I'm confused, Greasy hair = Moisturized hair??

nadine1977canada

I just got my hair relaxed and I moisturize my hair twice a day and seal with sweet almond oil. However, my hair does not feel greasy. So whenever mom or my sister touches my hair, they freak out cause its not greasy. They claims its dry and it needs to be moisturize...Is it just me or am i doing something wrong??They also claim my hair looks like plastic when i slick it in a bun.They claim its not a good sign cause they cant feel the grease.:perplexed When i comb my hair i see no breakage . I might see maybe one or 2 hairs and that is it. WOuldn't it be the opposite if it wasent moisturized?

Last edited:

Ebonygurl00

When I first started taking care of my hair, I struggled with this concept. I was raised to believed that greasy=moisturized. For me, when my hair is greasy or oily, it means that the moisturizers and oils that I put on my hair are just sitting on top of it and not actually penetrating the hair shaft. If your hair isn't breaking, and it feels healthy, don't worry. I don't know what "plastic hair" is though, that's weird, lol. HTH!

nadine1977canada

Ebonygurl00 said:
When I first started taking care of my hair, I struggled with this concept. I was raised to believed that greasy=moisturized. For me, when my hair is greasy or oily, it means that the moisturizers and oils that I put on my hair are just sitting on top of it and not actually penetrating the hair shaft. If your hair isn't breaking, and it feels healthy, don't worry. I don't know what "plastic hair" is though, that's weird, lol. HTH!

See my mom also told me to stay away from water, cause it will dry my hair up! She said I should not wash it.Today , I secretly washed my hair in my room. I had a bucket and 5.5 liters of water.:lachen: I find it confusing. As for my hair looking like plastic, I dont know about that. I just saw someone who put a pic of thier hair slicked back in their siggy and my hair looks like hers!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=99616

Maybe mom and my sister think it looks like plastic cause my hair is really straight.they are both telling me to use lots of hair grease and grease my hair and my scalp. Well i dont think so.

Last edited:

Ebonygurl00

I guess when the say "plasic" they mean that it's really shiny. That's definitely a compliment! Wow, you washed your hair in your room?! I don't think I could do that. Water will NOT dry your hair up!! Please don't listen to that. My mom still thinks this, that's why she lets the beautician wash her hair. Your hair may LOVE frequent washings! I can't do it, though, because my hair will start breaking badly. Try to convince your mom that water isn't evil. Good luck!

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Whenever my hair was greay, I always thought it was just greasy. Now that I've started taking better care of my hair, I've come to realize that my moisturized hair is not supposed to be greasy. When my hair is moisturized, it is soft and has a natural sheen to it.

I never understood the whole washing your hair too much will dry it out. Water is the world best moisturizer, so how could using it often dry the hair out? That just never made sense to me. I wash daily and my hair has greatly benefitted since I started doing it.

B_Phlyy said:
Whenever my hair was greay, I always thought it was just greasy. Now that I've started taking better care of my hair, I've come to realize that my moisturized hair is not supposed to be greasy. When my hair is moisturized, it is soft and has a natural sheen to it.

I never understood the whole washing your hair too much will dry it out. Water is the world best moisturizer, so how could using it often dry the hair out? That just never made sense to me. I wash daily and my hair has greatly benefitted since I started doing it.

i think some people use the wrong shampoo, it's the shampoo stripping and drying the hair out

Amarech

I just got my hair relaxed and I moisturize my hair twice a day and seal with sweet almond oil. However, my hair does not feel greasy. So whenever mom or my sister touches my hair, they freak out cause its not greasy

ok are you in my bathroom? are you in my house? I go through the exact same thing!
Sweet almond oil is the only oil I use in my hair and I don't use a lot. When my mom touches my hair or my sister's hair she always complains that its greasy.

But I don't think so. I've seen greasy hair and mine is not it. There's something about sweet almond oil that makes my hair super soft and shiny. I love it!

I don't use oil to moisturize. Oil can seal the hair shaft and make it supple, but the only true moisturizer is water. Besides that I use a moisturizing conditioner and try to stay away from heat.

Victorian

old head
nadine1977canada said:
See my mom also told me to stay away from water, cause it will dry my hair up!
:ill:

I think you know what is working best for your hair. Greasy hair is just that: greasy. I'm sorry you have to "sneak" and wash your hair. That's crazy! :nono: