I WANNA BLOWDRY!! It there a healthy-hair way to do it?

Do you use a blow dryer with a comb attachment?

• Yes, all of the time/most of the time.

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • Yes, but very rarely.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • No, never.

Votes: 21 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I like the way my hair turns out better when it's blowdried than when it's airdried. Can I blowdry my hair and still keep my hair in a healthy state? I know I'm supposed to use heat protectant and blow dry in sections, preferrably on warm instead of hot. Is there anything else I should do? Do you blowdry (not under a hood dryer, but a blowdryer with a comb attachment)?

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I used a blowdryer today and was thinkin the same thing. I keep it far from my head but still close enough for it to get the job done. I didnt use a comb attachment though. I used my finger as a comb....I dont see how it would be worst than a hooded dryer. Expecially when your the same distance away as the hooded. Lets see what other ladies say..........

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I used a blowdryer today and was thinkin the same thing. I keep it far from my head but still close enough for it to get the job done. I didnt use a comb attachment though. I used my finger as a comb....I dont see how it would be worst than a hooded dryer. Expecially when your the same distance away as the hooded. Lets see what other ladies say..........
I've heard in the past (on LHCF) that it's the different between a breeze and a tornado. I think that was the term used. They said that to say that the blow dryer is more harshly blowing air at your hair.:ohwell:

cmesweet

I have used a blow drier, but rarely. What I do is this: I air dry my hair, sometimes damp sometimes completely. Then I take it in sections and blow dry it on high...it takes less strokes to semi-straighten the hair...

I did the same thing when I was relaxed and it smoothed my relaxed hair.

Keen

IMO, Blow drying is OK as long as you don't do it all the time. Be sure to use a heat protectant and blow in the direction from roots to ends. That is important because your hair shaft is facing towards your ends. So blow drying in the same direction will be less damaging.

ETA: I blow dry my roommates hair every now and then and she doesn't get any damage from that. I don't blow dry my hair though. I'm satisfied with air dry using Chi Silk Infusion plus I can't blow dry in the direction from roots to ends on my on head.

Last edited:

Smiley79

IMO, Blow drying is OK as long as you don't do it all the time. Be sure to use a heat protectant and blow in the direction from roots to ends. That is important because your hair shaft is facing towards your ends. So blow drying in the same direction will be less damaging.

ETA: I blow dry my roommates hair every now and then and she doesn't get any damage from that. I don't blow dry my hair though. I'm satisfied with air dry using Chi Silk Infusion plus I can't blow dry in the direction from roots to ends on my on head.
Keen, how is the CHI serum on air dryed hair? I thought it was only for blowdrying and haven't used mine for airdrying yet. Tell me about it...

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I've heard in the past (on LHCF) that it's the different between a breeze and a tornado. I think that was the term used. They said that to say that the blow dryer is more harshly blowing air at your hair.:ohwell:
Ohh okay:look:

Sunshyn3

I just blow dry on cool hair if anything. I only use the medium heat on a blow dryer maybe once every three months or so. The healthiest way to blow dry is to do a really good deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner and use a heat protectant.

Keen

Keen, how is the CHI serum on air dryed hair? I thought it was only for blowdrying and haven't used mine for airdrying yet. Tell me about it...

I put it on my wet hair after my leave in. I do not use if for blow drying. I've tried it on dry hair and I did not like the result so I only apply it on wet hair.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I put it on my wet hair after my leave in. I do not use if for blow drying. I've tried it on dry hair and I did not like the result so I only apply it on wet hair.
I never thought of using CHI SI when I wasnt rollersetting, ummm I may give it a try since I got an extra bottle from JCP last month.

fluffylocks

If you just detangle your hair well, and just go under the dome dryer, on low 30 min or so, then your hair will look like a blowdry.

I saw it on a youtube video, made a thread asking about it a min. ago, and a couple of ladies do it.

My ends would get frizzy though and TuffCookie was telling me to put rollers on the ends of your hair.
Then you can moisturize a little bit, pincurl or wrap your hair, and do a saran wrap.
ETA- To be exact she was telling me that you can put alittle more leavein, like a dime size, wrap, saran wrap, and go under the dryer on low for about 15min.

I love it.

But I do love blowdrys too, I use the comb attatchment as well and aim down. I cant really accuratly judge how they do my hair because I usually get carried away when I blowdry and do it again soon or use different forms of heat when I usually dont.

Last edited:

longhairlover

I blow dry and my hair is fine, i use frizz ease extra strength for thermal styling and flat iron once a week. right now i'm laying off of the flat ironing and blow drying but i normally blow dry once a week.

I guess blow dry in moderation with the pic attachment or paddle brush.

but a heat protectant is very important.

Smiley79

I love that saran wrap result...i saw a youtube video of a girl do that (with long hair though). She did it after a roller set...beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! I don't rollerset; i wish i could enjoy that saran wrap experience for my hair.

Smiley79

wow...your hair looks stunning in your sig pic. Shine for days girl!!!! and you blowdry! Go head girl, lol.:clapping:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I love that saran wrap result...i saw a youtube video of a girl do that (with long hair though). She did it after a roller set...beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! I don't rollerset; i wish i could enjoy that saran wrap experience for my hair.

I love the saran wrap technique too. I also did mine after my rollerset, I put pics of it in my fotki. I need to get back to rollersets. The only drawback is that my hair is BIG after a rollerset :ohwell:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
wow...your hair looks stunning in your sig pic. Shine for days girl!!!! and you blowdry! Go head girl, lol.:clapping:

ITA :yep: Her hair is gorgeous! Doesn't she look like she's in the middle of a Beyonce move with the wind blowing through her pretty hair in her avitar??

TaurusAngel

I blowdry once a week. I make sure i put my leave-ins in, then i apply my Paul Mitchell serum and i get a wide tooth comb and use that to help blowdry my hair. I hold the dryer up just enough so that its drying my hair but not directly on my hair. I have no issues doing it this way. I also do it from the bottom up

Mars_Reiko

I just blow dry on cool hair if anything. I only use the medium heat on a blow dryer maybe once every three months or so. The healthiest way to blow dry is to do a really good deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner and use a heat protectant.

I agree. I'm a blow dryer (w/ a paddle brush). I do so every two weeks. But like sunshyn said, deep conditioning and a heat protectant is very crucial.

ShiShiPooPoo

A T3 blowdryer is supposed to dry your hair super fast. I saw one at Marshall's for 59 dollars...thought about getting it.

DayStar

i have omitted blow drying...my hair HATES it and has set me back 1 million steps....i air dry and flat iron and my hair is very silky and straight!

BlackMarilyn

i put a moisturizer in my hair followed by a heat protectant and blow dry in very small sections. for each section, before i blow dry, i detangle with a wide tooth comb and then use a paddle brush with the dryer. i use the lowest heat my dryer can do so that it feels like the same amt of heat from a hooded dryer (or less). it takes a while to dry but if i start from the back, i dry to about 85% and continue. by the time i reach the top of my hair, the back is dry.

then i use a flat iron on the lowest setting. after that, i sometimes lightly put oil on my hair.

turnergirl

When I did blowdry my hair, which was only as a natural, I would detangle thoroughly in the shower and put my hair into 4 braids.

Then once I got out of the shower take down one braid and towel dry it by squeezing it (no rubbing).

Then I would add heat protectant and blow dry with a comb attachtment on the cool temp setting and high airflow. I would only run the comb through a few times and then remove the comb and continue drying.

Little to no heat and I never had broken hairs from the comb.

Ms Lala

I blowdry once very 2-3 weeks. I use a comb attachment , I have tried the tension method or using a brush but it is too hard for me (maybe I need mroe practice). I think everyone here has already given you good tips. I bought an ionic dryer so I use it on low heat but high speed for quicker drying. My hair takes too long to airdry.

Last edited:

locabouthair

I blowdry once a week. I make sure i put my leave-ins in, then i apply my Paul Mitchell serum and i get a wide tooth comb and use that to help blowdry my hair. I hold the dryer up just enough so that its drying my hair but not directly on my hair. I have no issues doing it this way. I also do it from the bottom up

I did this instead of using a comb attachment at my hair came out frizzy looking. I dont know what I did wrong.

LovingLengths

i have a remington ion blow dryer and it has a setting for "cool" air instead of heat... i like it a lot and get the same results as i would with regular heat

lexi84

Does blowdrying on the cold setting make a difference? Is it the blowdryer itself that causes damage or the heat setting? I've always wondered this. Someone help me.