How do you blowdry?

Snuckles

I can't help but notice that a lot of people on this site use blowdryers without the comb attachment. Now I know a lot of you are relaxed and I also know that I need to update my blowdryer from the old Gold N' Hot style.

My question is for those that are natural, how in the heck do you blowdry your hair? Do you use a comb attachment? Is using the comb attachment bad? Does someone have a tuturial or link I can look at?

For the life of me I can't imagine holding a blow dryer in one hand and trying to brush my hair dry with the other. Please help me someone, I haven't blown my hair dry in close to a year but when I get ready I want to do it correctly.

Thanks.

Ms Lala

I actually tried it w/o the comb attachment and it was a nightmare for me. I would like tips on this also. I had one mass of tangled hair.

LynnieB

i don't use and never have used any attachment cept the [SIZE=-1]concentrator attachment and my denman.
[/SIZE]

honeybadgirl

i'm natural and i use a paddle brush when i blow dry. that way may be a bit advanced for some and it does take time to really get it down to where your hair is pretty straight. :grin:

PinkSkates

I blowdry my natural 4a, brastrap length hair without a comb attachment. That is too much manipulation for my fine tresses. I hold my hair downward, and using tension, I blow dry my hair into a loose afro. There is no tangling, and it makes pressing my hair a breeze. It's all about using the right products for your hair type and your skills with using heated appliances.

Snuckles

Okay, LynnieB, honeybadgirl, pinkskates, please give us some tips . . .

a) what's your hair type?
b) are you just holding your hair taut or actually brushing/combing your hair while blowing it dry?
c) what blowdryer do you have?

We're trying to get the skills but need your help and any info you can provide. Thanks.

Last edited:

PinkSkates

Hi Snuckles... here is a pic of me blowdrying my 4a hair. After I have applied my products, I detangle my hair, then I blow dry by just holding my hair taut and aiming the dryer up and down my hair strands.

LynnieB

my technique is very similar to pinkskates.

i like to detangle then make several messy twists and allow to airdry til damp then untwist and gently smooth out the hair with fingers then the denman while blowdrying. if i run into a snarl, i stop and get the knot out then continue. i use a creamy heat protectant just before i blow it out - it seems to help smooth down the hair. i finish with a cold blast to close the cuticle.

the key i think is using the right product for the job and technique. i'd never heard of a comb attachment until i started hanging out on hair boards.

i'm not sure of my hair type :nono: - it looks like it could be one thing but behaves like something else. it's very, very thick in strand size and density and feels wiry to the touch. it has a tendency to spiral and curl up on the ends (especially beneath the crown and nape) and that's where most of the tangling occurs.

hth

eta: i don't plan on doing this routinely - i know my hair can take all sorts of heat abuse and survive aright but why tempt fate? i've got goals to reach and hairs to grow :grin::lachen:

Last edited:

meaganita

I blowdry my natural 4a, brastrap length hair without a comb attachment. That is too much manipulation for my fine tresses. I hold my hair downward, and using tension, I blow dry my hair into a loose afro. There is no tangling, and it makes pressing my hair a breeze. It's all about using the right products for your hair type and your skills with using heated appliances.
This is EXACTLY what I do. I think the results come out better than with a comb attachment and with less trauma to the hair.

Here's a pic of the result:

Attachments

• Sept07blowout.jpg
    Sept07blowout.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 28

honeybadgirl

Okay, LynnieB, honeybadgirl, pinkskates, please give us some tips . . .

a) what's your hair type?
b) are you just holding your hair taut or actually brushing/combing your hair while blowing it dry?
c) what blowdryer do you have?

We're trying to get the skills but need your help and any info you can provide. Thanks.

i tried pinkskates way and it really works well. just like i told her, after she gave me that tip, i REALLY liked it and was surprised at how straight it came out for not using a comb or brush. it wasnt bone straight but did very well. it wasnt quite as well as when i use a paddle brush BUT far less manipulation!
when i use the paddle brush i just section relatively small pieces of hair and place the brush under that section of hair. just get my hair in it and then blow it. as it slightly dries i glide the paddle brush downward with the dryer. eventually the brush glides right down very easily and i have VERY straight hair.
i use aveda smoothing fluid which i am totally in love with!!!!:grin: i use that daily and my hair feels so so soft and pretty.
actually when my hair is wet and i'm ready to blow it out i mix aveda elixir, smoothing fluid and brilliant in my hands and put it thru out my hair. i just started doing that about 2-3 wks ago and i LOVE the results:drunk:

i also use the CHI blow dryer:)
and my hair is about 3cish

Last edited:

Snuckles

Pinkstates, that picture was like 1000 words to me. Your hair was already dry in the picture right? My hair just doesn't hang like that when wet, it's more of a afro.

Thanks for the additional tips ladies, I'm getting the picture now.

When I've used the comb attachment in the past, yes there were little hairs all over the bathroom when I was done. I knew that that was bad but didn't know any better. Holding the hair straight while moving the blowdryer up and down the hair shaft makes perfect sense and much less manipulation to the hair. **insert light bulb smiley**

When I get a new fancy dancy blowdryer, I'm going to try this method.

PinkSkates

No snuckles, (luv your screen name) my hair was 70% wet when I took that photo. By the time I apply products and detangle, my hair dries about 30%. Which is good because you never want to blow dry sopping wet hair. Good luck with your hair.

Healthb4Length

Pinkskates thanks for the tip! I feel so dumb:rolleyes:, I don't know why it never occured to me to try blow drying my hair this way. I usually use a comb attachment but would get major breakage, I started using a brush but that wasn't encouraging either:blush:. I will try your way in the future and hopefully I'll have success!

MsKipani

I'm a natural and i use the comb attachment, but I went to get my hair done professionally last week and was reminded of using another method - sitting under a hard hat drier.
He parted my hair into 4 twists and I sat under the drier. My hair dried perfectly and kind of straight in some parts. He then went on to flat ironing my hair. I think that this is another option for lower manipulation. I plan on buying a hard hat drier this week before my next wash. If not, I'm going to try pinkskates drying method - the lower the manipulation the better. Plus, I'd rather sit under a drier than tire my arms out using the comb attachment!

PinkSkates

Originally posted by Alli77
Pinkskates thanks for the tip! I feel so dumb:rolleyes:, I don't know why it never occured to me to try blow drying my hair this way. I usually use a comb attachment but would get major breakage, I started using a brush but that wasn't encouraging either:blush:. I will try your way in the future and hopefully I'll have success!

You are very welcome! Good luck with your precious tresses!

Suerte

I use a large paddle cushion brush and kinda catch my hair from underneath and direct the air on top of it.

I shake/towel blot my hair...apply liquid leave in...then use the cool air setting to get it about 90% dry. Then I section it into 4 parts and put a heat protecting serum on it (Fantasia usually) and use the hot setting to get it the rest of the way dry and straightish.

I have like... 3b/3c/4a hair and this works best for me.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have to use a wide tooth comb attachment with my blowdryer to blowdry my natural hair. My hair is too dense and shrinky to blowdry without an attachment. A comb attachment isn't damaging to my hair. You just have to be very gentle with your hair and use a good heat protectant before proceeding.