I took it all OFF! Kind of long

yodie

I started playing around with wigs (FOR FUN) around 2005. Then, I had a nice head of healthy hair that I could put up in a bun. I found this board in 2006 and started trying this and that. My healthy hair disappeared quickly. I soon learned that some things work and some don't.

Anyway, I had to wear wigs because of damage. My hair grew and I tried new things. I'd wash, twist my hair and throw on a wig. Sometimes I neglected to check for growth and I won't even mention the many, many things I tried by name.

Wigs were an accessory and a necessity (AT TIMES). They're fun.
I moved onto tracks not to long ago. Loved it. Gave me different versatility, but all along, I missed my hair!! I used to hate wigs and weaves years ago and here I was! I had converted to a 24/7 wig/weave wearer.

Now, no disrespect to the ladies who wear tracks or wigs. I'm definitely a fan, but I noticed how so many women wore the same long, black weave. Even in church, I noticed that most of the women wore wigs or weaves.

I decided that I wanted to take it all OFF! I missed my own hair. I had developed a habit that wasn't necessarily benefitting my hair.

No one had seen MY hair since '05. I wasn't even used to dealing with it anymore. Now, I was about to go home to visit family and friends. I took the tracks out, henna'd/indigo'd, deep conditioned, pressed and curled my hair. I trimmed my ends but I knew my mom would shape it up for me. My stylist had already trimmed my hair in between my tracks, so it was pretty short, but definitely manageable. I was NERVOUS!! I hadn't worn my hair in four years and I didn't know what people would say, think, etc. Yes, I shouldn't care, but I did.

I was so nervous the night before I went home. I hardly slept. All this over hair! Mom picked me up from the airport and she commented on how beautiful my hair looked. I styled it in a short bob. Moms supports me in everything, but she really liked it. So, she shaped it up that same day and I loved it!

How did everyone else respond? Everyone thought it was a wig. I asked my brother how he liked my hair and he said, "I thought it was a wig. You always wear wigs." I am so GLAD that I took this wig off. My mom's friend said she liked it. I told her that it was time to get back to me. She was shocked. She thought it was a wig also. I don't know if that's good in the sense that my hair looked good OR they're just used to me wearing wigs. No one else made any comment. Not a word! Heck, maybe it didn't look that good. I love it, so who cares what they thought.

All that to say, I took it all OFF and I'm wearing my own hair. It feels great. I broke my wig/weave habit. :yep: I plan on working with my own hair and growing it out from where it is. I love my short hair and I plan on loving all the in between stages until it gets to where I want it. I feel GREAT about my decision.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
That's great. I'm trying to enjoy my hair at every stage instead of just waiting until I reach my goal.

yodie

That's great. I'm trying to enjoy my hair at every stage instead of just waiting until I reach my goal.

Great point! I plan on doing the same.
Everyone should do the same whether they use wigs, weaves, braids, etc.

Happy hair growing ladies.

MzLady78

Good for you!

I can so relate to no one seeing your hair for years. I was the same way, especially after I BC'd.

Now that my hair has grown back, I don't have the desire for braids, weaves, etc. I got tracks a few weeks ago, I took them out after a week because I missed MY hair.

The funny thing is that I've gotten more compliments on my hair, which is not quite shoulder length than I did with any of the wigs or weaves.

flowinlocks

Thanks for sharing that. Congrats on "breaking free", If I wasn't rocking a cropped do, I always wore braids, weaves/wigs. I love the versatility and low maintenance. I wore my fake bun for a little over a year as a protective style. My coworkers were dying to see my hair because their last memory was the short cut. My dd is ready for me to wear my real hair, and the rest of my family are just kinda use to me with the bun. I used heat the last time I relaxed for my 1 year update. I wore it down for about a week. My sis & coworkers couldn't believe how much it had grown. I have been wearing my own hair since then in my own baby bun or up in a clip with a swoop bang. I needed to "break free" from that tight bun everyday. They funny thing is now that everyone has seen it, I want to hide it again till MBL:giggle:

MarieB

Congratulations, yodie! I, too, am trying to love my hair on a daily basis, and not just focus on what it will look like in the future. Good luck!

yodie

Good for you!

I can so relate to no one seeing your hair for years. I was the same way, especially after I BC'd.

Now that my hair has grown back, I don't have the desire for braids, weaves, etc. I got tracks a few weeks ago, I took them out after a week because I missed MY hair.

The funny thing is that I've gotten more compliments on my hair, which is not quite shoulder length than I did with any of the wigs or weaves.

I think all women have beautiful hair, regardless of the length or state of their hair. So, I can understand you getting more compliments on your own hair. My only desire right now is to wash, dc, henna/indigo, moisturize and maintain a healthy protein/moisture balance. Oh, can't forget my hair vitamin.

Thanks for sharing that. Congrats on "breaking free", If I wasn't rocking a cropped do, I always wore braids, weaves/wigs. I love the versatility and low maintenance. I wore my fake bun for a little over a year as a protective style. My coworkers were dying to see my hair because their last memory was the short cut. My dd is ready for me to wear my real hair, and the rest of my family are just kinda use to me with the bun. I used heat the last time I relaxed for my 1 year update. I wore it down for about a week. My sis & coworkers couldn't believe how much it had grown. I have been wearing my own hair since then in my own baby bun or up in a clip with a swoop bang. I needed to "break free" from that tight bun everyday. They funny thing is now that everyone has seen it, I want to hide it again till MBL:giggle:

I definitely understand you wanting to hide your hair again. I think a bun, even if it's an attached bun, is a great way to protect/hide your hair. You're only partially hidden this way. :yep:

ajacks

Congratulations yodie! I too can relate to weave/wig dependency. I retain more length while wearing low manipulation styles like wigs and weaves but when my real hair is out I have no clue how to deal with it. My fear is that I will reach BSL, take out the weave and lose my progress b/c I never learned how to manage my own hair.

yodie

Ajacks, I started feeling the same way.

Mswoman, I feel ya. My perm had to go too.

Nonie

Why is everyone letting it slide that you are slacking? We (and YOU) know that
:needpics:

So GET! :bat:

I'm really happy for you. I wore braids for a long time too before I decided to wear my own hair and you couldn't tell me I wasn't FIYAH. I even rocked my Nikos' Cousin shirt so folks would not have a doubt I felt like my hair was da bomb.

a_shoe_6307

Just this past week my SO talked me into doing the same thing. I did the BC back in June and just hated having hair that was less than an inch long. I had BSL hair before and have never had anything shorter than SL. Well to make a long story short, I took the braids out after much persuasion from my roommate and SO and found out that my hair is now 3.5 inches long! I would have never known that I had gotten that much growth if I had kept getting braids. I now am going to care for my own hair and grow it out without hiding it. I have done it before and I can do it again.

yodie

Just this past week my SO talked me into doing the same thing. I did the BC back in June and just hated having hair that was less than an inch long. I had BSL hair before and have never had anything shorter than SL. Well to make a long story short, I took the braids out after much persuasion from my roommate and SO and found out that my hair is now 3.5 inches long! I would have never known that I had gotten that much growth if I had kept getting braids. I now am going to care for my own hair and grow it out without hiding it. I have done it before and I can do it again.

Congrats!!! Yes, we can (smile).

Nonie, I hear ya. No pics. Not sure I can get this with my phone camera.

Keen

I enjoy my hair during the weekend. I use to wonder when I would start going protective style free but I decided I may not do that... Good luck!

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
That's wonderful! Glad that you're enjoying your real hair now and hope you continue to enjoy every stage of growing it to great lengths!

brucebettye

Congrats on breaking the weave/wig habit. I have and I love learning to take care of my hair without all the fake hair. It is so freeing!!!!!!!!!!!

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Congrats! I know how it feels to wear your own hair, the hair that grows out of your scalp, after a long bout of weave and braid wearing. Wonderful feeling!

luckiestdestiny

congrats! I know you're excited about wearing your own hair and breaking free. I also think it's a wonderful thing because you'll know how to take care of your own hair in every stage.