I was APL for a full week, then I went to a salon....

MaryJane3000

and you know the rest....

My goal was to get layers the moment i reached APL. I like the long layers look and I think it'll flatter my face. I moved to DC went to Salon Revive and they seemed good, she knew was she was talking about said all the right things we talked about where my hair was going and the past damage (relaxer wasn't washed out fully and caused breakage on the left side and the crown of my head, it was this experience that led me to this hair board to begin with). So yea I thought she and I were seeing eye to eye. She gave me a touch up and then I came back the following week for a dusting and the layers. i get my ends dusted periodically because Im trying to cut off all the damage hair which is thinner then the rest of my hair.

So long story short on the left side of my head at the nape there's about a section thats an inch wide where my hair is about 2-3 inches shorter thn the rest of my hair. For the longest this section was only about an inch long but i've been able to grow it out due to healthy hair practices. Well she cut my hair to this point. She was like I didn't cut that much it was barely an inch and so I asked her what an inch was and she showed me two inches. I nearly cried. My hair is now at my collarbone just touching it and I'm back at my starting point of where I was a year go. Everytime I look at my hair I'm mad. The only plus is that now I know that I can reach APL and my hair is it's healthiest that it's ever been and I think most if not all of the damage is gone. So maybe I can get to APL in four months. *off to buy some more JBCO and biotin and msm*

Platinum

:bighug: I'm sorry to read about your setback from that SHS. This is one of the reasons why I'm terrified of going to the salon.:wallbash:

nikki2229

:bighug:
Never go to a stylist happy about your length progress. It's as if they can smell the happiness and they can't wait to take their scissors and take away your happiness.
Your hair will grow back in no time. Did you complain to the stylist about the amount she cut?

DarkHair

Check my siggy. I'm sorry this happened to you. My suggestion would be to find another stylist that a)knows her measurements, and that b) will only do your trims for you. We'll be on this hair-growing journey together.

MaryJane3000

Yea I did complain, the thing is her tricky *** cut my nape first and i though she was just cutting the dead ends back there and she only cut a little so I thought it was good, then when she pulled the rest of my hair down and cut it I couldn't see it because she started in the middle. I told her the most she could cut was half an inch and she claimed she did that but I know where my hair falls on my body. APL to collarbone is WAAAY more than a half an inch. So she showed me her definition of an inch and i was like that looks like 2-3 inches. She then was like oh you're hairs going to grow faster now that it's cut. I was like uhhh no its not thats a myth. Then she was like oh that was dead hair...uhh no **** sherlock all hair is dead hair. Then she tells me how healthy my hair is and how I just have a few sections where the hair is a little stringy and I was like I know it's my hair. I looked at it again and I think it may be shorter than my profile pic is now. At the length I'm at now, i dont even want the layers in my head, it totally goes against the purpose of me waiting till my hair reached APL before getting it cut.

I think I'm going to youtube it up and buy a manniquen doll and practice trimming my own hair because this is the second time this has happened since i've started my healthy hair journey and i refuse to let it happen again.

LushLox

So sorry to hear this, but you'll be back with lovely blunt even ends. :yep:

Every time I decide to let my stylist trim my hair, I see one of these threads. :nono:

MaintaintheSexy

Damn, I just read an entire thread of horrible salon stories. Im sad this happened to you. Take it as a lesson learned and NEVER GO TO A SALON AGAIN

Opalsunset

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you! I couldn't imagine how horrific this whole experience must have been for you! But like you said, now you KNOW for yourself you can reach APL and when you are back, you will have AMAZING ends and be healthier than ever! Maybe you should try a growth aid to really put your growth into high gear! ::Hugs::

Janet'

Well, looking on the bright side, you know your hair can reach the length and this time when your reach APL, you know what NOT to do!!! You'll be fine!

SimpleKomplexity

This story is exactly why I'm SimpleKomplexity....crushing and closing beauticians' pockets since 2007. And don't plan on going back anytime soon!

I'm glad your hair is healthy though! Since you have all the healthy hair practices you can be back APL in NO time!

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

I'm so sorry this happened to you. This is the very reason that I bought scissors yesterday and did my own trim. At least if I cut off too much I can only be upset with myself.

danigurl18

I'm so sorry this happened to you :bighug: I almost walked into the same place on Friday for a trim since I was on U Street and I heard good things about that place...

tenderheaded

You'll just have to BAN stylists with scissors from your hair:wallbash: A lady on the LHC had a nice LONG talk with the stylist before her cut too - and lost 4-5 inches:nono: I lost several inches years ago because the hussy was sneaky and quiet with the scissors - and she had just cut it 3 weeks earlier!

Live and learn....

Bnster

Sorry, sorry, sorry that this happen to you. Definitely know how this feels. Twice it happened to me and after that I stood up and said no more to my SHS. I have my scissors now I need to just encourage myself and knowing when to cut. Sigh.

We work too hard for them to come along and just snip it off.

againstallodds

I'm so sorry this happened to you. :bighug:I had this happen to me when I reached APL. I was APL for all of two weeks until I went back for a wash and set and got a "trim." Needless to say I self trim now. Take matters into your own hands, some stylists just cannot be trusted.

lilsparkle825

Honey, I am SO sorry. I gotta echo DarkHair on this one.....see my sig!! This same thing happened to me back in June....I FINALLY hit BSL right at my two-year natural anniversary mark, and I was ecstatic. I went and got a blowout to celebrate, and I let the girl who ALWAYS trims my hair near me. That trick took me from BSL to grazing APL in a matter of seconds. I cried for days....I mean, all the work I had put in hiding my hair for six months straight was gone that fast...and the worst part was none of my family or friends understood. They all thought I was CRAZY for being so mad at her, so all I had was my LHCF girls to lean on.

The good news is....you've done it once, so now you know without a shadow of a doubt that you can do it again. I know it doesn't make up for those lost inches, but I heard it and it least made me feel a teeny tiny bit better. The even better news is....we are here for you. Hide your hair up in a bun for a few weeks (that way, you can get some growth and forget just how short it "feels"), and keep on your regimen. When you get back to APL in a few months, bump this thread as a "take THAT" to that crazy stylist.

nappystorm

Sorry that happened to you, OP ***hugs****

These ratchet-arse, sorry arse, trick arse, trifing arse, stank arse, heaux arse SHS, I swear...

davisbr88

:bighug:
Omg girl! I am so sad this happened to you. And I was actually thinking of going to Revive to treat myself to a salon trim when I straighten next month. No sir... my self-trimming will continue. Definitely learn how to trim yourself. It's scary at first but just start off cutting a tiny bit and then increase from there. Stylists won't take the time you would take on your hair. You might mess up, but a 1/4" or so mess-up is better than a 3" hacking!

hopeful

(((hugs))). I am heartbroken for you. I think APL is such a wonderful accomplishment and to have it stolen from you is so wrong. I have no doubt you'll be back to APL in no time. Like someone suggested bump this thread with your wonderful update. SHS be damned!

pattyr5

:cry3::cry::cry:Aww....sorry this happened. I know how you feel....I had a similar experience at a salon. I haven't been back to one in a while and I'm due for a cut. I wonder why none of these stylists seem to know the difference between one inch and two or three. And once it's done what can you do?? I fought the only way I knew how and that was with my money, I hit her in the purse by stop going there....and you know what?? Her shop was closed down!!! Serves her right for what she put my hair through.

Charz

Sinister Minister
Holy Crap, who was your stylist??? (if you don't mind me asking, or if you want to PM me the name)

Cuz I hope it's not my Lady, or I am NEVER getting a trim with my color.

MaryJane3000

awww thanks ladies! I looked at my hair again this morning and started crying. I'm so upset and all of my friends and family are acting like they don't understand why i'm so upset. All the time and money and energy Ive put into my hair. i was going to get my hair done and post pictures right after of my progress and this is what happens. This is the second time since I've started my hair journey that I've had a stylist do this and it kills me. I really looked at it today and she cut even more than what I thought. It was definately 3 inches. And I mean if i told her before don't mess with the length just put layers in, why would you do any more than a dusting? And now that I have these layers, they're short as hell and not even what I wanted. I feel like a fool. Thing is she's a good stylist she can do some hair, if I wanted a short cut then she did a good job, but thats not what I want and she did a great job with my relaxer the week before...she just needs to take a remedial math class and learn how to measure. I'll let her relax my hair but that's all she'll ever do. I may go to the hair cuttery with a ruler and have them trim my hair there. Or start threatening to not pay if my hair gets cut past a certain spot on my shirt. ahhh i can't even put my hair in a bun because of these freakin layers! FML

Sondice

Just wanated to show you some love <3 Ive had stylists do that to me too many times :( SMH, Hang in there, in time you will be ok, at least now you know what tools you need to have your hair grow, it will be back in no time!

coolsista-paris

i understand. sorry for this to happen . the last time i went to a salon it was for braids! that woman messed up my hair, pulled it out!

im definetly gonna try to do lots of stuff on my own!i do not want anyone in my hair