I need relaxer advice.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
So, last February I relaxed my 4b natural hair, using Hawaiian Silky regular lye relaxer. It burned something terrible, I had light scars around my hairline from the chemicals, I shed a lot of hair afterwards in the back (an abnormal amount), and the result ended up being more like a texlax than a relaxer.

I didn't do that relaxer, so 3 mos. later I decided to do it myself with the Phyto relaxer, Index 1, trying to correct the last one. The pros were: little to no shedding or breakage, no burning. The con was: Still kinda texlaxed.

Did another Phyto relaxer in August, index II. Hair is still underprocessed. Am I not leaving it on long enough? I'm paranoid about leaving it on too long. I'd happily switch to a cheaper relaxer if I knew that it wouldn't result in the same thing I experienced with Hawaiian Silky.

I don't want my hair texlaxed because it mats and tangles terribly and I'm having mini-setbacks every time I wash. This is my main hair obstacle right now.

Help please.

Last edited:
My analysis is in blue: coz I have self-relaxed for 4 years now and did make those mistakes in the beginning.....
So, last February I relaxed my 4b natural hair, using Hawaiian Silky regular lye relaxer. It burned something terrible,
Grease your scalp thoroughly before you start, I mean thoroughly. I just use the $1 kind from Dollar General
I had light scars around my hairline from the chemicals, I shed a lot of hair afterwards in the back (an abnormal amount),
These are the areas you will relax last at the very end next time
and the result ended up being more like a texlax than a relaxer.

1. I use my fingers for smoothing with no gloves, I go through the hair twice
2. I use Shamboosie's method where I rinse out the hair in sections: i.e. if I started in the front left section, I will rinse out only that section first coz it's been processed 20 minutes, but the back has only been in for 5 minutes. I will then rinse out the next section etc. This way, even though I'm slow, one section's not getting over processed and burning with the last being underprocessed

I didn't do that relaxer, so 3 mos. later I decided to do it myself with the Phyto relaxer, Index 1, trying to correct the last one. The pros were: little to no shedding or breakage, no burning. The con was: Still kinda texlaxed.

Did another Phyto relaxer in August, index II. Hair is still underprocessed. Am I not leaving it on long enough? I'm paranoid about leaving it on too long.
Yes and yes :)
I'd happily switch to a cheaper relaxer if I knew that it wouldn't result in the same thing I experienced with Hawaiian Silky.

I don't want my hair texlaxed because it mats and tangles terribly and I'm having mini-setbacks every time I wash. This is my main hair obstacle right now.

Help please.
P.S. I have 4b hair as well.

Ditto on the rinsing above. Also, make sure you are relaxing clean hair. Buildup can slow down processing time

Interesting point. But aren't you not supposed to wash soon before a relaxer? How long between wash and relax?

you might wanna use mild instead of regular. also look into alter ego's relaxer w/shea butter. Lot of girls here like it and Im gonna use it in Jan after my strech

you might wanna use mild instead of regular. also look into alter ego's relaxer w/shea butter. Lot of girls here like it and Im gonna use it in Jan after my strech

Exactly. I love Alter Ego Linange Relaxer. It's the best relaxer I've ever used. It leaves your hair so moisturized it's crazy. I use the no lye and it doesn't burn me at all. My roots are always straight. I grease my scalp with Summit. :grin:

Exactly. I love Alter Ego Linange Relaxer. It's the best relaxer I've ever used. It leaves your hair so moisturized it's crazy. I use the no lye and it doesn't burn me at all. My roots are always straight. I grease my scalp with Summit. :grin:

You! I wish I had seen this sooner; I adore your hair.

Oh well my ORS will have to do for now... >_>

You! I wish I had seen this sooner; I adore your hair.

Oh well my ORS will have to do for now... >_>

Awww thanks girl!:blush: I used ORS for awhile at the beginning of my hair care journey and I liked it but the AE Linange is the BEST!

Pyto relaxer from what I hear isn't supposed to get your hair bone straight. It is more of a texlaxer. I use ORS lye relaxer and it works fine for me. The regular makes my hair straight enough. :)

So, last February I relaxed my 4b natural hair, using Hawaiian Silky regular lye relaxer. It burned something terrible, I had light scars around my hairline from the chemicals, I shed a lot of hair afterwards in the back (an abnormal amount), and the result ended up being more like a texlax than a relaxer.

Did another Phyto relaxer in August, index II. Hair is still underprocessed. Am I not leaving it on long enough? I'm paranoid about leaving it on too long. I'd happily switch to a cheaper relaxer if I knew that it wouldn't result in the same thing I experienced with Hawaiian Silky.

Help please.
Co-signing with you completely. I have narrowed down my relaxer choices to Mizani lye regular(mild) for fine/color-treated hair and the Alter Ego linage shea butter lye relaxer. My plans are to relax in December bone straight.

Back