I need your suggestions on a hairstyle for 9 weeks

missyT

I am due to be going on a camp america scheme this summer for 9 weeks and I have racking my brains as to what I am going to do with my hair for this time.

I am currently wearing weaves to grow my hair because I found that braids just broke my hair and I really don't want to lose any length by going back to braids.

I don't think a weave would be appropraite because I am going to need to be really active and will need tie my hair back, preferably in a high ponytail.
My hair is natural and about 6 or so inches (but not all over), I haven't measured it in a while.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

Gullahgirl

I know you probably shy away from braids because they've broken off your hair. Why don't you try the medium sized braids? Make sure you keep your roots well-moisturized and go for it. The smaller the braid, the more damage it does

missyT

I forgot to mention that I will apparantly get hardly any time to myself, so I won't be able to spend much time on my hair.

ThickHair

missyT said:
I forgot to mention that I will apparantly get hardly any time to myself, so I won't be able to spend much time on my hair.
Braids seem like the only way to go OR you can just go back to a twa. You know you can't have it all???

LBoogie

you could do cornrows and add enought length that would allow you to pull them back into a bun.

Neroli

ThickHair said:
It's either braids, afro or a weave. It's your choice.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up!

BTW, If you had a bad experience with braids, try try again with larger single braids or "individuals" that are about the size of a pencil or larger each and take your time and have A LOT of patience when its time to remove them (THIS is where I think a lot of people loose hair, not from the braids per se, but from the take down process) If you don't know what you're doing removing braids, you can do a lot of damage to your hair and may be worth paying someone to take down and detangle for you.

alibi

hair bored
IMHO, if you don't want breakage, I think a weave is the way to go, esp. a curly one. I'm natural and my curly weave is wash and go, and it's the simplest style I've ever had b/c it takes ZERO time in the morning. And if you're going to be really active, all you have to do is slap on a headband and keep it moving. As long as it's not too long in length, you should be fine.

But if you're dead set on putting your hair up in a high pony, I recommend slicking your hair up and investing in a couple of really good phonies ponies. But of course, a pony requires more manipulation than a weave, so it's your call. :ohwell: HTH

karezone

A curly weave might do it you don't want to wear your hair. A small one though. Not a big curly weave.

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)
Yeah a sew in weave, regular braids, or Jamaica Braids...(check out the protective style in my Feb 2005 album)

missyT

Thankyou for all your suggestions. I am strongly considering a sew in curly weave. Is that low maintainance though? Hmmm...

Leslie_C

missy,
the wet and wavy kind is supposed to be really low maintenance. then u can rinse it a lot and all u have to do is add product and scrunch to get it to wave up. my sister used to wear this style and it was cute. if u have trouble blending the part in the front that is left out then just throw on a headband and call it a day!