I self relaxed!

lennet93

I'm so proud of myself, I self relaxed my hair today with ORS Olive Oil Relaxer(No Lye). This was my 1st time using this relaxer and I love the way my hair feels, its so soft. My technique wasn't the greatest and I did overlap a little bit but I did coat my hair in olive oil before relaxing just in case I did overlap. I never thought I would get the nerve to actually do it. My new growth isn't bone straight, it still has some waves in it which is fine with me but does that mean that I underprocessed my hair and will it cause any problems like breakage?

I will try to post pics later on.

locabouthair

i dont think being a little underprodessed will automatically equal breakage. people who texlax purposely try to get that result. im glad you were able to do it yourself. i am stongly thinking of self relaxing myself. i am tired of stylist overlapping my hair, i am putting in too much work to get my hair healthy for them to just damage it over and over again. but i am scared to self relax. how do you know all the relaxer is rinsed out? of course a stylist can see when she's rinsing it out, but i can't see my whole head. im scared i wont thoroughly rinse it out.

luvmesumhair

Hi. Congradulations on self relaxing your hair! I just have to get up the nerve to do it myself. :grin:

I do not think it will cause breakage. That just means you are textlaxed. A lot of ladies on this board do it that way. Myself included. You will be just fine. That is...if you want your hair that way:look:

lennet93

i dont think being a little underprodessed will automatically equal breakage. people who texlax purposely try to get that result. im glad you were able to do it yourself. i am stongly thinking of self relaxing myself. i am tired of stylist overlapping my hair, i am putting in too much work to get my hair healthy for them to just damage it over and over again. but i am scared to self relax. how do you know all the relaxer is rinsed out? of course a stylist can see when she's rinsing it out, but i can't see my whole head. im scared i wont thoroughly rinse it out.

I am tired of stylist overlapping as well and that was my motivation to self relax. I was lucky enough to have my husband help me..I rinsed in the shower with my removable shower head. My hubby was there to make sure I rinsed it all out. Also I have a mirror on the back of my bathroom dooer so when I opene the bathroom door, the mirror faces the shower. Maybe you can get a hand held mirror so that you can see if you rinsed it all out

RubyWoo

how do you know all the relaxer is rinsed out? of course a stylist can see when she's rinsing it out, but i can't see my whole head. im scared i wont thoroughly rinse it out.

When you use a color coded neutralizing shampoo, you won't have any problems since the color of the shampoo indicates if there is still relaxer in the hair. Usually I leave my neutralizing shampoo in my hair for 5 min and then look at the back of my head with a mirror for color change. Also, when I'm rinsing out the shampoo, I can see the shampoo suds(the color of them) since I rinse out bent over the tub with a detachable shower head. Also imo, it's best to neutralize at least 2-3 times and let the neutralizing shampoo sit for 5 min each time.

Anyhow OP, congrats on your first self relax! With more practice you'll get better. I also don't believe you'll have any problems with under-processed hair as long as it doesn't feel dry, still feels smooth and isn't breaking.

locabouthair

bk im not sure i'll be able to find someone to help me. ill try using the mirror.

nixx thanks for explaining. ill definitely get the color guard shampoo.