Do you have a "long hair mentality" or a "short hair mentality"?

*Muffin*

I'm trying to develop a long hair mentality. I'm at APL right now, and I constantly am telling myself "Oh, if only my hair were longer..."and sometimes when I look in the mirror I get surprised at how long my hair has gotten. I should start saying some positive hair affirmations to myself, lol.

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
The real me has always had a long hair mentality. I've never been into hair styles, stylist fashion, etc. My style is best described as "classic", or as my mom would put it "lazy". Now my hair is more "me" than it has ever been. Anytime I've ever cut my hair it's never been because I wanted short hair, it was to fit in to someones mold. So I guess I was trying to be a short hair girl when I really wasn't. So now at 28, I'm rebelling - doing what I want with my hair, who cares what the masses think. I want long hair, I could care less what the in hair style was.

chucktownqt

I'm in between. I've always worn my hair short because i think it looks better on me as opposed to long hair. I've decided to grow it out because it's very time consuming and costly to keep up short do's.

destine2grow

I can say that in my teenage yrs I had short hair mentality. Once I started my family I stopped taking care of and focused on them. I am starting now to have a long hair mentality.

Precious_P

This is a good thread. Someone mentioned it in another thread that was about different products (ceramides I think). It provokes thinking for those of us that have not yet reached our hair goals of beyond SL. I must say that when I was in high school I had a long hair mentality(I did not realize it) but, one I got to college I cut it off and then the short hair mentallity began. Now, I definatly have a long hair mentality. I also realized that the man I have been with for the last 13 years had short hair mentality, too (it really did contribute to my short hair mentality). I have convinced him otherwise through the fruits of my labor after I learned differently through the various hairboards. The mentality is about HOW you go about handling your hair based on what works for you, not for others.

Lola Laughs

:look:Hmmm...I think part of it, for me, is desiring my natural hair...wanted to get away from chemical processes and damage....but still learning how to treat my hair in the meantime. It seems like I get lil lightbulbs going off everyday, telling me to just stop doing certain things or to start doing certain things...and to just let my hair "be". It's letting go of that bone-straight mentality...that's how I define it for me. :grin::look: And that can be the hardest part of it all, that letting go...but I'm gonna do it for myself and for my daughters (who never got a chance to know their natural hair, because their poor momma didn't have a clue).

Amen! I have been "natural" for nearly 8 years. But def had a "bone-straight" short-hair mentality. It was easy enough to let of the relaxers, but I just couldn't give up the flat iron. Well, after been laid off over a year ago, the light bulb went off. I was just do sick and tired of making my hair "fit" into a corporate environment--so I just stopped straightening (still growing out and cutting the heat damaged ends though).

Anyhoo, LHCR has def inspired my and my mindset has completely changed--can't believe how much I fried my hair. It certainly has helped that I no work in a very liberal, laid back work environment and feel "free" to wear my hair however.

I wish I had come to this board when I first stopped relaxing, however: "The best time to plant a tree as 20 years ago. The next best time to plant a tree is today" --Chinese proverb

Neith

I definitely have a long hair mentality.

I hope that I will have something to show for it in the coming years! :)

TeeWhyAre

this is one of the best and more memorable threads i've read in the HF and i think it is worthy of a good, solid, bump.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
i know i am definitly in the long hair mentality. im extra gentle with my hair. and i spend hours at a time dealing with it. i count hair strands on my comb and i look for white bolbs. i never abuse my hair, i talk to it sometimes and treat it like a person...... (im sick)

oh and i NEVER WILL GO TO A STYLIST....i dont need some B messing up my hair for me. i trim,cut,style,wash,DC, curl,straigten all by my darn selfff.

Last edited:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Interesting, I think I'm somewhere in between. I have a"long hair mentality" in that I take care of my hair with frequent DC's, daily moisturizing, and protective styling. But on the other hand, I prefer a "look" to my hair (straight) which is not its natural texture.