Idea to help our International Members...

Suerte

I realized that every two months or so...my sister, a few cousins, a few friends, etc...that live outside of the USA ask me to buy things and send the items to them. Sometimes they pay me, sometimes they pay for shipping and use the family excuse for me to 'gift' the actual items to them.

But I was thinking... wouldn't it be easier if there were like, 5-10 designated "Shoppers" for international members of the board?

That way, our Canadian friends wouldn't have to go through hell to find Curlformers that are at pretty much every Sally's here. Or that way people wouldn't have to pay $60 for a $20 half-a-wig. Or our friends that are in the military in Korea or Japan or Afghanistan or something don't have to suffer without their Cream of Nature.

Shipping is going to cost. We all know that. But why is someone overseas going through hell to buy Pantene. Or to buy satin scarves. Or setting lotion. Or to find Hot 6 Oil or Motions CPR. You know?

I have been thinking about this lately. Especially since I know that I wanna leave the country myself one day.

It would be much easier for someone to go to Target or Walmart...when they probably already go there in the first place...buy items for someone, and ship them. It would probably save the buyer 25% or so already.

I'm sure if we had several designated LHCF shoppers...and maybe for each order the International buyer tossed them $5.00 or something...just for their trouble...maybe we could get a nice little thing going.

Example using LHCF shopper:
  • Spend $50.00 at Wal Mart or Beauty Supply
  • Spend $20.00 for shipping
  • Send $5.00 to your LHCF shopper
Example using website with crazy shipping and handling fees:
  • Spend $80.00 for the same stuff that would have been $50.00 at Wal Mart or Beauty supply
  • Spend $45.00 for shipping AND handling
  • Spend an extra $20.00 to use DHL or someplace that offers quick shipping with a tracking number, etc.
Sometimes there is a looooong wait for your order to even be processed let alone filled. This could help so you don't have to wait up to 2 weeks for your order to even be processed and another 2 weeks for it to be filled in the first place.

Anyone ever think about this? How do you think we could make something like this work?

JustKiya

This is a BRILLIANT idea.

I'd be willing to volunteer to be a shopper - gives me a chance to spend someone else's money while I'm window shopping the BSS.... :lachen:

jamaicanadian

this is brilliant...i was pondering this the other day. I'm a canadian member that seems to miss out on stuff like the pibbs deal lol....i was looking at a soft bonnet dryer on walmart and a few other sites and it seems that either shipping isnt available to Canada or it costs and arm and a leg. paypal would be a safe way to get funds i think, if this were to be organized.

wonderstar

I could kiss you right now :kiss3:. I'm in the VI but you know alot of companies only ship to the continental US.

JustKiya

I think paypal, and PUBLIC threads. So that if someone is shady (on either side of the deal) it's not just PM's and she/said trying to figure things out.

Maybe have a sticky? Where the list of people shopping is in the first post, as well as the general 'procedure'. When someone wants something, they post to that thread, and one of the 'shoppers' picks it up. They agree to a price, and a time (so that members aren't waiting 50-11 years to get their stuff), and then both members rate/review the transaction after it's complete....

wonderstar

I don't think $5 is enough for the services though, ah mean you do have to factor in transportation.................

Let me shut my big mouth:lachen:

Suerte

I don't think $5 is enough for the services though, ah mean you do have to factor in transportation.................

Well $5.00 would be a baseline. I was just brainstorming. Perhaps $5.00 for each destination?

It could be really great though. We could set out certain rules, like all transactions have to be done through PayPal, the receipt needs to be sent to the buyer, tracking information needs to be given to the buyer, etc.

I agree with making everything very public, no behind the scenes things.

There should be requirements on the LHCF shopper. Like they need to have PayPal, they need to update the thread when things are shipped (they don't have to say who they are shipping TO and what they are shipping, but they should notify a thread "Items shipped, if not received in 14 days please notify me", etc.

I know I shipped something to a member in Australia and she got it in like...4 or 5 days. There is no reason for people to have to wait weeks upon weeks for some conditioner, ya know?

Soul♥Flower

I think paypal, and PUBLIC threads. So that if someone is shady (on either side of the deal) it's not just PM's and she/said trying to figure things out.

Maybe have a sticky? Where the list of people shopping is in the first post, as well as the general 'procedure'. When someone wants something, they post to that thread, and one of the 'shoppers' picks it up. They agree to a price, and a time (so that members aren't waiting 50-11 years to get their stuff), and then both members rate/review the transaction after it's complete....

All of that is a good idea

Ballerina_Bun

This procedure or something similar would be good, just to be on the safe side.

bludaydreamr

This is a great idea! OP, a memeber Velvet or VelvetHalo (sp) in the UK has a similar idea; she is trying to start a site to make products that we can buy here in the US more accessible to the members overseas. We maybe able to help her out in some way.:yep:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
That's a good idea. I actually offered to do that for a lady who wanted curlformers, she didn't take my offer. I can't say that I blame her though... the issue is trust. If you can work that out, it would be perfect!

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Gas IS expensive... no, but seriously though, you need to also buy the stuff to ship it in and also, I would hope, insurance on the package. Also, are they paying the person before they buy the product or after? No one would want to be out of their money...

tapioca_pudding

Suerte this is brilliant! :yep:

Could a 'shopper' back out if his/her life got a little hectic? Like if I signed up now but about 2 months in, my personal life gets too crazy to be doing alot of extra buying/shipping, could I back out for a bit til I'm ready to take it on again?

Would there be some sort of assignments? As in, I'm assigned 3 people to buy for, etc. Or is would it be on an 'as needed' basis?

Suerte

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Gas IS expensive... no, but seriously though, you need to also buy the stuff to ship it in and also, I would hope, insurance on the package. Also, are they paying the person before they buy the product or after? No one would want to be out of their money...

Well the person is buying the items and paying for shipping. Gas on average is $3.29 according to AAA. I doubt people are really going to be driving 30 miles to buy shampoo for someone.

This is why I am just brainstorming and gathering ideas.

Suerte this is brilliant! :yep:

Could a 'shopper' back out if his/her life got a little hectic? Like if I signed up now but about 2 months in, my personal life gets too crazy to be doing alot of extra buying/shipping, could I back out for a bit til I'm ready to take it on again?

Would there be some sort of assignments? As in, I'm assigned 3 people to buy for, etc. Or is would it be on an 'as needed' basis?

Of course. And since there will be several shoppers...you only have to shop for the lists that you agree too. IE, someone posts their list...a shopper agrees to get the items, etc. Just get those items. Each list completed. Don't take a list if you don't want to or cannot shop. So...if you have free time for a week...and can take on 5 lists, fine. If you can't take any lists, that is fine too.

Soul♥Flower

I would think that you would give the money before, so that they can use it to go buy your products. Maybe there should be a limit on money transactions? like $50 on products valued under such and such a price. And like $500 for products valued above such and such a price. This is just a suggestion and I just through up some random numbers, but the PJ bug can have people spending out a looot of money, and I would hate for someone to loose money because someone recieved a large order got greedy.

I don't know if this makes sense, but let me try and reword it, for very large orders you would have to split it up between volunteers. <<<does that make sense?

JustKiya

I would think beforehand, personally.

I'm thinking (and I'm basing this on another board of mine, that does something similar)

1) International Person (IP) posts on the shopping thread that they want 2 bottles of X, 3 bottles of Y, and six packets of Z.
2) US Shopper (US) says that they will try to fill IP's order.
3) US prices out the combo, posts the total price AND weight. (I can dig up a link to USPS to determine shipping costs based on weight)
4) IP agrees on the thread to pay Product Cost + Shipping (including packaging, insurance and tracking #'s) as well as an extra somethinsomethin for the US time and trouble.
5) IP submits the money via paypal, and posts that she did so.
6) US recieves the money, and posts that she has gotten it.
7) US picks up the products, packs and sends them to the IP, and posts that she has done so.
8) IP gets the stuff, posts that she has gotten it, and makes any comments as need be.

:look: Sound good? By keeping it public, there is no question - oh, she ain't send me the money, oh, I didn't know I had it, etc, etc, etc.

You can request to be taken off of the list of shoppers at anytime that you DON'T have an active transaction going on.

ALL of this is still done at your own risk, and LHCF is NOT liable if you lose loot and/or never get your products.

issidoll

Suerte you could very well be my hero. I am dying to try the kenra moisturising conditioner in particular:lovedrool:.
I think that the buyer should be paid in advance too via paypal as on ebay. I think initially people should be sensible and buy low cost items until seller builds a reputation.

abbygirl

this is a fabulous idea:grin:..espacially now dat av been eyeing the curlfomers :spinning: but cant get it over here in UK

Suerte

Before hand.

Sorry, I missed this before.

But they would say "Here is X amount of dollars for this list" People should definitely do their research before submitting a list. I was thinking there could be the advance for the shopping, and once the shopping is completed, the shipping can be paid and the list shipped.

Does that make sense?

IE...

List A:
10 Bottles of Kids Organics Detangling Conditioning Shea Lotion @ 3.99 each.
2 Half Wigs by Outre in Styles Claudette in 2 @ $69.00 each.

Will you accept this list? Yes or No?

Payment sent on X date.

LHCF Shopper informs buyer when list is complete and submits photocopy of receipt and estimated weight/shipping costs (should be a reasonable time like less than 7 days).

Buyer sends the additional funds and then gets their items and posts that they have received their items, etc.

Again... LHCF Shoppers should meet certain criteria. Like, they already have an online business in good standing, they have a high Ebay feedback rating (like 98%-100%), they have a PayPal account in good standing (no disputes where they were found to be at fault, etc), they are known members (ie someone can't just join and have 2 posts and no one has any idea of who they are but they sign up to take a list).

It would be great if the PayPal accounts used were the same ones we used to sign up on here, too.

Just to protect everyone in every way possible.

An independent site for an exchange WOULD be a good idea, but that adds additional cost into the matter. Like, you need to buy a domain, buy hosting, spend your time to design the page, and also then it opens it up to waaaaaayyyy too many people, you know? IE someone could register for a website as "Suerte"...but there is no way to verify that "Suerte" is me using X paypal account with X email address, you know?

shocol

Don't forget about currency conversion. It might not make that much of a difference with Canada and some parts of the Carribean, but will with the UK and the rest of Europe.

Suerte

ALL of this is still done at your own risk, and LHCF is NOT liable if you lose loot and/or never get your products.

Most definitely. Like everything we buy online.

When and if we get this thing organized and possibly stickied, that should be at the header of the thread.

Suerte

Don't forget about currency conversion. It might not make that much of a difference with Canada and some parts of the Carribean, but will with the UK and the rest of Europe.

Well with PayPal you can specify USD. That is already taken care of.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Well the person is buying the items and paying for shipping. Gas on average is $3.29 according to AAA. I doubt people are really going to be driving 30 miles to buy shampoo for someone.

This is why I am just brainstorming and gathering ideas.
I was just joking lady...:spinning:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Before hand.

Sorry, I missed this before.

But they would say "Here is X amount of dollars for this list" People should definitely do their research before submitting a list. I was thinking there could be the advance for the shopping, and once the shopping is completed, the shipping can be paid and the list shipped.

Does that make sense?

IE...

List A:
10 Bottles of Kids Organics Detangling Conditioning Shea Lotion @ 3.99 each.
2 Half Wigs by Outre in Styles Claudette in 2 @ $69.00 each.

Will you accept this list? Yes or No?

Payment sent on X date.

LHCF Shopper informs buyer when list is complete and submits photocopy of receipt and estimated weight/shipping costs (should be a reasonable time like less than 7 days).

Buyer sends the additional funds and then gets their items and posts that they have received their items, etc.

Again... LHCF Shoppers should meet certain criteria. Like, they already have an online business in good standing, they have a high Ebay feedback rating (like 98%-100%), they have a PayPal account in good standing (no disputes where they were found to be at fault, etc), they are known members (ie someone can't just join and have 2 posts and no one has any idea of who they are but they sign up to take a list).

It would be great if the PayPal accounts used were the same ones we used to sign up on here, too.

Just to protect everyone in every way possible.

An independent site for an exchange WOULD be a good idea, but that adds additional cost into the matter. Like, you need to buy a domain, buy hosting, spend your time to design the page, and also then it opens it up to waaaaaayyyy too many people, you know? IE someone could register for a website as "Suerte"...but there is no way to verify that "Suerte" is me using X paypal account with X email address, you know?
This sounds VERY good:yep: Another thing to take into consideration are taxes. Are hair products taxed? I think they are... I haven't really noticed. If so, the amount of taxes are different in every state.

Suerte

I was just joking lady...:spinning:

I know. Did I mention that your SN makes me think of the Sunsilk guys? lol

As far as tax goes... a simple photocopy of the receipt should do. A scanner, a webcam, a digicam, even a cell phone can take a good picture of a receipt. The buyer can cover any extras when they send the money for shipping.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I know. Did I mention that your SN makes me think of the Sunsilk guys? lol

As far as tax goes... a simple photocopy of the receipt should do. A scanner, a webcam, a digicam, even a cell phone can take a good picture of a receipt. The buyer can cover any extras when they send the money for shipping.
:lachen::lachen: That's a good remedy to the taxes