I really need help - be nice and take pity on me

kisz4tj

I started lurking about 10 hours ago, within those hours I've tried searching to find out more about this board. Having done that I now have a million questions. Then I started searching to see I could find answers to those questions, and that just overwhelmed me more. So here I go

1. What the pros/cons of lye vs. no lye?
2. I like to wear my hair in a dubbie or nice large curls, if I discontinue using blow dryers and curling irons, how in the world can I do this without looking like a puff girl?
3. What is an activator?
4. Who trims their own hair? You or a stylist?
5. What is henna?
6. How do you air dry and get polished results?
7. What is a sealer?
8. Do you have to wear your hair up to maintain healthy hair?
9. Does anyone else have problems with thinning edges, any advice? I don't wear my hair back because of this, I'm not really sure why this happened, I've never been a braid wearer.
10. I have no idea what my hair type is. I have thin to medium hair as far as fullness, it's slightly wavy and dry but not brittle it has softness to it. When I need a touch-up it doesn't get kinky or nappy at the roots, just a lil wavy, anybody know what category that is?

I'd just like to say I've been online for 10 hours straight because I'm very impressed by what I see and plan to stick with this site for the long haul and hopefully in the future help someone who is where I am, OVERWHELMED. I look forward to sharing and exchanging with you ladies. Tracy your hair looks very great.

VALLEYGIRL

hello and welcome
Let me see I can only answer some of your questions. Other ladies may be able to give you better answers to some of the other ones I could not answer.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
2. I like to wear my hair in a dubbie or nice large curls, if I discontinue using blow dryers and curling irons, how in the world can I do this without looking like a puff girl?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of ladies on this site do roller sets with smooth magnetic rollers. After they dry the hair under a hard hood type hair dryer or a soft bonnet dryer we wrap it with large bobby pins and either get back under the dryer or go to bed for the night. The result is smooth staright hair that is full of body.
If you do a search under Sweetcocoa's name she has lots of good roller setting tips and ideas. (She is the roller Set Queen)

3. What is an activator?

[/ QUOTE ]

Activator as in Curl Activator. Worlds of Curls is a brand that a lot of us like to use. It moisturises your hair and helps manage your new growth when it's close to touch up time.

4. Who trims their own hair? You or a stylist

[/ QUOTE ]
I trim my own hair or sometimes I go to a stylist and say very FIRMLY take off only thsi much and I watch her liek a hawk!!! I do not trust anyone with scissors near my hair.

5. What is henna?

[/ QUOTE ]
Henna is a natural way of deep conditioning and strengthning your hair. It comes in a powder form and a lot of ladies on here use it mixed with oils and other commercial conditioners for added benefits. Amethyst has lots of good things to say about Henna and all that it has done for her hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is called protective styling and although not necessary it helps with keeping your hair and ends from drying out and being exposed to the elements. Allandra a regular bun wearer has a head full of healthy hair down to her waist (and still growing) and I believe that her bun helps keep her hair in the best condition possible.

10. I have no idea what my hair type is

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you check out the list to the far right of the screen&gt;
It will give you an explanation of each hair type.

OK That's all I can answer. Hopefully some of our other ladies will help you out on the ones that I missed.
Also we have a search feature on this board.It's at the very top of teh page under our logo. So if you can't get all the answers you need try doing a search
Again
Welcome..you'll love it here
Valleygirl

adrienne0914

welcome, kisz4tj! i know you've love it here. here are my answers to the questions that valleygirl didn't answer:

1. What the pros/cons of lye vs. no lye?

• it's been said that no lye relaxers defat the something or other. lol! anyway, bottom line is that they're more drying than lye relaxers for many women.

4. Who trims their own hair? You or a stylist?

• when i didn't have someone that i could trust, i trimmed my own. i've been blessed with very conservative cutting stylists.

6. How do you air dry and get polished results?

• a bun is very polished to me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

• you don't have to. it just speeds up progress in my opinion. because your ends are protected, trims are less necessary.

9. Does anyone else have problems with thinning edges, any advice? I don't wear my hair back because of this, I'm not really sure why this happened, I've never been a braid wearer.

• yes, i used to pull my bun too tight. sometimes i still do. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif i massage vitamin E on my hairline. i also added rosemary and peppermint oils to the vitamin E.

i never thought i was a braid wearer either. i'm glad i didn't listen to me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif braids really helped me in the beginning of this journey.

10. I have no idea what my hair type is. I have thin to medium hair as far as fullness, it's slightly wavy and dry but not brittle it has softness to it. When I need a touch-up it doesn't get kinky or nappy at the roots, just a lil wavy, anybody know what category that is?

• the hair typing system that we use is very limited. it's hard to say without actually seeing your hair.

adrienne

Paris Belle

adrienne0914 said:

• the hair typing system that we use is very limited. it's hard to say without actually seeing your hair.

adrienne

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hair sounds like 3c...It's coarse but wavy and curly in texture...A lot like mine. My roots are wavy not kinky but my hair is coarser than a 3b.

Allandra

Welcome to the board. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

It looks like the ladies have done a great job at answering your questions.

Amethyst

Hi Kisz4tj/images/graemlins/wave.gif

Welcome to the forum. The ladies have done very well in answering your questions but I just would like to add my take on the use of henna. Henna is a mild protein applied to the hair to loosen or 'relax' if you will, the curl pattern of your hair, making it virtually tangle-free. Below is a link to a thread on this forum discussing many henna-recipes some of the forum members use:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=Women&amp;Number=32707&amp;Forum=Women&amp;Words=hennalucent&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=2&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=30315&amp;Search=true#Post32707

Since henna strengthens the hair by sealing the cuticle, I have found the treatments to be key in helping me to strengthen my hair and therefore, retain length. I understand what you mean by spending 'hours' on this forum just reading. This is my on-line virtual library when it comes to haircare information /images/graemlins/smile.gif Anything you need to know, type in a 'search' and presto, the info is at your fingertips. If you have anymore ?'s don't hesitate to ask. We are all here to assist one another.

hth(hope this helps)
Amethyst

pebbles

Hi kisz4tj,

Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif The other ladies have already given some great advice and I don't have much to add to what they've already said. Enjoy your time on the LHCF. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

kisz4tj

I'm so glad that you replied to my post, I just saw your pics they are beautiful, I even called my husband over and was like you have got to see this beautiful hair. It really looks great.

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
Welcome kisz4tj,
Pray and follow the specifications outlined by adrienne and your edges will fill in. Mine had been in bad shape for a couple of years but since I joined this board in January, my whole head of hair has completely undergone a renovation/revolution/makeover..... somebody help me out with more synonyms /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne0914

aww, thanks for the compliment!

please keep us posted on how the vitamin E thing goes, okay?

adrienne