I need help with flatironing

sweetascocoa

im a 4a/4b natural. for the first time since going natural, i tried to flatiron my hair but it didnt come out right. it didnt lay down and it felt coarse to the touch. i washed, conditioned, blowdried then applied john frieda frizz ease relax serum. and on some parts, i even tried grease and NTM serum. so my question is, what is the difference between a serum and a heat protectant. and should i use the heat protectant/serum on sections right before flat ironing or should i just apply a little bit all over before or after blow drying. i need someone to break it down for me. tia

MizaniMami

I'm not natural but I think I can help you here.

I serum is a heat protectant (in a way). Serums are 90% silicone. Silicone coats the hair strands which helps provide protection from heat. Some people like to use their serums as their heat protectants.

I usually part my hair in four sections. Spray a heat protectant spray ( V05 Miracle Mist) on the hair. Blowdry on cool (without a comb). Unitl it is 95% dry. Then I put on the comb, blow it on high heat with the comb, and comb it kind of straight.

Then I apply a little more (sparingly) of my heat protection spray to each section. I usually start from the back since that is the most time consuming. I part a row (from one section, since I am doing this a section at a time) apply an extremey small dab of serum, then flat iron. I repeat this until I am done with each section. After I'm finished I spray my hair with a little bit of sine spray, wrap my hair with my silk scarf and I'm good to go.
I know this is long but,I hope this helps you. :p

amy1234

I have been experimenting with the use of serums and heat protectants. So far I've found that my hair doesn't really need the serum (which is pm's superskinny serum). However I do think that it's important to use some form of heat protectant. I usually use just a dime sized amount and distribute through the hair before flat-ironing. I don't like to use too much product because it can build up on the strands and weigh the hair down. hth

myco

Have you tried using the serum or heat protectant on wet hair? My hair is relaxed but I notice that oils and serums just add weight instead of smoothness to my hair if I try to use them on dry hair.

Also, airdrying your hair in plaits or huge twists until it is about 80-90% dry might help. Then you can add a little bit more heat protectant, hair cream or oil and proceed to blowdry and flatiron. This is what my mom used to do our hair before she pressed it when we were younger.

HTH

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
When I used a heat protectant it made my hair hard and coarse feeling (Matrix Smooth and Sleek). The best thing for me is to wash (PM super Skinny or Matrix) and condition, air dry, then put a little serum (Biolage, Smooth and Shine, whatever) on each section, detangle with a rat tooth comb, then flat iron (CHI). I get super smooth and shiny hair.