Relaxers

A

AmilLion

I would like to know:

What relaxers does everyone use?

What did you like about the relaxer and what didn't you like about the relaxer?

Do you prefer Lye or No Lye Relaxers?

How often do you relax? Is it according to the week or new growth you've obtained?

pebbles

AmilLion,

I'm in a state of confussion when it comes to relaxers. I always thought that no-lye relaxers were better; until I started reading about it on the message boards and in certain books, (Shamboosie and some others). Apparently, lye relaxers are less drying to the hair and therefore your hair retains more moisture and shine and all that other good stuff. No-lye relaxers are very drying to the hair. Now my problem is, I'm due soon for a touch up and am strongly considering switching to a lye relaxer. The benefits cannot be denied from professionals and from the many posts I've read in favor of lye relaxers. But girl, I ain't gonna lie; I am scared to death of messing up my hair!!! /images/graemlins/confused.gif I have taken such good care of my hair since I decided to start relaxers again this past August. I used the Optimum Advanced anti-breakage formula and loved it so far. But after reading about no-lyes from the experts, I'm sort of confused!! I don't know what to do. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

nita4

I received my first lye relaxer in years on October 26, 02 - It was a Dudley's Mild no base conditioning relaxer.

I liked the fact that it didn't burn which was my biggest fear. I it wasn't harsh on my new growth and It conditioned the rest of my no-lye hair. I've had very little shedding and I can't purchase it myself which means I won't be playing in my hair.

Now that I've found this and it has worked for me - I definately prefer this lye relaxer.

This first time I waited ten weeks because I had to. My beautician wouldn't relax me any sooner - she wanted me to condition my hair well prior to doing a corrective relaxer. I made it though that so now I'm going twelve weeks.

skyye

I prefer lye relaxers only because I've been told that they are less drying. I use a Mizani which I like a lot. I know alot of people who use the Affirm relaxer and they all swear by it. I'm tempted to try the Affirm, but for now I'll stick with the Mizani. I do not like Motions. I tried it once and it was just too much for my hair and it began to break. This was a long time ago, but that is one relaxer that my hair does not care for.

Integrity

the stylist used affirm mild on my type 4 virgin hair this july and it worked excellently!!! the next time i got a friend to use dark and lovely, that one is really good and gentle, no-lye AND not drying at all. i think no-lye or lye, the chemical processing means u gotta work hard at maintaining moisture balance!! i am def. keeping to the dark and lovely though! i have heard people raving about lye but i am sticking ti the dark and lovely i am pleased with.it lasts really long as well. i am now 8 weeks into it and my hair looks great! i wash and deep cond every 4 days and aphogee treatment every 6 weeks. with no breakage and little shedding i could go 3 months no sweat!(tip:motions oil moisturizer softenes (almost relaxes) my new growth, i love it so much. i have been able to get away with just finger combing for the last 4 weeks!

on a sidenote, i am so shocked to know that most dont even know what their stylists put on their hair (ie. relaxers, conditioners etc). for goodness' sake ask, ask, ask! this is one of my end of year resolutions!!

LondonDiva

I use Affirm Lye relaxer. One thing more than anything that I like about lye relaxers compared to no-lye is that the lye doesn't smell. The caustic smell from the no-lye had me knowing that regardless of how straight my hair would get that this was simply doing not a darn thing for my hair. I like the shine and manageability I get with the lye relaxer. The no-lye was way too drying and unhealthy looking for my hair, I would reccomend a lye relaxer over a no-lye. But then again look at Adrienne's hair and she used to use a no-lye relaxer and has fabulous looking tresses.

Apparantly to go from no-lye to lye isn't a problem for the hair. Ask adrienne (I think) she used a lye relaxer for her last touch up. It's when you use a lye then use a no-lye, that's where you create serious hair problems

pebbles

Thanks LondonDiva,

That settles it. I'm taking the plunge to the lye relaxer!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Integrity

just be sure to have someone who know what they are doing to apply it!! this is critical for lye relaxers and more so when transitioning!!

notsomebody

Pebbles,
Optimum makes a very good lye relaxer. It was actually my first introduction to lye. I loved how soft and shiny it made my hair. Also, it comes with its own reconstructor which is really awesome for closing your cuticle after the relaxing process. I have been using motions mild for a while, but am tempted to go back to optimum when I run out. That's another lovely thing about lye versus no-lye, there is nothing to mix so nothing goes bad.

pebbles

notsomebody,
Thanks for the info. I like optimum and would like to stay in the family. I heard that optimum makes a lye relaxer for hair that is colored and damaged. Do you know anything about that? Could it be the same one you are talking about?
Let me know. Thanks! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne0914

What relaxers does everyone use?
• Affirm lye

What did you like about the relaxer and what didn't you like about the relaxer?
• i just switched to this relaxer this month. too soon to tell the difference. so far so good though.

Do you prefer Lye or No Lye Relaxers?
• both have honestly served me well, but i switched to be on the safe side. i was also scared i would mess up my hair, but thankfully it went very well.

How often do you relax? Is it according to the week or new growth you've obtained?
• i am back to relaxing every four months.

adrienne

A

AmilLion

Thanks for your input guys and Adrienne, your hair's sooooooooooo pretty.

Eyvonne7131

What relaxers does everyone use? REVLON MILD

What did you like about the relaxer and what didn't you like about the relaxer? MAKES MY HAIR VERY SOFT AND MANAGABLE. ONLY THING THAT BUGS ME IS THAT ALSO OF STYLIST DON'T USE IT AND THEY ALWAYS TRY TO CONVINCE ME TO GET WHAT THE SHOP IS CURRENTLY USING, BUT I NEVER GIVE IN. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Do you prefer Lye or No Lye Relaxers? LYE

How often do you relax? Is it according to the week or new growth you've obtained? EVERY 7-9 WEEKS