sections and started the relaxer in the back. As she began working on the second section in the back she said, umm Aunt Angela, we have to send Uncle Dean (DH) to Sally's, you are going to need another relaxer. Thank goodness I didn't try this on Friday night is all I could say, because I was the only adult at home and would have been stuck with half of my hair relaxed, lol....In the end we used 1 and ½, my hair was literally soaking it up.

She also told me that some shops would have charged me the price of a virgin relaxer because of all my NG.

I normally use Affirm but this go round I decided to try the Silk Elements MegaSilk Olive Oil Relaxing system....I'm very pleased, I didn't burn, it did not have the relaxer smell, over all it was a GGGGREAT process!

Here are my back shots showing a comparison from Feb 09 and last night Aug 09:

I want to thank a few members by name:
Sylver2 (for all the tutorial and vids), mummysgirl (all the help with my twist outs and braid outs), Aggie, Tiffers and FlowingLocs (all three of you were a wealth of information for me when it came to cowashing and ayurveda), dlewis (all the flexi rod help)

To all the ladies in the long term stretchers challenge, it was soooooo worth it to me, keep up the good work! I've decided I'm going to stretch 6 months (24 weeks) between each relaxer from now on and I have this board to thank!

Last edited:

LushLox

Wow, you've gained so much thickness and growth! If you're able to manage the two textures successfully, stretching really is the truth! :yep:

I'd love to be able to stretch for that long, but I'm crying at 19 weeks! :ohwell: I'm touching up next week but I had always planned to touch up at 20 weeks. Might attempt six months next time, we'll see.

MummysGirl

As she began working on the second section in the back she said, umm Aunt Angela, we have to send Uncle Dean (DH) to Sally's, you are going to need another relaxer.
:lachen::lachen:

Here are my back shots showing a comparison from April 09 and last night Aug 09:

Amazing progress!!! Your hair is longer ofcourse but I can't get over the thickness!!!! Well done!!!!

Sylver2 (for all the tutorial and vids), mummysgirl (all the help with my twist outs and braid outs), Aggie, Tiffers and FlowingLocs (all three of you were a wealth of information for me when it came to cowashing and ayurveda)
Thanks so much for the shoutout :) Thanks for your help too!

To all the ladies in the long term stretchers challenge, it was soooooo worth it to me, keep up the good work! I've decided I'm going to stretch 6 months (24 weeks) between each relaxer from now on and I have this board to thank!
I plan to follow your next stretch, which will be very easy for you by the way! :yep: I'll be 57 weeks post when you're 24 weeks post!

Aggie

Congratulations on your 33 weeks stretch NanCeBoTwin. I am so impressed with your progress, so thick and noticably longer. I look forward to seeing your continued progress over the coming months during your next relaxer stretch:yep:.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Congratulations! Your hair almost looks like it belongs to another person! :up:

The furthest I've ever stretched was to 13 weeks. Now that my hair is stronger, I might try to extend to 15 weeks, then 20! :scratchch

isabella09

:clapping: Congratulation’s on your 33 week stretch. That's fantastic progress you’ve done a great job! Your hair look’s beautiful.

~NanCeBoTwin~

Wow, you've gained so much thickness and growth! If you're able to manage the two textures successfully, stretching really is the truth!

Amazing progress!!! Your hair is longer ofcourse but I can't get over the thickness!!!! Well done!!!!

Thank you ladies, I was amazed at the thickness as well….

Thanks so much for the shoutout :) Thanks for your help too!
You know I had to give you a shout out….You were one of my biggest motivators and go to people!

I plan to follow your next stretch, which will be very easy for you by the way! I'll be 57 weeks post when you're 24 weeks post!
I hope it'll be as pleasant as this stretch was. 57 weeks, that is going to be awesome for you, I can't wait for you to hit your 65 week mark, I know your hair is going to be so beautiful!!

~NanCeBoTwin~

Congratulations! Your hair almost looks like it belongs to another person! :up:

The furthest I've ever stretched was to 13 weeks. Now that my hair is stronger, I might try to extend to 15 weeks, then 20! :scratchch

I'm sure you can do it!!! The ladies in the long term stretchers thread are so knowledgable and always willing to help.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I'm sure you can do it!!! The ladies in the long term stretchers thread are so knowledgable and always willing to help.

Thanks for the encouragement! I might try it.
Actually, a close friend insists I don't need a relaxer at all. She likes how my "curls" show through my relaxed hair at 12 weeks and she thinks if I transition, it would look nice.

Reecie

Girl, your hair looks amazing!! Great progress. So do you know how many inches you gained? and what's your reggie?

~NanCeBoTwin~

Girl, your hair looks amazing!! Great progress. So do you know how many inches you gained? and what's your reggie?

Thank you. I'm not sure about the exact number of inches, I know at about 24-27 weeks I measured my NG and was over 2 inches, but not quite 2 1/2 yet.

My reggie:
Co wash 3-5 days a week
tea rinse with ayurveda powders 1-2 times a week
DC at least 2 times a week
roller sets
Once I hit about 19 weeks post roller sets were out and
twit outs, braid outs, flexi sets and bunning were all in
Oil nightly or every other night depending on my laziness (with a mix of oils and 100% AVJ)

Thats it in a nutshell.

AtlantaJJ

That was tremendous 33 weeks! I was just able to just make it to 12 weeks without going crazy. I'm going to have to study the relaxer stretch threads :scratchch

PDub

Wow! Your thickness is amazing! I usually relax around 10-11 weeks. I'm going to try going longer because I've seen so much amazing progress from ladies who really stretch. I'll have to visit the Stretchers Support thread because I get a little antsy around week 10!!!

Thanks for posting your progress. Your hair looks great!!!

panamoni

Way to go! Your hair looks much thicker and longer.

I'm at 16 weeks today, and like you did, I'm thinking I should go to 6 months now (I don't know about 9).

SmartyPants

Hi ladies-This is kind of long sorry!!!

I just wanted to share my experience and progress with everyone.....

I hope you don't mind.

I joined the board in Dec 08, however, I did not really become active until Feb 09. In Feb, I came across Sylver2, and looking at her youtube vids and her fotki, I decided I'd stretch my relaxer. My initial thought was to stretch for, 17 or 19 weeks. Once I hit that mark I said, ok I'll go 6 months, I hit the 6 month mark and decided, why not do 9 months.

Several times during my stretch I'd feel like I was shedding too much and that I was actually damaging my hair. Every time I'd feel that way I'd go see my stylist and have to do an inspection. Each time, it was just paranoia from my new hair practices. I'd never cowashed prior to this, never done braid out or twist outs. I was used to combing my hair everyday, but when you are doing braid outs and twist outs not combing your hair as often, when you do finally comb of course ALOT of hair will come out....It took a while for that to sink in!

We'll I didn't quite make it to 9 months, I made it to 8 months, 33 weeks post to be exact, but I'm still very pround of myself none the less.

Prior to this I was relaxing every 9-10 weeks. I was not retaining much length at all, but my hair was fairly healthy.

I was so excited about relaxing I bought the relaxer Friday and almost put it in myself, and no I am NOT a self relaxer...LOL...Thank goodness my BFF talked me out of that quickly!

So my niece came over yesterday, she sectioned my hair into four sections and started the relaxer in the back. As she began working on the second section in the back she said, umm Aunt Angela, we have to send Uncle Dean (DH) to Sally's, you are going to need another relaxer. Thank goodness I didn't try this on Friday night is all I could say, because I was the only adult at home and would have been stuck with half of my hair relaxed, lol....In the end we used 1 and ½, my hair was literally soaking it up.

She also told me that some shops would have charged me the price of a virgin relaxer because of all my NG.

I normally use Affirm but this go round I decided to try the Silk Elements MegaSilk Olive Oil Relaxing system....I'm very pleased, I didn't burn, it did not have the relaxer smell, over all it was a GGGGREAT process!

Here are my back shots showing a comparison from April 09 and last night Aug 09:

Sylver2 (for all the tutorial and vids), mummysgirl (all the help with my twist outs and braid outs), Aggie, Tiffers and FlowingLocs (all three of you were a wealth of information for me when it came to cowashing and ayurveda), dlewis (all the flexi rod help)

Your hair grew--obviously... but what I am stunned at is the HUGE difference in the thickness you've gained. Seriously... if my hair doesn't grow an inch during my stretch, the thickness will be well worth it!

iNicola

Nice progress, I love the thickness. Gives me even more motivation to continue my stretch and I need to keep into consideration that I might need more relaxer the longer I stretch.

Nice Lady

There is a 300% difference in your hair and it looks excellent. You are motivating me to try to exceed doing my mini-goal of 12 weeks.

Luscious Locks

alll i can say is wow. you've really increased your thickness and length. i'm proud of you, and i commend you. you really are giving me great inspiration to hold off on my 12 week relaxer and push through

Lovestyr

First off congratulations gf on the stretch!!!!:congrats:
I can cosign on the fact some stylists will charge you extra after some much time in between relaxers. I just did a 21 week stretch and went into my beautician and she charged me 80.00 :arguing: vs 55 reguarly.In which I understand my hair is thicker and she did an awesome job so was worth every penny.

I think my next stretch and I am going to aim for 24 weeks.I get my relaxer only three times a year anyway...:love3: