I need some advise! what is the culprit? Weather, need of trim, manipulation, heat?

fluffylocks

Okay yall, i need some quick advise
Im hoping im just very paroniod, & that someone can tell me what the problem seems most likely to be

Okay, hers what the deal is----- My hair has been in wondrerfull conditon, the past four days i've noticed in total maybe 10-15 (max 20) hairs of breakge.....they are about 1/2 inch long (all over the four days im about to tell you about)
Also, the weather has just changed from hot to rainy and cool ( my hair alway does HORRIBLE in the cool/cold weather and i have to braid it up and deepcondition the whole time)
Lastly, i havent had a trim in 6 months

Day 1---I died my hair black (bigen), airdryed & flationed on temp. setting 5 (which isnt hot at all, not sure of the degrees) one quick pass each (first time in a loooong time for either)

Day 2--noticed a couple of hairs on my hand when moisturizing, that night i did a protein treatment & deepconditoned over night (noticed a couple of hairs when rinsing in the tub)

Day 3- I noticed no breakge---figured it was all done after the protein treatment, and the deepconditon

Day 4 (TODAY)--I am deepconditiong again because my hair was still kind of dry frot the protein treatment, while putting the conditoner on, i noticed about 4 hair of breakage on my hand

What sounds more likely?
Manipulation?
Bigen?
Need a trim?
Weather?
Heat?

I cant anaylize the situation so i figured outside help would be best
Im so upset also.....i have about 1/2 inch a new growth and im really really trying to retain all of my growth & current length (this doesnt sound too horrible does it?:sad:)

SouthernTease

Re: I need some advise! what is the culprit? Weather, need of trim, manipulation, hea

Sounds like you're doing a lot to it.
Could be the Bigen drying your hair out...
Could be using a protein right after doing color...
Could be a little paranoia esp since you have counted
the hairs... maybe you're overreacting a little.

Last edited:

Energee

Re: I need some advise! what is the culprit? Weather, need of trim, manipulation, hea

Isn't breakage 'normal'? Is there someone who does not get any breakage? I do understand that we don't want excessive breakage but I think a small amount of breakage is normal no matter how careful you are or what products you use.
I know I don't obsess over a few breaks because I know that it's inevitable and I'm very gentle and loving to my hair....lol. I still get a few breaks here and there. It does not bother me because overall my hair is very healthy and growing very well.

I also know that my hair does change when the weather does. So that could be the culprit for you:yep:. With the approaching cool weather you may need to DC more often.

fluffylocks

Thanks

I always look at my hands after i touch my hair to see how many shed hairs are comming out, but when i see breakge, i just notice if its more than one....and yeah i count :)nono:), i just estimated how much breakage i've had over these last days

I was hoping i was overreacing.

fluffylocks

Isn't breakage 'normal'? Is there someone who does not get any breakage? I do understand that we don't want excessive breakage but I think a small amount of breakage is normal no matter how careful you are or what products you use.
I know I don't obsess over a few breaks because I know that it's inevitable and I'm very gentle and loving to my hair....lol. I still get a few breaks here and there. It does not bother me because overall my hair is very healthy and growing very well.

I also know that my hair does change when the weather does. So that could be the culprit for you:yep:. With the approaching cool weather you may need to DC more often.

Okay, thanks sooo much!
So im just tripping,( im relieved. )

I dont usually have this much, so i didnt know if it was normal or a hindering amount

Im very (far toooo) observant ( i guess thats what you call it) about everything

Thank you, i definattly will

Thanks yall

Neroli

ITA. Also are you relaxed? Your siggy describe you hair as "thin, weak, dry, overprocesed, damaged top ear/eye length." Is that still the case?

Adding chemicals (relaxers, dye, etc.) even to healthy hair will contribute to damage. The best to hope for with chemicals is to limit damage, but some fallout will occur even with protein, DC, etc., these limit, but does not eliminate damage. . .

northernbelle

I support what the previous commenters have said.

Re: Breakage: Unless we placed our hair on a shelf and never touched it, then there would be no breakage. Every day living is going to produce some.

Hang in there, and try to not worry so much.:)

fluffylocks

ITA. Also are you relaxed? Your siggy describe you hair as "thin, weak, dry, overprocesed, damaged top ear/eye length." Is that still the case?

Adding chemicals (relaxers, dye, etc.) even to healthy hair will contribute to damage. The best to hope for with chemicals is to limit damage, but some fallout will occur even with protein, DC, etc., these limit, but does not eliminate damage. . .

Yeah im relaxed
No, that was in Januray 06 when i first started

Thank you, i feel so much better

You can know everything about hair, but when it comes to your own sitution sometimes you just need to hear from other people

Thanks

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!

I just love that pic of Chilli. She's such a sweetie...

Anyway, I dye my hair jet, jet black as well using Bigen. However, I may dye it two or three times a year. Why? Because Bigen can be very drying. It has no peroxide or ammonia but it is very drying. I would do a hot oil treatment and see if that works. Either that, or the next time you wash, pre-poo with several oils. And don't forget that when you use your moisturizer, always seal with a light oil. These are tricks that I think have worked for me. I have experienced a lifetime of dull, dry hair. I finally realize that the first culprit was using non-lye relaxers. As soon as I switched to lye, I have noticed a drastic change in the condition in my hair...a change for the better. ;)