If someone tells you your hair looks fake, it's a compliment

Eritreladiee

Last night I met up with a friend who I hadn’t seen in a while. My hair was out, pretty big, curly fro-ish.

So at some point during the night, she told me my hair looks fake :blush:. I was like ":huh:, what do you mean fake? where?" and I started feeling around my hair.

She said it looked fake especially in the back, because it was so full.

So then I started feeling around in the back of my hair. And I must’ve had a serious expression on my face, or maybe she sensed my anxiety over looking like I'm wearing fake hair, so she sorta looked at me funny, chuckled and said, “what's wrong with you? if someone tells you your hair looks fake, it’s a compliment”

I said “for who? black people?”

We both laughed, then moved on.

So this was my 1st time receiving the your hair looks fake compliment. Perhaps I hate the look of fake hair a lil too much to appreciate it :ohwell: but what do you guys think? Is it a compliment in your books?

Altho I take it as a compliment, I always feel self-conscious when my hair looks a little too fake LOL Like when I straighten my hair I only flatiron the roots and my ends have this cute cascading curls at the bottom. Its super cute and super fake looking. Even my adoring sister who has seen my hair from NL to what it is now.. she met up with me at a Legal's Seafoods and she didn't recognize me right away. She said that she first glanced over at me and thought to herself "wow that weave looks so fake" :lachen: LMAO We laughed so hard. I was a little self-conscious after that so once in a while I'd do a hair flip LOL and scratch my head. Ya know, for the haters LOLOLOL j/k

yeah I think it a compliment as well....I have seen hair that I would have sworn was an expensive wig...But it was just beautifully well behaved healthy hair....

Altho I take it as a compliment, I always feel self-conscious when my hair looks a little too fake LOL Like when I straighten my hair I only flatiron the roots and my ends have this cute cascading curls at the bottom. Its super cute and super fake looking. Even my adoring sister who has seen my hair from NL to what it is now.. she met up with me at a Legal's Seafoods and she didn't recognize me right away. She said that she first glanced over at me and thought to herself "wow that weave looks so fake" :lachen: LMAO We laughed so hard. I was a little self-conscious after that so once in a while I'd do a hair flip LOL and scratch my head. Ya know, for the haters LOLOLOL j/k

:rofl:

I feel you on that. I had to do a few hair maneuvers just to calm my spirit :laugh:

def a compliment. but i def do something a little extra to show that its not fake.

...as short as my hair is and people ask me that all the time. i dont get it.

I'm honestly think it's not a compliment IMO.

It seems fake because one doesn't expect you to have full luscious locks because you're either black, or don't have 'good hair' or for whatever reason.

It all comes down to stereotypes of people who ARE expected to have full luscious locks.

P.S I LOVE your luscious locks:lick:

its a compliment :yep: BUT I can understand how u felt.. its ur hair and u dont want it mistaken for not being real LOL

It seems fake because one doesn't expect you to have full luscious locks because you're either black, or don't have 'good hair' or for whatever reason.

It all comes down to stereotypes of people who ARE expected to have full luscious locks.

Thank you :kiss:

And I agree with the bold. I know my girl meant it as a compliment, didn't mean any harm, and I didn't take offense, but it just didn't sit right with me and had me thinking.

My daughter recently told me that my hair looked like a good weave when I wore it out (haven't worn it out all year). I was immediately like "YESSSS! THANKS, BABE!" It was a compliment from her and I received it that way. I think it is what you receive it as, IMO. I will always receive it as a compliment.

My daughter recently told me that my hair looked like a good weave when I wore it out (haven't worn it out all year). I was immediately like "YESSSS! THANKS, BABE!" It was a compliment from her and I received it that way. I think it is what you receive it as, IMO. I will always receive it as a compliment.

Your hair looks great in your siggy! I'm tempted to say it looks fake and leave it at that, but I won't ;)

I think its a compliment I recently got asked on here what hair I used to do my pixie braids and I said....my own natural hair:look: lol then when I did my mini twists someone posted either in the thread or in my fotki that they couldn't wait to have twists my length so it could look fake like mine:rofl:

I think since so many people are accustomed to Black women wearing fake hair....when you're a sista and you have full long hair that is your own....you'll often be told that your hair looks like a weave/wig.

Yep, its a compliment! Think of all the money we spend on weaves/wigs/hairpieces. For that super nice Indian or Malaysian hair [that blk women literally coo over] it can be upwards of $200 per bundle, so if someone thinks your hair looks like that, well, just do a hair flip on em and say "thank you" with a smile!

I agree that it's a compliment.

BUT, I think it's a compliment based on a stereotype about black hair. We as black women sometimes feel that our hair is not cute unless it's straight or has defined perfect curls. So a lot of people compliment each other based upon that belief.

My husband told me when we were dating and he lived out of state and saw me after a few weeks, I thought you had gotten a weave, your hair looks so fake! But it was my hair, flat ironed and long. So...I took it as a compliment.

I think its a compliment I recently got asked on here what hair I used to do my pixie braids and I said....my own natural hair:look: lol then when I did my mini twists someone posted either in the thread or in my fotki that they couldn't wait to have twists my length so it could look fake like mine:rofl:

I think since so many people are accustomed to Black women wearing fake hair....when you're a sista and you have full long hair that is your own....you'll often be told that your hair looks like a weave/wig.

:drool: girl, your hair is on a next level! I love those pixie braids especially.

Yeah and I definitely agree with you about people being accustomed to us wearing fake hair.

I guess I just wish black folks could just (even in their compliments) not associate what they consider nice hair with fake/weaves/hair of other races, etc. ya know?

Anyway, I guess it is what it is. I know my girl said it looked fake because it was so full, but most black people do have fuller hair naturally, so why it gotta be fake?

eta: It's almost like we always gotta attribute our beauty to something else

Last edited:
:drool: girl, your hair is on a next level! I love those pixie braids especially.

Yeah and I definitely agree with you about people being accustomed to us wearing fake hair.

I guess I just wish black folks could just (even in their compliments) not associate what they consider nice hair with fake/weaves/hair of other races, etc. ya know?

Anyway, I guess it is what it is. I know my girl said it looked fake because it was so full, but most black people do have fuller hair naturally, so why it gotta be fake?

:blush3: thanks! I feel you 100%. Its always compliment first....is it all yours? Next....then sometimes you get an I don't believe you and its just like damn!:ohwell:

I don't know. I do think it is a compliment, but then I start to think "Why my hair gotta be fake?" Maybe I over think things. That could be just me.

My 2 cents!

It seems fake because one doesn't expect you to have full luscious locks because you're either black, or don't have 'good hair' or for whatever reason. It all comes down to stereotypes of people who ARE expected to have full luscious locks. P.S I LOVE your luscious locks:lick:
It may not be a compliment but I take it as one. I often wear fake hair as a protective style and do so somewhat unashamed. Bone straight and shiny tonight - cuz my hair was not done airdrying and in a textured style early the next morning. I had a natural girl ask me yesterday if it was my hair [rude] (in a textured style) cuz "I'm always doing extra stuff" she said. She then proceeded to compliment me. Honestly I did feel some kinda way but then felt how great that my hair looks healthy, enhanced, full, etc. (my words)!

:blush3: thanks! I feel you 100%. Its always compliment first....is it all yours? Next....then sometimes you get an I don't believe you and its just like damn!:ohwell:
I think that is such a rude question "is it all yours?" You don't know me that well. Or when people stare you down as if they are looking for tell-tale signs that your hair style has been somehow enhanced. Monday night I walked into a room (late) and a couple of the girls (one clearly wearing extra hair) looked at me like I had a big pink, orange and green mohawk on my head. Never said a mumbling word just extended and repeated looks but I could see the approval on their faces.:lachen: Again - I just smile to myself that my hair must be on point for you to ask.

Especially since fake or enhancements seem to carry a negative connotation.

It's a compliment and it has nothing to do with race or ethnicity, but all to do with really pretty hair. I have a an Indian client and after I round brush her hair it looks just like baby doll hair and one of my classmates made the comment that her hair looks sooo pretty it looks fake. The same happened with a young white client of mine, after I spiraled curled her hair it looks like she is wearing a little Shirley Temple wig!

:yep::yep::yep:

It's a compliment and it has nothing to do with race or ethnicity, but all to do with really pretty hair. I have a an Indian client and after I round brush her hair it looks just like baby doll hair and one of my classmates made the comment that her hair looks sooo pretty it looks fake. The same happened with a young white client of mine, after I spiraled curled her hair it looks like she is wearing a little Shirley Temple wig!

Thanks for your response. I definitely see where you're coming from with that, especially with the curly hair/Shirley Temple.

That's actually my issue with fake curly hair. The curls look too "perfect," too uniform to look natural. I'm definitely not a fan of that look.

Perhaps this isn't a racial thing after all.

I think it depends on how it's said and who says it.

My mum says it to me sometimes but I know she means it as a compliment. :yep:

Back