I will not touch heat again for a long time!!

Evolving78

This past Saturday i decided to get my hair straighten for my children's baby dedication. I was scared and nervous. To make a long story short, I spent way too much time in the salon, the stylist was really rough with handling my hair, tried to blow dry it with my hair being half dry and coily, and lets just say I can still smell the flat iron. It came out nice though and she did trim it, more than I would have liked for her to trim, but oh well. I didn't take a pic of myself, but I;m sure someone from church did. Well when I washed it out today, my hair felt funny and my coils are still taking some time to offically come back, but i don't have any straight strands. Thank God! I don't think that I will go through that experience again. It felt like I was getting my hair combed by my mother. I kinda felt like once it was straight that i didn't stand out anymore, like i looked like everyone else and I strted missing my natural hair texture though. Well I know now with seeing it straight that I will make shoulder length by the summer. My hair is really healthy and I don't want to see all of that go down the drain. Well I just had to vent. Anyone else have this experience? Oh by the way, I got a lot of compliments from my family.

LongHairDreams

Sorry to hear that. It seems like she didn't know what she was doing. You said you got a lot of compliments from your family. Did they seem to like your straight hair better?

~~HoneyComb~~

I straightened my hair recently and although there are stylists that know how to treat curly hair, I believe there are many that don't. That's why I do it myself. Yes, it feels nice to have someone else do it, and it may take a little longer to do it yourself, but I like being able to control the heat and manipulation on my own hair. I agree that I don't feel like I stand out with my hair straight. My curls so far have returned (I only flat iron 2x a year), and surprisingly, I don't get as many compliments on straight hair as I do with it curly. Sorry for your experience.

Evolving78

Sorry to hear that. It seems like she didn't know what she was doing. You said you got a lot of compliments from your family. Did they seem to like your straight hair better?

I kinda took it that way. They give me compliments on my natural styles too, but they kinda went overboard with it.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Me neither. I have been direct-heat free since December when I went to get my hair done and the roots only were flat ironed.

I've been roller setting consistently and when I CW, I just allow to airdry in a ponytail.

I find that my hair is getting healthier by the day. I roller set today and my hair is healthy, thicker, and blinging!!!