I walked out without paying!!! (long vent)

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
My hair dresser pulled the bait and switch on me today! I went in for a touch up at 9 weeks post touch up. I know I could have and usually do touch up at 12 weeks but I'll be out of town every weekend for the next 3 weeks so I decided to touch up today.

As usual I made an appointment with my usual hair dresser. I ASKED when I called did she have Motions Oil Moisture relaxer in regular. This is what I have been using, this is what works for my hair, THIS is what I asked for. She said yes. She couldn't believe I was coming in before 12 weeks.

I get there she CONFIRMED that I wanted Motions. I SAW a Motions container at her station, I can spot it a mile away. As she takes down my bun she tells me what a good job I've done with my hair, brags to anyone that will listen that she helped me grow out my hair (yeah right).

She sees I already pre treated my scalp and says "Good Job" and proceeds to part my hair and began to apply the relaxer. The very fact that she turned me around so I was NOT facing the mirror should have been my clue.

I proceed to the sink to wash. She shampoos me herself. On my way back to her station I see the rattail comb she used to apply the relaxer (she uses the back not the comb) was in a small white jar. I immediately started to panic, I know a box perm when I see one!

Me: I hope that is not what you used in my hair!
Her: Uh, what do you mean?
Me: I asked for Motions and that's not a Motions jar so I hope you didn't put that in my hair.
Her: What you don't trust me? I take good care of your hair.
Me: TELL ME YOU DID NOT USE THAT IN MY HAIR!
Her: I used Motions it's just in another container.
Me: BULL****! Show me the container!

Of course she wouldn't so I snatched it out of her hands and sure enough it was the container for some No Lye relaxer. You know the kind you mix! I have been using lye relaxers for the past 10 years and Motions Oil for 4 out of the 10. No lye relaxers dry my hair out something terrible. She knows this I know she does. She has been doing my hair for the 7 years I've been in MA.

So I snatched up my coat, put my hat on my wet hair and left. Of course I cried all the way home because I feel like all my progress will be set back by this. She has left 5 messages on my machine apologizing and asking me to call her.

What do I do ladies? I know she used a no lye relaxer on me. There's not a doubt in my mind about that. My hair does NOT do well with a no lye relaxer. It took me years to figure it was the reason for my extreme dryness and frizziness. I just don't know what to do to keep that dryness and frizziness from happening again.

Right now my hair is in a bun with a baggie over it. I'm to pissed to do much more than that right now. ANY ADVICE?

okay Cee, what she did was inexcusible! But from her apologies, it seems that there is some remorse. Since you've been with her for so long, maybe you just need to talk to her. I think she sees that you are serious about what product you use to relax your hair. I doubt seriously that she'll try that again.

I would DEFINITELY talk to her about it and let her know in uncertain terms that it is not acceptable to you for her to use anything other than what you specify on YOUR hair. I cannot believe she pulled that crap. I'd be mad too, but whether or not I left would depend upon what else (in terms of haircare)is available.

I'm so sorry that you had such a traumatic experience. I don't think you overreacted and I'd be just as upset. People are just trips ...

I bet one time with a no-lye won't be too bad. I'm sure somebody who can really give you some good information with respect to that will be along soon. Calm yourself and have a great weekend.

Last edited:
Hey there, :wave:

I must commend you for being so brave and for taking a stand with your stylist. :clap: :up: :yay:
I'm not sure if I could've been so brave, HOWEVER I guess with hair your length, you don't want any setbacks at this point. I can't believe she played you like that!!!

Since you know your hair better than she does, with the frizziness and dryness you probably would want to do some intensive deep conditioning. YOu are on the right track with locking that moisture in with that baggie on.

When you say your hair gets dry with the no lye, is it dull or dry looking no matter how much moisture, or do you get breakage?

That's one thing about beauticians. They think everybody doesn't have a clue what they might pull. You were right to not pay, especially if you specifically asked for MOTIONS. I would have done the same thing. I think you should call her back and request that she provide you with free treatments to correct any potential dryness. She should do your deep conditioner treatments for FREE until your next touch up. :mad:

Wow...I can't tell you what to do but I'm really sorry that happened!! Do you think she sabotaged you on purpose or she just wanted the business...not that that excuses it. Personally I wouldn't go back.

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I don't think you should go back. i wouldn't even trust her to do ANY type of service on my head.

She knew that you've only used lye and purposely put a no-lye on your hair. Sounds like sabotage and I would make sure everyone I know does not frequent her shop.

Try deep conditioning every wash and moisturize every other day.

Again, I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I am so glad that you stood up for yourself. I am pissed for you! I can't understand why some stylists do what they want with YOUR hair when you are paying YOUR money. Ugh!!!!!!!

Obviously, I would say that you should stop going to her--but the suggestion above was good. If she will agree to treat your hair FOR FREE every week until all problems subside then maybe she can have the pleasure of keeping you as a client.

If not, I'd contact the cosmetology commission in your state because what she did was unethical.

And if it comes down to it, the date and time of this thread is your proof girl!

I'm glad you walked out, Simplycee. :clap:
I wouldn't go back to her if I were you. :nono: It sounds like sabotage. It was obvious what your preference was and lye and no-lye can make a big difference on some people's hair.

You did the right thing by walking out and not payng. I would have done the same thing. I feel like if I asked you for a particular product that is what I should recieve. I am he type of person who wouldn't go back I would do my own hair until I feel like I have found a hairdresser worth touch my hair!!!!!!!!!

That is totally unacceptable. When you have a working relationship that long its almost like a friendship and she has broken your trust. I would talk to her after you calm down and let her know your forgive her just for your own mental well being but I would let her know you will be going else where for your services. She cannot be trusted. Being a professional she has to know there is a difference between lye and no lye. I dont know what her motives are, whether she wanted the money and instead of telling you she didnt have the product she used something else or whether she was being more malicious and trying to sabotage your progress, but after 7 years I would come to expect some honesty if it were the former.

SimplyCee I am so sorry to hear that. :nono: I think that you should at least allow your stylist to apologize in person but Iwouldn't feel obligated to return to her in the future. It's so hard to find a good beautician so 'divorcing' is hard, trust me. However, I'm unsure if you will ever trust her with your beautiful tresses again. Be sure to keep your hair in the baggie for a few days and keep it in loose buns to preserve moisture. Good luck, hon. :kiss:

Good for you for walking out! She's fortunate you aren't suing her. I agree with Supergirl that this is highly unethical and about contacting the cosmetology commission. What if you were allergic to no lye relaxers? She was supposed to give you what you asked for and what she agreed to do. She did this deliberately and it sounds like a power ploy. Personally, I wouldn't want someone I couldn't trust working on my hair ever again.

This is so unacceptable and disturbing. Honestly, I wouldn't even want to return to her shop to even hear what pathetic excuse she has to give. It's not right when she sees how hard you've been working on your hair and knows how particular you are about certain products.

Your hair will prob do okay with some intensive moiturizing treatments and maybe treatments with Sebastian Colourshines in clear or another color to heal seal the cuticle. Once you are proactive in attending to your hair at this point, it will prevent some of the potential damage from setting in. Good Luck!

I'm so happy you stood up for yourself!! I think many of us need to take a leaf out of your book.

I'm hoping that since this was a one off your hair won't be too affected by it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

xx

p.s I wouldn't accept her apology, but then again i'm stubborn, what is she really apologising for? For getting caught? She knew what she was doing!

x

Crysdon said:
I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I don't think you should go back. i wouldn't even trust her to do ANY type of service on my head.

She knew that you've only used lye and purposely put a no-lye on your hair. Sounds like sabotage and I would make sure everyone I know does not frequent her shop.

Try deep conditioning every wash and moisturize every other day.

Again, I'm so sorry this happened to you.
This is exactly what I would do. Whatever YOU decide to do, DO NOT GO BACK! As the saying goes, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

tryn2growmyhair said:
This is exactly what I would do. Whatever YOU decide to do, DO NOT GO BACK! As the saying goes, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
I want to clarify that when I say, don't go back, not even for free treatments. A) It might be sabatoge. B) She's already shown that she can't be trusted to put the right stuff in your hair when she's been PAID! I'd shudder to think of what this stylist might put in my hair for FREE! :eek:

Just my two cents. As others on this board say, no one can love your hair better than you can.

wow. i can't believe after you've known her for that long she would do something like that. Was she calling you back to apologize or to cover up/lie? I hope that your hair can take the no-lye and stay strong. I don't think you should go back to her if she can't be trusted.

I wouldn't go back. This thread serves as yet another validation for my decision to take care of my own hair and not use a stylist/salon. I've been through the growth cycle then having to cut too many times. Now that I'm control of my hair (that I love so much) I can only blame myself for any hair mishaps. I'm so very proud of you for standing up for yourself and not paying. What happened to you is no different than going to a restauraunt and ordering a vegetable platter and the waiter brings you a rare steak - Huh???? No no no that's not acceptable. You're hair is so beautiful and strong, I'm sure this won't cause any damage, just continue with deep conditioners.

Last edited:
Isis said:
Good for you for walking out! She's fortunate you aren't suing her. I agree with Supergirl that this is highly unethical and about contacting the cosmetology commission. What if you were allergic to no lye relaxers? She was supposed to give you what you asked for and what she agreed to do. She did this deliberately and it sounds like a power ploy. Personally, I wouldn't want someone I couldn't trust working on my hair ever again.

While I agree with everyone that what she did was wrong, for what do you think that she could sue? She does not have a legal case.

Last edited:
:( I'm sorry to hear that! Knowing that the tub of Motions Oil Relaxer is sitting right on her station, and she uses some no name no-lye relaxer in your hair?!?!?!? That was a bold move on her part. And what gets me is that she confirmed MORE THAN ONCE with you about the relaxer you used. If I were in your place, I wouldn't go back to her shop at all! I hope it doesn't damage your hair at all!

Never EVER go back to her again.
Apparently you are very loyal to her and she does not appreciate that.

That was SO wrong! Why would she deliberately put something in your hair that you didn't want when what you wanted was right there!!! I agree that you should call her and tell her that you are planning to contact the authorities and that she should be worried about her license. She should definitely agree to give you free services for any damages that she may have caused. Sorry that you had to go through that.

LoriLOCX said:
That's one thing about beauticians. They think everybody doesn't have a clue what they might pull. You were right to not pay, especially if you specifically asked for MOTIONS. I would have done the same thing. I think you should call her back and request that she provide you with free treatments to correct any potential dryness. She should do your deep conditioner treatments for FREE until your next touch up. :mad:

I totally agree!

I cannot believe she did that. After all the years of loyalty from you...I have a suspision she may be jealous of your progress. Why would she do that....

I donot understand why hairdresser do this. I am considering doing my own relaxer from now on. After all the work to care for your hair and have someone mess it up is scary:mad: . All I need is a mirror at the back and sides of me like a fold up mirror. Now where can I find this :perplexed . Why, purposely mess someone hair up? Not nly is this it childish but also vindictive. I will not go back if I were you even if she was my sister. I think at our lhcf meeting we should teach each other how to apply our own relaxers:D , as oppose to trusting someone with chemicals.

Simplycee,

I am really sorry that this happened to you. My first question is what was her underline motive? Ask her.make her answer that question. It doesnt matter how sorry she is if she can not tell you why she specifically went against your wishes. I wouldnt go back to her again,absolutely not!

I know as women,our hair is our crowning glory and losing that can be traumatic but Simplycee,you will be fine. Just take extra care of your hair until your next touch up. Use extra protein for strength and extra moisture for elasticity. I'm assuming it was only the new growth that she relaxed and even though the length is slightly affected by the relaxer during the rinsing process,its not as bad as it would have been had she did your whole head root to tip! I looked at your album and your hair is gorgeous and looks really strong...I dont think they'll be any setback for you.
Good luck and keep us abreast on you hairs health.

TeeTee2

I think she wanted to ruin your hair because she is jealous.
I agree with what someone else said; that she's not sorry she did it, she's sorry she got caught.

LoriLOCX said:
She should do your deep conditioner treatments for FREE until your next touch up. :mad:

Or, get her to do the treatments for free then don't turn up for the touch up appointment. That'll teach her :D

Cee,

Sorry to hear about what happened. Definitely don't go back. And take some pics of your hair so that if any damage becomes noticable you will have proof as your hair's health progresses.

I wonder if she has ever done this to you or anyone else before? There was a reason she had that Motions container sitting there for you to see.

I had a similiar experience and the thing is it happens when they turn you away from the mirror. If I ever go back to a stylist I think that will be my clue to watch more closely.

I'm sure your hair will be fine, but I know that doesn't help when you're wondering if it's damaged. Hang in there.

Im in agreement with everyone who said DO NOT RETURN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

I think stylist do somethng shady to our hair every once in a while, so that we may come back to the salon twice a month instead of your usuall once a month, because our hair is going through a traumatic stage, due to them doing us shaddy in some undercover way, in order to make more money.

Say your hair started to really break off or it became extremely dry, maybe she thought that you would be at the salon now every 6 weaks to get an extreme conditioning treatment or some foolishness like that. This could apply to any of us who actually frequent the salon. She is such a BOOP for what she did. I would definetely report her.

Im so crazy, don't mess with me, I would take it a step further and tell anyone who would listen about my traumatic experience with DEEDEE (Stylist Name) at the We Want You To BE BALD Hair Salon (Hair Salon Name).

Your hair will survive don't let it get you down.

Press on Towards Your Mark

-TrustTheWord

Back