I messed up........ Hair extremely dry

Anaya-Amani

2 weeks ago I did a henna mixed w/vinegar & fell asleep. The vinegar irritated my scalp causing severe itching & flakes. I did some research & decided to try water, ACV & a splash of peroxide to heal/help my scalp. After the first treatment I noticed a difference (my scalp itches like it would when I need a touch up- I'm 15 wks into transitioning to natural) & my hair was a little dry but I noticed a few more flakes & did another treatment tonight. My hair felt super dry, kinda like it would after a aphoghee treatment. So now I'm doing a DC with the aphoghee moisture balance conditioner. I really hope i didn't cause severe damage!!
:-(
any more suggestions?

"...Forgetting what is behind and looking forward to what is ahead,..."
Philippians 3:13

PPGbubbles

back away from all the vinegar! All that extra acid can lead to dryness.

btw that Aphogee moisture balance (the once that follow the 2-step) is garbage!

You need to find a good moisturizing DC and let your hair rest.

Also, I would layoff the heat till your hair rehydrates. Once the hair re-hydrates be sure to keep the moisture in by closing your cuticles. You can achive this by adding some aloe juice post wash/dc to balance the ph of your hair yet keep your cuticle flat. The cuticles can also be closed with roux porosity control, costs a bit more than aloe juice tho

Last edited:

Anaya-Amani

back away from all the vinegar! All that acid can raise the cuticles and lead to dryness.

Also, I would layoff the heat till your hair rehydrates and your cuticles lie down. You can achive this by adding some aloe juice post wash/dc.Closing the cuticle will help you retain moisture. The cuticles can also be closed with roux porosity control, costs a bit more than aloe juice tho

Thanks for replying!!!! I'll try the aloe. The DC seems to be helping. I won't be doing anymore ACV!!!! I'll just have to keep my scalp oiled.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Please continue to deep condition and remember to balance protein and moisture. If you do a search, are several threads recommending great deep conditioners that can be found locally and online.

How are you wearing your hair in the meantime? I hope you can get the flakes to diminish. Are you experiencing breakage at the line of demarcation?

PPGbubbles

Thanks for replying!!!! I'll try the aloe. The DC seems to be helping. I won't be doing anymore ACV!!!! I'll just have to keep my scalp oiled.

They dont call it a hair care journey for nothing! You live and you learn :yep: I had a rough time with ACV in the past so I feel ya pain.

Update us when this when you find the solution!

coyacoy

Ditto! stay away from the vinegar - it's acidic and can be very drying. i also agree re: the aphogee - it sucks-IMHO- and that you should try a moisturizing dc - perhaps one that is protein free or says 'ph balanced'. with the products that you have used so far, however, i would strongly suggest trying something protein free this week and then next week one with a little protein. if you have a steamer try using that instead of a heated dryer just to really give your hair a moisture boost. if you don't have a steamer, you can google how to steam using a regular bonnet dryer. also, make sure you are using a leave in moisturizer after you dc and that you are sealing your ends. HTH :grin:

Leesh

@Anaya-Amani, "Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner" is a Super Duper Moisturizing DC! It's good for trying to come back off a dry spell! :yep:

Anaya-Amani

Please continue to deep condition and remember to balance protein and moisture. If you do a search, are several threads recommending great deep conditioners that can be found locally and online.

How are you wearing your hair in the meantime? I hope you can get the flakes to diminish. Are you experiencing breakage at the line of demarcation?

I wet wrap over night & flat iron once a week to keep my roots straight.
I have not had any breakage! I've been trying to keep my scalp oiled & my hair moisturized with Hot 6 Oil & Shea butter.

Anaya-Amani

They dont call it a hair care journey for nothing! You live and you learn :yep: I had a rough time with ACV in the past so I feel ya pain.

Update us when this when you find the solution!

I'm really just trying to keep my scalp healthy & my hair moisturized so I don't have breakage.
I'm really wanting to nail down a "natural" washing monthly & co-washes weekly.

Anaya-Amani

My hair feels normal again! I DC with Joico conditioner diluted with aloe gel/juice & a lil water. I put a warm towel on my hair covered that with a baggies & let it sit for an HR. I rinsed and rubbed Shea butter mixed with hot 6 oils on my hair & wrapped it.
I don't think I caused any severe damage I'm just going to be mindful of keeping the moisture in. Thanks for all of the suggestions!!!!

ezina

back away from all the vinegar! All that acid can raise the cuticles and lead to dryness.

Also, I would layoff the heat till your hair rehydrates and your cuticles lie down. You can achive this by adding some aloe juice post wash/dc.Closing the cuticle will help you retain moisture. The cuticles can also be closed with roux porosity control, costs a bit more than aloe juice tho

I thought acids closed the cuticle?

Anaya-Amani

My hair feels/looks normal again!!!! Wrapping w/Shea butter & oil mix has my hair hydrated & shining!!!! No more ACV!!??!?

Anaya-Amani

My hair the morning after wrapping w/Shea butter & oils- no wrap lotion or setting lotion.

I was surprised at the body & softness my hair has.

Anaya-Amani

The only issue I still have is dry scalp. I'm wondering if my scalp is going through creamy crack withdrawal. I've never had flakes until now. I've oiled my scalp with hot 6 oil that I added coconut oil to. Should I add aloe?

southerncitygirl

The only issue I still have is dry scalp. I'm wondering if my scalp is going through creamy crack withdrawal. I've never had flakes until now. I've oiled my scalp with hot 6 oil that I added coconut oil to. Should I add aloe?

Anaya-Amani
hot six and coconut is fine you don't have to add aloe. put the oil in an applicator bottle and apply to your scalp as needed....if that means morning and night 5days a week then so be it:yep:....it will balance itself out soon!

Anaya-Amani

I finally figured out that I'm having a reaction to indigo powder/black henna! I'm done using that!