I Knew My Hair Was Growing When...

DominicanBrazilian82

... I didn't need 25 bobby pins to hold up my hair in the back for a high bun. The day I didn't have to do that (about two months ago), I realized that I had arrived...

Hair growth is like a boiling pot. We watch our hair everyday and like watching that pot, it doesn't seem like its boiling (growing). Until, of course, we take our eyes off of it and !joila! GROWTH!

How about you? What was your 'aha' moment?

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
When my hair was grazing my shoulders when wet. Never had that sensation before starting this journey. It actually scared me the first time. I thought a spider was crawling on me and I am terribly scared of those things. Ek!

When my hair no longer stood up like an afro even though it is 4b.

When I could make a bun with my own hair without the help of an army of bobbie pins... then being able to make a high bun.

When I was called "Little Chaka" when rocking a braidout. LOL

Monaleezza

1. When I caught my reflection in a shop window and though, "No way!"

2. When my greys kept growing in no matter how often I henna'd.

3. When nobody says anything because they assume I'm still wearing my weave!

brittle_hair

When you have to make a conscious effort to move your hair out of the way of your bag strap

When you think an insect is crawling on you but its actually a strand of your hair

When your brother's girlfriend looks at your hair and says 'wow our children are gonna have a lot of hair!'

When hairstyles you never liked before start to look really good because your hair wasn't long enough -e.g the basic ponytail or a bun

When the tip of your pony touches your back/top of shoulders even when its not in a low pony

Last edited:

Fenaxa

When my wigs somehow keep rising higher and higher off my head even when I have 5 (and counting) wave caps to contain my hair under the wig.

Funmiloves

Co signing on hair touching the back of my neck.
Co signing on being asked if my puff was all mine.
> When I no longer have to look ALL the way up, rolling my eye balls to the inside of my eye lids, just to see the ends of my hair!
> When my kids commented 'Wow, mum you hair has really grown'

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
My aha...I've arrived moment came when I was at a family function. They were like, " dang, when was the last time I saw you"?!? "Where did you get all that hair from"?!?

They ain't seen nuffin' yet (laughing in my evil voice), lol. This Christmas I'll be rocking a loose roller-wrap set, showing fullness and length!!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

genesislocks

1. When I put my hair in pigtails to keep my scalp cool while I workout and the pigtails keep failing across my shoulders, getting sweaty and completely defeating the purpose. lol

2. When people (typically other black women) stand eerily close to me at the checkout line. I usually don't notice until I turn around and I scream a little because the offender is using their bug-eyed, non-blinking stare to examine the back of my head and hairline, while continuing to stand uncomfortably close with absolutely no shame whatsoever lol

3. When cute white guys give the "nod" :yep: of approval when I drive with my windows down after flat-ironing

My hair isn't all that long, especially not by lhcf standards. So, I'm looking forward to adding more to this list once I reach unicorn length ;)

bronzephoenix

First when I could get my twa cornrowed skraight back in basic training a few months after my bc.

Next when I could use bigger sections for my 2sts and actually wear them out.

The real revelation came when I realized I could create a deep side swoop and pull it all back without flat twisting the front and bobby pinning. I was MBL and hadn't even noticed because I was ALWAYS in protective styles to stay in uniform regulations. My bun was huge, lol. I was so excited!

Proverbs 31:30

Last edited:

DominicanBrazilian82

My aha...I've arrived moment came when I was at a family function. They were like, " dang, when was the last time I saw you"?!? "Where did you get all that hair from"?!?

They ain't seen nuffin' yet (laughing in my evil voice), lol. This Christmas I'll be rocking a loose roller-wrap set, showing fullness and length!!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

KiWiStyle I love haritude (hair+attitude)... Please turn around like someone's calling your name one time for me! :lachen:

rmwms

When I was driving on the beltway and my hair was blowing out the sunroof ...I drove faster....lol

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
When I had a decent sized pony tail that actually hangs.

When I could style without needing a bang.

AlliCat

Last night had a "getting long" moment when I realized my hair in it's most shrunken state possible (cornrows going straight back) is APL

Also had one this morning when I could tuck my bangs behind my ears and it actually stays

danysedai

When my white co-worker who has about APL was walking behind me and was sooo surprised and blurted “Your hair is long, longer than mine!” lol

Other people have told me that they do not recognize me at work from the back when I have my hair out.(and I'm the only black woman on my entire floor)

At a party recently, 2 friends who I hadn’t seen for some time (years) who themselves have healthy relaxed hair approached me asking questions about haircare and how to achieve length with relaxers, I’m drafting a loooong email for them.

janeemat

When my white co-worker who has about APL was walking behind me and was sooo surprised and blurted “Your hair is long, longer than mine!” lol

Other people have told me that they do not recognize me at work from the back when I have my hair out.(and I'm the only black woman on my entire floor)

At a party recently, 2 friends who I hadn’t seen for some time (years) who themselves have healthy relaxed hair approached me asking questions about haircare and how to achieve length with relaxers, I’m drafting a loooong email for them.

Are you transitioning to natural hair? Did I read that some where or is it that I am confusing you with someone else?

jesusislove1526

My loose hair can't fit under a plastic cap anymore when I prepoo or DC. I have to use a grocery bag, which my DH despises unfortunately...:ohwell:

Gryphyn

I love this thread! I noticed when it started getting stuck in my shirts when I get dressed in the morning.

When it started getting stuck in my lipstick, and dipping into my plate while I'm eating.

When lying beside my SO in bed and I had to tell him "you're lying on my hair" :spank:

When I had to start tying it back so I could wash my face in the morning

Gryphyn

My loose hair can't fit under a plastic cap anymore when I prepoo or DC. I have to use a grocery bag, which my DH despises unfortunately...:ohwell:

I love my plastic bags! I hoard them just for this and baggying but I have to hide them with a head scarf while I'm around the house :spinning: