I miss greasing my hair so I want to make my own hair grease

yardyspice

I have wonderful memories of getting my scalp greased by my grandmother. Saturday mornings my hair would be washed, conditioned, and detangled and then smooth, cool grease rubbed by gently rubbed onto my scalp. Inevitably, I would fall asleep during my scalp massage and she would put my head on her lap to do one side. I would wake up with my plaits looking like Pippi Longstocking.

So I have decided to make my own grease. I came across a product called unpetroleum that I plan to mix with essential oils I read in a previous thread:
Hay and researchers recruited 84 people with diagnosed alopecia areata. During the seven-month trial, participants suspended use of topical or oral alopecia medications. Instead, half used a blend of cedarwood (2 drops, 94 mg), lavender (3 drops, 108 mg), rosemary (3 drops, 114 mg) and thyme (2 drops, 88 mg) in a carrier oil mix of jojoba (3 mL) and grapeseed (20 mL). The placebo group used just the carrier oils. Subjects were taught to rub the oil into the bare areas of their scalp for two minutes each evening and then to wrap a warm towel around their head to enhance absorption.

What do you guys think?

JerriBlank

Hmmm...the castor oil sounds good,but i don't know about the wax on your scalp.

Maybe you can look into using a natural butter for the base that would melt easily?
Good idea though:yep:

yardyspice

Hmmm...the castor oil sounds good,but i don't know about the wax on your scalp.

Maybe you can look into using a natural butter for the base that would melt easily?
Good idea though:yep:

I am worried about the wax too so I've been googling beeswax and so far it doesn't seem to be comedogenic. Here's what one site had to say:

Cosmetic properties of beeswax

Primitive people knew and used beeswax as an antiseptic and for wound healing. Hippocrates even recommended that a layer of beeswax be placed on the neck for quinsy.
Beeswax is one of natures most wonderful ingredients to use, and does a sterling job as a thickening agent, emulsifier, and humectant. It has wonderfully emollient, soothing and softening properties and helps the skin retain moisture.
People with acne sometimes incorrectly think that it is a comedogenic ingredient (an ingredient that promotes the formation of acne and pimples), whereas it in actual fact has an irritation potential of zero, and a comedogenicity rating of 0 - 2, which means that when it is properly used it will NOT promote the formation of acne or pimples.
When formulated and used correctly in cosmetic formulations, beeswax will not cause a problem or clog the pores, but brings a host of very positive attributes, such as healing, antiseptic, emollient and softening to a cosmetic product.

SelfStyled

Yardspice- I made the best natural grease. I melted equal parts emu oil and coconut oil, mixed it together in a little container and then when it solidified, it was the consistency of grease. I love my "grease" and use it about 3x a week.

yardyspice

Yardspice- I made the best natural grease. I melted equal parts emu oil and coconut oil, mixed it together in a little container and then when it solidified, it was the consistency of grease. I love my "grease" and use it about 3x a week.

THANKS! I could make this today because I have everything except the emu oil which I can get from WF.

LaToya28

This sounds like a great mixture, but like selfstyled you can probably make your own with just the ingredients you have on hand. I made my own grease with coconut oil, lemon butter, and castor oil. It's very light and smells wonderful!

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I use coconut oil for my scalp. Your scalp will be able to breathe easier with a light oil than with a waxy substance

SelfStyled

This sounds like a great mixture, but like selfstyled you can probably make your own with just the ingredients you have on hand. I made my own grease with coconut oil, lemon butter, and castor oil. It's very light and smells wonderful!

:lick::lick::lick: Uhm, where did you get the lemon butter?

BostonMaria

I use coconut oil or avocado oil. If you love a thick "grease" then I highly recommend avocado butter. It has the consistency of a grease, but it's not greasy on your hair.

yardyspice

What does the lemon butter do for your hair?

vkb247

How about using shea or cocoa butter? I have never "greased" my scalp but occasionally I do put some oil on my scalp with an applicator type of bottle/tube.

adw425

My grease has coconut, castor, olive, sweet almond oils and shea butter. It is solid and I use it on my scalp and to seal. I am actually getting ready to melt it down, infuse some rosemary, nettle, sage, tulsi (don't seem to have any thyme, darn it) and lavendar into it and re-solidify it.

Last edited: