If Honeyquat is a Humectant

LittleLuxe

Then why is it good to use in a deep conditioner?

I thought humectants worked best by drawing moisture out of the air and worked horribly when there was no moisture to pull.

I would think that it'd be a bad idea to then use a humectant when you have a shower cap on your head or under a dryer.

Can anyone explain why this is okay?

Nonie

Let me try...

Conditioners are supposed to either enter strands or coat them, so by Honeyquat doing that and becoming part of the hair, when you wet the hair to rinse it off, you provide the moisture for it to draw from and hold onto. I believe when you rinse off conditioners, a part of them remains to condition your hair and only the excess washes away--especially in the case of DCs.

If used as a leave-in, then I'm guessing it'd work like any glycerin-based moisturizer and only keep hair moisturized if the air is humid.

Last edited:

lalla

I think that most humectant have already drawn part of the water in the conditioner.

I think that in your conditioner, you don't have honeyquat by itself ready to absorb moisture, you have molecules of honeyquat that are already linked with water molecules. Conditioners are rarely waterless, especially when they contain humectants.

Whatever amount of honeyquat is left in your hair after rinsing will keep some moisture on your strand and attract moisture form the hair.