I Want to Grow in Faith

Prettyinpink00

I was listening to the a Christian radio station this past week and i was listening to a teaching. I have known of Jesus and of course God practically all my life, but i was have not ever been deeply rooted in my faith and sprituality. Lately i have asked God to come in, renew me, hold me, and free me from my sins because I believe i am ready. I feel i am ready to compltely hand my life over to him. But i feel like he is being still, i feel nothing. Maybe he's saying not yet? I don"t know. In the teaching the pastor said something like "you can"t follow and truly love and appreciate someone who you do not know. You won"t trust a stranger" and it instilled a truthful feeling inside of me. I'm going to read the bible more often, i want to do it out of a pure desire in my heart though, and not as if i feel like i am obligated. Can you suggest any scriptures or books for me to read? People have suggested often to begin in the book of John, there you read the story of Jesus. What book do would you suggest to me, tp read about his love, his grace and his loyalty and the loyalty we should have to him. I want nothing more than to wake up each morning and to live each day feel the holy spirit, and life lived by faith in God.
God Bless, and thank you in advance for your responses.

To begin with the greatest love you'll ever know is not a feeling. All humans desire love. When you understand how much God loves you greater than any oneelse can than maybe you will begin to understand the need to be loyal. God is great. The greatest in all the universe. He is all powereful. When you are ready to grasp these things you will respect and honor him. Then when you are ready to see what a sinner you are and how without him there can be no escaping sin then you will run to him and pray he never forsake you. And when you understand the great compassion that he has for you, you shall be greatful all the days of your life that he who is so great still will love you. Then when you can understand what emptyness there would be with out him and can not imagine being away from him you will do every thing he has said to insure you shall never be separated from him. It is not God who needs us but we who need God. This holy one, this mighty one, this immortal one came down from heaven and was the incarnate man Jesus Christ to ensure the path to be with him for ever.

No one scripture or book may help but I have heard that C.S. Lewis wrote Mere Christianity after he converted, Also his book the Four loves. But most of all read the bible. His wisdom and strength, his compassion and wrath, his forgiveness is awsome. After all of this you will know the Love of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the Father and the Holy Spirit. It isn't a feeling its a knowledge that will fill your very soul.

In Christ

Last edited:
Hi Pretty

I agree with Vintage, loving and knowing God is not a feeling, it is by faith. As Vintage, as you begin to read His Word and begin to know Him, your love for Him will grow out of sheer awe and gratitude for His mercy and love. God hears your prayer for more of Him, and He says He will draw near to us if we draw near to Him. Reading the Bible may seem like a chore or an obligation at first, but just read a chapter or 2 at a time, pray and ask God to reveal to you what He is saying about your life. Also, part of drawing near to God means drawing away from things that are not of God. That may mean people, things and attitudes. It is not easy to do that, which is why we need God to help us. Your decision to yield yourself to Him completely is the best thing you'll ever do. Don't put pressure on yourself to feel something, keep praying, reading His word, attend a Bible-based church and in time, your relationship with Him will grow. You are still in my prayers!

The book of Hebrews is good on faith read the whole book. The entire Bible is good on His love, grace and mercy. It sound like you want structure reading. Try going to www.rbc.net and order the "Daily Bread" booklets they are free. These little booklets take you through the whole bible throughout the year.

Lastly, your love for God will not be based on how you feel but I understand what you are trying to say. In order to wake in the morning feeling connected to God make sure you acknowledge Him first like "Good morning Holy Spirit" or something and of course some prayer time and reading your Bible. I know most are in a hurry in the morning. So make sure you get up early enough to give God some time. Many people start out with 15 minutes in the morning and work their way up. Lunchtime some will add another short prayer and reading the Bible. Relationships take time to build it will not happen over night but God is looking at your heart. Have the right heart towards Him and His goodness while taking one day at a time. God loves you so much and looks forward to the time you and Him share. You will develop a wonderful intimate relationship with Him as time progress but be patient with yourself. Ask God to use you each day for His glory and don't worry He knows EXACTLY what to do. ;)
Prettyinpink00 said:
I was listening to the a Christian radio station this past week and i was listening to a teaching. I have known of Jesus and of course God practically all my life, but i was have not ever been deeply rooted in my faith and sprituality. Lately i have asked God to come in, renew me, hold me, and free me from my sins because I believe i am ready. I feel i am ready to compltely hand my life over to him. But i feel like he is being still, i feel nothing. Maybe he's saying not yet? I don"t know. In the teaching the pastor said something like "you can"t follow and truly love and appreciate someone who you do not know. You won"t trust a stranger" and it instilled a truthful feeling inside of me. I'm going to read the bible more often, i want to do it out of a pure desire in my heart though, and not as if i feel like i am obligated. Can you suggest any scriptures or books for me to read? People have suggested often to begin in the book of John, there you read the story of Jesus. What book do would you suggest to me, tp read about his love, his grace and his loyalty and the loyalty we should have to him. I want nothing more than to wake up each morning and to live each day feel the holy spirit, and life lived by faith in God.
God Bless, and thank you in advance for your responses.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I must say I really like it! :) I'd like to invite you to read the book 'The Purpose Driven Life' written by Rick Warren... It's life changing... ;)

Trea said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I must say I really like it! :) I'd like to invite you to read the book 'The Purpose Driven Life' written by Rick Warren... It's life changing... ;)
Yes, I agree this is one of the best books I have ever read besides the Bible. :)

Back