I Just Got a Bad Haircut and I'm Angry!

BERlin

**images deleted**

I'm really frustrated. Yesterday I went to Curltopia (in Metro-Atlanta) to get a haircut. My ends hadn't been thoroughly trimmed {I'm a seek & destroyer} in over a year and I had become bored with my hair. I thought a haircut would reawaken my interest in my hair.

*sigh*

The ambiance was nice. It was a very well maintained salon, friendly service, and I did feel valued as a customer. But this haircut has really pissed me off.

Some background on (what once was) my hair... :perplexed

This is what it looked like in a braid out (07/12), my go to style:

When stretched the longest layers of my hair were past my armpit. The shortest were past my chin.

I asked for the shape in the lower left portrait (I even showed the stylist this picture):

And I walked out *sigh*
with this:

Can you see how salty I am in the photo? WHERE DID ALL MY HAIR GO?! I realize that it would've been easier to emulate the style were my hair just a bit longer but I didn't think I was asking too much for a similar shape.

(I should also say that I had my Devacut done on wash & go hair and the after picture is braidout hair, as I scrambled home hoping that if I put my hair in a stretched style the amount of hair the stylist cut off would shrink dramatically. The shrunken style was way worse). I, of course, explained that 90% of the time my hair is in a stretched style and I wanted my cut to translate into that.

I don't really know why I made this post... Most of the reason is probably to vent. But also I wanted to lament about how stylists constantly fall short for me. I keep asking myself *why* exactly do I trust other folks with my hair? Haven't I learned my lessons with lye scabs and scalp pulled too tight by braids and other craziness? Lots of the set-backs on this board originate from some stylist jacking up a member's hair. Maybe I just need to let the stylists go... cause I am so! angry.

Also... I'd love your advice. I've essentially lost a year's worth of hair and put myself back into the awkward TA phase. Should I *gulp* ask for a corrective cut free of charge so my hair doesn't look so wonky? Or... should I just let this sucker grow out with wet buns and a substantial investment in cute hats?

Last edited:

tru4reele

Black Natural hair salons are the worst IMO.I have had nothing but bad experiences with them. ETA: Don't get a corrective cut. Let it grow out. But I would go and complain to try and get your money back. Show THEM the pictures.

Last edited:

greenandchic

Maybe there's something I'm not seeing, but your "after" hair looks similar in length as the photo. Hair hair looks like its either been lightly blown out or styled in a while where it stands out more (if that's not the natural shape of her hair).

Do you by chance have more photos with better lightening?

BERlin

Maybe there's something I'm not seeing, but your "after" hair looks similar in length as the photo. Hair hair looks like its either been lightly blown out or styled in a while where it stands out more (if that's not the natural shape of her hair).

Do you by chance have more photos with better lightening?

Thank you for your response.

I see what you're saying. I think that I was expecting to get the same shape without losing as much hair. Also... my hair seems a bit more misshapen when compared to the photo, mine is more angular while hers (besides the very top) is rounder.

Perhaps I'll attempt a blowout later in the week.

Tiye

You DID get the same cut as the picture and it looks good. :yep: When it comes to natural hair everyone's hair is unique so a stylist can give you the same cut but you will never look exactly like the model. Your volume and texture is different and that's why the cut is not identical on you but you can manipulate your hair upwards to get a similar look.

FoxxyLocs

The shape looks similar to me also. Plus the style in the picture looks significantly shorter than your hair was before, so I can see why they took off some length.

The hair in the pic looks shrunken, so I'm sure her hair is longer, but it's a lot to ask the stylist to cut your hair so that it has that shape when it shrinks. I wonder if she understood what you wanted.

Sent from my HTC Evo

karenjoe

your hair is gone! so you have to work with it....:ohwell:
maybe it will grow into that shape..... or maybe you can blow it or pull it....

I hope it grow into the shape you want.
I wouldn't go to that place again.... & I would call the person & tell them I don't like the haircut & why....

Last edited:

BERlin

Okay. Thank you ladies.

I think I'm still in shock and I wasn't mentally prepared for the dramatic loss. I'll try some things for volume with my hair and hope I'm able to be more satisfied with the cut.

greenandchic

I see what you're saying. I think that I was expecting to get the same shape without losing as much hair. Also... my hair seems a bit more misshapen when compared to the photo, mine is more angular while hers (besides the very top) is rounder.

You DID get the same cut as the picture and it looks good. :yep: When it comes to natural hair everyone's hair is unique so a stylist can give you the same cut but you will never look exactly like the model. Your volume and texture is different and that's why the cut is not identical on you but you can manipulate your hair upwards to get a similar look.

Yes, BERlin, its all about the shape and styling at this point. :yep:

This would be a good time to experiment with technique and product and play with your hair.

virtuenow

Do you have pictures of the shrunken cut-- how it looked when you left the salon? Just curious, why did you choose such a short hairstyle if you didn't want your hair cut short. That style only works on shorter hair; b/c if it's any longher the hair starts to hang down rather than stand out like the pic.

BraunSugar

Asking for the same shape as the pic and asking for the same cut in the pic is two different things to me. Asking for the same cut would mean the shape AND the same amount of hair taken off to duplicate the style. Asking for that shape means just that: a shape that is similar to the one in the pic. That shape can be achieved with hair that is longer than the hair in the photo. I get why you are upset.

This is why I avoid salons because I fear that I may not be uber, extra, 1000% clear and I'll think the stylist and I are on the same page then end up with an end result that upsets me.

LongLeggedLife

I would have thought yours was a bit longer in the top than the pic.
Im not sure how much exactly, but it seems like if you took another 1-2" off the top that you would get a more round shape?

Lynnerie

Sorry OP. I would just grow it out. Why let them take off more hair?

This is why I don't trust salons.

pisceschica

I used to be a hairdresser and I hated when people said that. I remember when people would come in with shoulder length hair and pictures of short bobs.

However they wanted it to keep their hair noticeably longer than the picture. And for some hairstyles like chic inverted bobs you are not going to get the same effect if you don't get it cut short enough. To me it was pointless. I would just simply explain that to them and do what they wanted. :nono:

I HOPE that before the stylist did it he/she explained to you that you would be losing some length to look exactly like the picture. Because some stylists will just go by your picture and not bother to ask you any questions or interject reasonable objections/opinions.

I hope I'm not being insensitive or anything, just offering up my opinion from the other side. :look:

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Whew...they really went hard, didn't they! Do Not Let Anyone Else Touch Your Hair. Let it grow out, and just keep it healthy. It will grow back!

SummerSolstice

OP they got the shape but not the length. Sorry this happened.

ETA: the weight is lifted like u wanted but that involved cutting a lot of the bottom out and it looks shorter, but your longest pieces aren't that much shorter than the longest pieces in the before photo

Last edited:

hola_lo2002

Don't be mad!! You did get the same cut as in the photo. Now, you just have to figure out a way to make your curls pop again with that style! I don't think you'll be able to wear your hair stretched though because you won't be able to maintain the shape if you do so. Also, go back to your go-to products that you used to put in your hair when it was short like that back in the days :)

You have to find something positive in everything that appears negative girl!! Heck, you look way younger with that short cut so smile my friend ;-)

I'm really frustrated. Yesterday I went to Curltopia (in Metro-Atlanta) to get a haircut. My ends hadn't been thoroughly trimmed {I'm a seek & destroyer} in over a year and I had become bored with my hair. I thought a haircut would reawaken my interest in my hair.

*sigh*

The ambiance was nice. It was a very well maintained salon, friendly service, and I did feel valued as a customer. But this haircut has really pissed me off.

Some background on (what once was) my hair... :perplexed

This is what it looked like in a braid out (07/12), my go to style:

When stretched the longest layers of my hair were past my armpit. The shortest were past my chin.

I asked for the shape in the lower left portrait (I even showed the stylist this picture):

And I walked out *sigh*
with this:

Can you see how salty I am in the photo? WHERE DID ALL MY HAIR GO?! I realize that it would've been easier to emulate the style were my hair just a bit longer but I didn't think I was asking too much for a similar shape.

(I should also say that I had my Devacut done on wash & go hair and the after picture is braidout hair, as I scrambled home hoping that if I put my hair in a stretched style the amount of hair the stylist cut off would shrink dramatically. The shrunken style was way worse). I, of course, explained that 90% of the time my hair is in a stretched style and I wanted my cut to translate into that.

I don't really know why I made this post... Most of the reason is probably to vent. But also I wanted to lament about how stylists constantly fall short for me. I keep asking myself *why* exactly do I trust other folks with my hair? Haven't I learned my lessons with lye scabs and scalp pulled too tight by braids and other craziness? Lots of the set-backs on this board originate from some stylist jacking up a member's hair. Maybe I just need to let the stylists go... cause I am so! angry.

Also... I'd love your advice. I've essentially lost a year's worth of hair and put myself back into the awkward TA phase. Should I *gulp* ask for a corrective cut free of charge so my hair doesn't look so wonky? Or... should I just let this sucker grow out with wet buns and a substantial investment in cute hats?

BostonMaria

I like the haircut and think it looks nice.

I say leave the stylist and scissors alone. If you get a corrective cut you're probably going to lose another inch or two of hair. Let it grow and before you know it your hair is long again.

sent thru my iPhone

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
I say let it grow out. I have given up on getting my hair shaped. I just let it do what it do these days.

4bslbound

Do you have pictures of the shrunken cut-- how it looked when you left the salon? Just curious, why did you choose such a short hairstyle if you didn't want your hair cut short. That style only works on shorter hair; b/c if it's any longher the hair starts to hang down rather than stand out like the pic.

I agree with this, but also the girl's hair in the pic is a completely different texture(it's tighter) than yours. My hair naturally grows out in this shape......the back has more shrinkage than the top. Your hair is looser so it does not have as much volume in this style, therefore in order to imitate it, your hair has to be shorter than hers. :( sorry this happened but maybe next time try to choose styles that are more conducive to your texture.

natural2008

Try a straw set or something, idk. I got my hair shaped when it was in a blown dried state Andy stylist told me that when it shrinks it will be muuuuch shorter. I told her I didn't care. Play with it wear flat twists, etc. It will grow back fast you will see :0). Try not to be angry because the hair is gone now.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
If you didn't want to lose the year's worth of hair that you grew, you probably shouldn't have asked to have your hair cut into the shape of that picture in the lower left portrait. :nono: The length of hair in that portrait is rather short.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
It's similar in shape, I guess, but that doesn't mean she had to cut ALL your hair off to achieve a similar look. I would be pissed off too. You should take this for what it is and just let it grow out from there.

BERlin

Thank you for all your responses ladies. I have decided to play around with blowouts and other super stretched styles, which I had been avoiding. At least the new style has lit a fire under me to get back into caring for and especially styling my hair. I'm not 100% happy but I'll rock it and not go anywhere near a stylist anytime soon.

suns4i6e

BERlin, I also received a disappointing cut from Curltopia a couple of years ago. My stylist was newly trained in the Deva technique and let's just say ...perhaps she needed a bit more practice.

I am so sorry because I know exactly how you are feeling. I won't patronize you by saying you will feel better about it in time, because truth is, you may not. BUT it will grow. You have the right attitude in testing new styling techniques. In doing so, maybe you will discover something you otherwise would not have. :yep:

kim1006

There are few things worst than a bad hair cut. I have stopped having my hair cut before important events because I do not want to look silly. :nono:

Misseyl

I'm sorry but yes, your hair definitely lost some length. Good thing that it will grow back, just continue doing what you are doing.