I'M A NATURAL WHO IS GOING BACK TO RELAXERS

E

EgyptianSand16

I\'M A NATURAL WHO IS GOING BACK TO RELAXERS

After much thought and deliberation I've decided to return to the "creamy crack" *gasp*
I will be wearing braids for two years straight and relax..I know understand why perm heads say they relax because their hair is easier to manage, not because they want to be "white"..
My hair is sooooooooo thick and it shrinks so much..I also can't achieve some of the styles i want..They just don't look "right"

The fact that I saw Beverly's hair also pushed me over the edge
(Beverly what was your reason for going back to relaxers?)..I know realize relaxed hair won't be so bad now that I know how to properly take care of it..thanks to you ladies.
I plan on using a Lye relaxer 3times a year and rollersetting and wear braidouts...NO HEAT

DigitalRain

Re: I\'M A NATURAL WHO IS GOING BACK TO RELAXERS

I understand. My hair is so kinky and thick when it was natural that the only way I could control it was to keep it short. I couldn't even comb thru it wet with conditioner

shelli4018

Good luck! I've been transitioning for 3 months now and have to admit being frustrated at times. Seeing albums like Beverly's and Ms. Kenesha's fabulous blow out really make me second guess my decision. But I think I'll stick with the transitioning for now. Like you, I recently learned all the things I was doing wrong with my chemical services. If I ever decide to go back, I think I'd do a much better job.

I'm curious though...why don't you just press your hair?

E

EgyptianSand16

[ QUOTE ]
shelli4018 said:
Good luck! I've been transitioning for 3 months now and have to admit being frustrated at times. Seeing albums like Beverly's and Ms. Kenesha's fabulous blow out really make me second guess my decision. But I think I'll stick with the transitioning for now. Like you, I recently learned all the things I was doing wrong with my chemical services. If I ever decide to go back, I think I'd do a much better job.

I'm curious though...why don't you just press your hair?

[/ QUOTE ] My presses don't last long..Within a day my ends are curling up. I figure I might as well get a perm to avoid pressing it so often damaging it.. Not to mention I use half the bottle of conditioner for my thick a$$ hair
picture Scary Spice
.....The thing I'm worried about is how "flat" my hair would look
I still want my hair to have body

christina

This is the exact reason I relax. My hair is much easier to handle, and I can monitor my split ends better. Good luck EgyptianSand. With all the advice and styling tips from relaxed heads on this board, you're bound to have healthy hair.

lilchanel

I wish you well! I think as long as you know how to maintain relaxed hair everything should be fine.

DahomeyAhosi

I texturized for the same reason. It's much easier to deal with now...Hope you get the results you want.

alibi

hair bored

Good Luck EgyptianSand!

I've been transitioning for almost 6mos now, and I understand what you're saying!
Everyone has to make the best decisions for their hair, and only you know what that is! I think an important question to ask yourself when debating relaxed vs/ natural is "How do I like to wear my hair?" I love my hair silky straight, so when I was perming, it was great for me. But I wanted a break from relaxers, and I started to really like texture and the way my hair looks in a braidout, so I decided to start transitioning. I won't swear that I'll never go back to the "creamy crack"
, b/c it all depends on how I want to wear my hair, which as women, we ALWAYS have the perrogotive to change! So good luck girl, I also hope you get the results you're looking for, and SWANG that hair when get your perm!

shinyblackhair

I think you'll be fine. My advice to you would be not to perm your hair "bone straight" but more of a texturizer. I think then you can have the best of both worlds.

Also, why do people say "creamy crack" it sounds so harsh and derogatory?!?

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate

Awwww don't feel bad. I understand where you are coming from. Just make sure that you take good of your hair like it's expensive silk, no matter what texture it is. Good luck.

Nonie

EgyptianSand, I think you'll be a "natural" at taking care of relaxed hair with all the support here. (Pun intended.
) So you do what feels right for you. I agree with shinyblackhair...don't go bone straight. (Think Adrienne or Robin of growafrohairlong.com and take a leaf from their book.) Just rock those buns to hold onto your ends, and in no time, your dilemma will be whether to keep your current signature picture or replace it with your very own picture coz your hair will look exactly the same anyway.

alibi

hair bored

[ QUOTE ]
shinyblackhair said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Shinyblackhair,

I hope I don't start any controversy with this, but my understanding is that people who are really against relaxing have coined the term "creamy crack" to illustrate just how dependant people can be on relaxers. I actually don't care for the term (hell, I LOVED my relaxer), b/c IMO it is derogatory, but egyptiansand was using it in jest when referring to her decision to relax again. That's why we both
at it b/c it is such a touchy term.

deborah11

I understand. I have been transitioning for almost 14 month now and I am also considering a texturizer because my hair reverts and frizzes so quickly that I too am unsure whether I will be able to achieve my hair desires and goals as a natural. Not ready to relax yet but starting to think about it . Will have to see.

shinyblackhair

[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
[ QUOTE ]
shinyblackhair said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Shinyblackhair,

I hope I don't start any controversy with this, but my understanding is that people who are really against relaxing have coined the term "creamy crack" to illustrate just how dependant people can be on relaxers. I actually don't care for the term (hell, I LOVED my relaxer), b/c IMO it is derogatory, but egyptiansand was using it in jest when referring to her decision to relax again. That's why we both

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaah...I see. I know Egyptian was using it in jest, or she wouldn't be considering relaxer. However, I have read this term on various pro-natural sites, but I got a negative connotation to it. So relaxer is our creamy crack, huh?
Geesh, I never thought of myself as a "crackhead"

Thanks for explaining ayanapooh.

Well, I gotta go sell my first born child so I can buy me some Affirm Lye.

Kitkat

EgyptianSand, good luck!! You have to do what's right for your hair. I would love to wear my hair natural, but I know that when I stop wearing braids I'll go right back to relaxing for the same reason that you and other ladies in this thread mentioned - my hair is way too thick to handle. I have tried handling my hair without a relaxer in the past, and it was so much work and so time consuming just to braid it into six braids each nite. This board has been such a godsend that I'm sure that you'll be able to achieve what you're trying to do.

jainygirl

good luck with your relaxer. don't worry about a thing, your hair will look fab either way
my hair is a force to be reckoned with also
but then again so am i
so it matches my personality
i'm sure youre hair is just free spirited (i like giving hair personalities
) again, good luck
--jainygirl

alibi

hair bored

[ QUOTE ]
shinyblackhair said:

[/ QUOTE ]

E

EgyptianSand16

Thanks to all you wonderful ladies for your support
I'm actually will be leaning more towards the texturized look than bone straight after having a talk with Allandra..again thanks ladies..you guys are the best

Besides I won't be doing it till 2yrs from now anyhows

asummertyme

[ QUOTE ]
shinyblackhair said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
[ QUOTE ]
shinyblackhair said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Shinyblackhair,

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaah...I see. I know Egyptian was using it in jest, or she wouldn't be considering relaxer. However, I have read this term on various pro-natural sites, but I got a negative connotation to it. So relaxer is our creamy crack, huh?
Geesh, I never thought of myself as a "crackhead"

Thanks for explaining ayanapooh.

[/ QUOTE ]
...lol
why cant they just leave us alone with our creamy crack...

shinyblackhair

[ QUOTE ]

why cant they just leave us alone with our creamy crack...

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what I'm sayin'

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
EgyptianSand16 said:
I'm actually will be leaning more towards the texturized look than bone straight after having a talk with Allandra..again thanks ladies..you guys are the best

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatever you decide, I hope it works for you. Girl, two years from now? Things might change a million times by then. I thought you were looking into this for now.

E

EgyptianSand16

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
EgyptianSand16 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatever you decide, I hope it works for you. Girl, two years from now? Things might change a million times by then. I thought you were looking into this for now.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, but I plan on wearing braids for two years to grow it out and then relax/texturize

ms_kenesha

I say do what you think is best for your hair
I recommend texturizing your hair and either doing it yourself (if you feel confident in that) or go to someone that has done it frequently because you don't want someone to "accidently" relax you bone straight which is what most hairstylists I know of try and do!

PS Shelli4108, Thanks for the compliemnt on the blowout! I'm in the transitioning boat with you, so don't be discouraged we can encourage each other
Also, you probably can still get a nice blow out transitioning and all!

DragonPearl

I have been wearing my hair natural for 3 years, and I cannot fathom going back to relaxers. I like the fact that I am no longer afraid of being caught in the rain and messing up my hairstyle. My sensitive scalp is no longer traumatized with chemicals and my hair is the healthiest and the longest it's ever been. I absolutely love the look and feel of natural hair!
But, after a couple of years of nappy militancy, I am finding out that wearing natural or relaxed hair is no indication of people's character or level of consciousness, or spirituality, or fairness, or kindness, or what have you. So, I no longer make it my business to tell other women what they should do with their hair. The bottom line is, it's YOUR hair, it's growing out of YOUR head, and you can do whatever you want with it. I wish you the best. Take good care of your hair, whatever you decide to do with it.

Valerie

In February 2004, it will be two years since, I have been natural and I don't think I will be going back to any sort of chemical services, apart from colouring, which I like very much and I do quite often. Relaxing, texturising never really worked for me. However Adrienne and Bevelery have beautiful relaxed hair and they are great inspirational ladies and it is a great pleasure to look at their albums, there are a lot of ladies who also have beautiful relaxed heads of hair. I wish you all the best and once you follow their examples, you will have beautiful hair. Best of Luck.