I SELF-relaxed!

UmSumayyah

I took the big plunge today and did my own touch-up. I did not come out perfectly (I think I underprocessed a little, but I was using a new relaxer--motions oil regular--and I am texturized so I did 12 minutes. I think my hair must be coarse so I'll go longer next time) but it was my first time so hey!
The good news is, I didn't burn AT ALL. Which makes me ticked at my former stylist, because if I can self relax and not burn, why did I burn with her every single time? /images/graemlins/mad.gif(keep in mind that before the last time with her we always used no-lye)
So, thanks to Myhairsos rubberband-and-lots-of-parts technique, I have proudly joined the ranks of all you do-it yourselfers!
/images/graemlins/trampoline.gif

LondonDiva

Congratulations girl. /images/graemlins/clap.gif First time relaxing is so daunting, but at least you made it through. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Every time you do a touch up you'll get better and better and better. It really does take practice and soon you'll be perfect. Just think of all the money you'll be saving.

UmSumayyah

a technique that myhairsos posted after doing her own touchup. You part the hair in little sections (she used 10, i did 16) put a small rubberband where the virgin and prh meet. coat the prh with cholesterol. base the scalp and then relax--apply relaxer to all sections, then go back one at a time, removing the band and smoothing.
I like this because it is easy for me to do infront of the bathroom mirror, holding up a handheld every so often to check the back.

azul11

is this typical for at home relaxing or can this be done for when you go to the salon? i mean the cholesterol? i know some people use vaseline or petroleum like products but i was never too sure where you were supposed to place these things. if you base your scalp that means your scalp duh but do you put the petroleum on the previous relaxed hair as well? how do you prevent yourself from putting petroleum all over? God bless you all.