I want that just-been-to-the-hairdresser "polished" look

DreamLife

I went to my hairdresser for hopefully the last time last month. I'm about to transition to texlaxed and become a total D-I-Y. I'm tired of getting my progress cut off and having panic attacks in the chair lol when I'm supposed to be relaxing. But what always draws me back to the hairdresser is the fact that I can't achieve that polished look! Is it a product, or just the technique? Do I just need to keep practicing. Or is there a product that will actually make my rollersets last for more than 2 days that the hairdresser was hiding? lol. Help!

wheezy807

Maybe a combination of all. I hear that when you rollerset less product is more. It gives the hair more body and bounce. Macherieamour has a great DVD out. Her sets alway look polished.

Wanderland

It's mostly practice. I also agree if you want a swinging rollerset, or a bouncy do in whatever style less is more. Just keep practicing whatever style you choose, I'm sure soon it'll look great. When I do my hair now, it usually looks salon fresh, and I'm not a full time DIY nor do I use direct heat, so its definitely is possible. I'm beginning to prefer how I style my hair to how my stylist styles it.

DreamLife

Thanks. I do have machiaemour's DVD and thats how I know how to do rollersets at all, but I never use any type of setting lotion because it breaks my hair off (maybe I'm using too much)...they come out pretty nice if I don't have too much new growth, but they only last for 2-3 days max...I gotta keep practicing!

ArrrBeee

Thanks. I do have machiaemour's DVD and thats how I know how to do rollersets at all, but I never use any type of setting lotion because it breaks my hair off (maybe I'm using too much)...they come out pretty nice if I don't have too much new growth, but they only last for 2-3 days max...I gotta keep practicing!

Do you roll it up every night? I have found that when I roll my hair with satin covered rollers it looks decent and frizzes less.

Energist

It really is all about the process and deep conditioning/setting products.

Make sure you are using products which give hair a lot of slip and shine. It's not all about the heat either, because I have been rollersetting my hair and air drying for an entire month and my hair is actually unbelievably softer and has much much more bounce then when I sit under the dryer, so it's the products and technique I believe.

Also you can try pin curling your hair for the days after. That keeps mine fresh for atleast 4-5 days, up until I start the oiling process.

JLove74

pincurling never worked for me, the curls just look lifeless. So I just use my trusty flexi-rods (with a little mango butter on the ends) at night to maintain curls.

lexi08

pincurling never worked for me, the curls just look lifeless. So I just use my trusty flexi-rods (with a little mango butter on the ends) at night to maintain curls.

Maybe I need to by some larger flexirods, my curls look like granny curls when I use them. I have to wrap my hair for a few minutes to relax the curl.

Keen

Make sure your rollers are really tight. Yall may not agree with me but to get your rollerset really smooth, use a small tooth comb (I use something just one size bigger than fine tooth) to comb out the then roll it really tight. When I roller set, I don't detangle my hair (I detangle my roommate's hair because she has a lot of hair plus she rub her hair too much while washing). I part it, comb it out with a big comb, then the smaller comb.

JLove74

Maybe I need to by some larger flexirods, my curls look like granny curls when I use them. I have to wrap my hair for a few minutes to relax the curl.

I use the purple ones and don't curl them so tight to your scalp, or you will get granny curls:grin: