if you weren't a hair board member...

chicacanella

We never believed the stereotypes because mom, both grandmas and great grandmas had apl plus hair. My problems were with stylists - their poor use of chemicals and scissors. I went looking for help doing my own hair and found LHCF and I coundn't believe that there was a whole GROUP of women helping other women do their own hair:drunk::spinning::drunk:

This was the same for me, except in my case my aunts, cousins and grandmother when she was younger stayed with hair no shorter than BSL. I thought that maybe because they had 2c-3a textures that I just didn't have the hair to grow that long and I got some weird gene from somewhere considering that my dad has 2c hair. I just didn't understand but when I got to LHCF and they start talking about terminal length, I started to say, "Well, maybe if my granny's side is able to get to WL effortlessly then I can too even if I have a course hair texture." So, now after being on LHCF for two years and at BSL, I do believe my hair can get to WL. I am actually anticipating how much longer it can be just to see how long it can go.:yep:

My problems were with my mom not knowing how to take care of my hair texture which is different from hers so this ended up with me being taken to the stylist at a young age which grew my hair to BSL. But the hair practices were so messed up. First they would blow dry you and then flat iron. I mean, they did deep condition with LeKair but that was just too much heat.

TwoKaylas

I was going to cut my hair above SL and "start over." Since joining LHCF last month, I've decided to nurse my hair back to health while gradually removing the old ends. I've reinvigorated my regimen, I'm more consistent, and I love the product reviews! My hair is thanking me for you ladies of the LHCF!!!!!! :notworthy

AND... love the fact that LHCF is so much more...political, spiritual, heath/fitness, off topic forums...LOVE THEM & Y'ALL! :blush3:

Before I thought that most black women just had it tougher with hair and that for some unfair reason, we could not get the long, healthy hair. I did read Cathy House's book, so I started to think "Hey, no wait, she did, so why can't anyone else?" I think from that I got the desire to learn more. I didn't really dislike natural hair or have a disdain for it...just my own. I had to take care of it myself and it was very difficult and I remember getting so upset.

I would get depressed because my hair seemed so difficult and wouldn't listen, and I felt that it could only go so far. That's one reason small part of my hair is thinner than the opposite section. I got really upset with my hair one time and just tried brushing a small part. dry. I kept brushing and brushing and brushing trying to get it to behave and ended up with a bald spot. My mom got some Dr.Miracles peppermint stuff or something for it and it did grow back eventually...But yea, I think before, my hair was just upsetting for me. I felt odd (being one of the few natural girls in h.s) and not pretty( because it was just a dry, hard to manage mess.) Man, it's sad thinking about it.:nono:

Now that I have the knowledge to know how to properly take care of my hair, I don't have issues with it. I think, just from putting effort into it, and seeing results, it makes me feel more connected to what's growing on my head. It's mine, I take care of it, I nurture it. Sure I have long detangling sessions, and I honestly don't have the time afterwards sometimes to put it into braids or twists, and it's not easy for me sometimes, but it's from my labor that it's healthy and getting somewhere. Can't be upset about that. I thank LHCF for that.

Dposh167

I def. would still hold on to those stereotypes. If i saw long hair on a sista...i would think she was mixed...or she just always had long hair her whole life. You couldn't tell me prior to lhcf...that a relaxed head can grow from SL to BSL and beyond....

....thank gosh for this site!...i will never take it for granted!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I never believed any of those stereotypes before being a member of this board in 2004. I already knew black girls could grow long hair. I grew long hair and I'm black...

I didn't hear about the "only light-skinned/mixed girls grew long hair" mentality until joining this board. I thought it was strange to hear people actually believe that.

And I didn't hear about the "going natural means Black power" mentality until I joined Nappturality and until some people (not on the hair boards) would questioned me about Black power when I went natural. I thought that was strange too.

drjo91

I was taught to hate my hair, to hate the color of my skin, to think that my hair wouldn't grow. I was taught to think that i had bad hair, i was taught that lightskin is better than dark skin. I was taught that those few black women with long hair were just LUCKY!! and i was one of the unlucky ones.
So thanks to FOTKI, LHCF, BHM!!!! Oh hail!!!!!!!!If it wasn't because of all of this, i would had been killing my hair with relaxers, heat and weaves.

chicacanella

I def. would still hold on to those stereotypes. If i saw long hair on a sista...i would think she was mixed...or she just always had long hair her whole life. You couldn't tell me prior to lhcf...that a relaxed head can grow from SL to BSL and beyond....

....thank gosh for this site!...i will never take it for granted!

Oh...my...goodness. Your...hair...has...done...a...180. Okay, don't mind all the elipses but that is how my mind was actually processing it as I looked at your before and after pics. Your hair looks great and I agree with you...I pray that I never take LHCF forgranted.:grin:

charmtreese

I started my hair journey believing that I could grow my hair long...which is the reason why I did a online search about hair to begin with. Cathy Howse's book was the catalyst that started it all for me! My hair was in bad shape breaking all of the time and it was just common sense, If It keeps chipping off...It's not going to get any longer! So, I went on a search to "stop breakage" not "grow hair" because I knew my hair was growing.

However, I still believe that 4b hair is the hardest to retain! (BTW, I know this is an unpopular opinion!)

PureSilver

my hair would still be short and picky picky as we say here in Jamaica but now we ladies call it texture and nappy. Now i'm proudly growing long healthy APL hair with the hope of becoming MBL one day. I'm now a healthy pick picky head.:grin:

Dposh167

Oh...my...goodness. Your...hair...has...done...a...180. Okay, don't mind all the elipses but that is how my mind was actually processing it as I looked at your before and after pics. Your hair looks great and I agree with you...I pray that I never take LHCF forgranted.:grin:

lol thanks so much...ur a sweetheart!

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
hmm, I dont think so.

Before the board I saw many dark skinned or non mixed black women with long hair. I had a friend in college who was 4a/4b and her hair was a very healthy APL, so I knew it had to be more than hair type.

But LHCF made me appreciate my hair more. I always though my hair was this ugly things. If it wasnt for this forum, I wouldnt have even considered wearing my hair natural.

ITA with this whole post. It's like Loca reached into my head, pulled out my words and posted them for me.

nappystorm

Nope. I have an aunt and cousin with extremely coarse 4b hair and thier hair grows like weeds. My aunt can go from SL to MBL in a matter of months.