Soft and NON-GREASY hair - only a dream???

virtuenow

Thanks, @virtuenow I was just in that thread and reading how your hair responded to the Chicoro prepooing using castor oil.
And I never would have thought to apply castor under running water, but it's so thick, I guess it can take it! Thanks so much!

One more question, please! Do you prepoo in the Chicoro method and oil rinse each time or do both or one or the other as needed?

Yes, I prepoo with the chicoro recipe and I oil rinse all in one session. I questioned whether I should do both in the beginning b/c I didn't want too much oil; but I love both methods so much. I combined them and found a complete "wow" effect.

To be exact, I do the prepoo, put my deep conditioner on top of that (Aubrey Organics gpb or hsr), leave on 15 min w/heat or plastic cap/towel wrap, I only shampoo my scalp w/diluted shampoo in an applicator bottle; and then rinse it out the concoction as a co-wash. Then do an oil rinse. Nothing but moisture for my hair. No in and out of the shower, I keep saying its very streamlined and very moisturized.

virtuenow

I never apply castor oil to my hair straight up (unless oil rinse; or a little on wet hair). Its too thick to use alone. I always apply it along with something- my leave in or creamy moisturizer. With my leave in recipe or giovanni direct leave in, I put a little in my hands along w/a few drops of castor oil. I believe you have to cut it w/something to make the application spread more smoothly and effectively.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I never apply castor oil to my hair straight up (unless oil rinse; or a little on wet hair). Its too thick to use alone. I always apply it along with something- my leave in or creamy moisturizer. With my leave in recipe or giovanni direct leave in, I put a little in my hands along w/a few drops of castor oil. I believe you have to cut it w/something to make the application spread more smoothly and effectively.

I tried this castor oil thing more than once. One time, I did try it with Aussie Moist Conditioner, and it was still a sticky mess. I've tried applying it to wet hair and dry hair. On dry hair, it made my hair feel straw-like and still sticky. And wet hair, it made my hair really tangly and sticky as well. And I had some type of product in my hair. I've also tried it alone as a prepoo and on wet hair after shampooing and it did not work for my hair in either case.

So maybe castor oil is just not for my hair. :lol:

Allandra

Yes, it's possible to have soft hair that's moisturized without it being greasy to the touch or giving one residue on their hands.

This is what works for my hair.

My hair gets / stays moisturized mainly through deep conditioning. I'm natural, so when I get my hair flat ironed, a lot of product is not used (again, because my hair gets / stays moisturized mainly through deep conditioning so a lot of product is not needed). When my hair has been flat ironed, I use a few drops of pure argan (aka moroccan oil) when needed. This gives my flat ironed hair lots of swing / swang lol.

Now when my hair is in it's natural state, I still don't need a lot of product (due to deep conditioning). This is probably why products last me for so long (especially moisturizers).

Is it possible to have soft hair that's moisturized without it being greasy to the touch or giving you residue on your hand. A little will be there, I know, but what can I use or technique can I do that won't give my hands a greasy glow? Or is this a pipe dream?

I just want touchable hair where I don't feel like I (or my man) have to wipe my hands after I touch my hair.

Currently cowash with Tressemme Naturals or VO5 Strawberry. Then I spray with avj+glycerin. Then I apply Aussie Moist and seal with castor oil or apply a blend of Aussie Moist and hemp seed oil. I clarify once monthly with Quantum.

No matter what, I have an oil slick that I'm tired of! (and I'm ready to try oil rinsing but wonder if that'll just make matters worse!)

What are ya'll using or doing that's giving you soft, touchable non-greasy hair? Pleazzze!

virtuenow

I tried this castor oil thing more than once. One time, I did try it with Aussie Moist Conditioner, and it was still a sticky mess. I've tried applying it to wet hair and dry hair. On dry hair, it made my hair feel straw-like and still sticky. And wet hair, it made my hair really tangly and sticky as well. And I had some type of product in my hair. I've also tried it alone as a prepoo and on wet hair after shampooing and it did not work for my hair in either case.

Have you tried actually rinsing it off w/hot water (oil rinse)? I found that is the best use for castor oil. Not leaving it on your hair but "infused'" in your hair. Like I said, when I do this, my hair stays moisturized for the week without needing a leave-in or anything unless i so choose.

Castor oil is sticky in nature, its not just your hair. You just can't glob it on like other oils or like conditioner. When I said a few drops, I meant a few drops. Thats all it takes. A few drops on wet hair and its spreads nicely throughout your hair. You have to get to know the properties of the different oils to use them effectively.

I think the best way to get to know castor oil, would be to try the oil cleansing method http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/. I only use castor oil and don't cut it w/olive oil like the instructions; but do this one time and you will understand how castor oil works. It may sound silly but try once even if its to prove the method wrong. It'll be fun!:yep:

On the other hand, maybe you should explore another oil. I really don't know what could be better b/c I haven't tried anything & couldn't imagine a match for this. Well, thinner oils like jojoba oil and coconut oil-- I like those.

Curlykale

have you tried diluting it? I would try a diluted version (with almond or sunflower or an oil your hair likes) and see if it is the high viscosity only that your hair doesn't like, since the good effects of castor can be well worth a try (it is not my idea: my hair loves Hairveda Cocasta oil which is castor oil diluted with almond oil).

Last edited:

Curlykale

To be exact, I do the prepoo, put my deep conditioner on top of that (Aubrey Organics gpb or hsr), leave on 15 min w/heat or plastic cap/towel wrap, I only shampoo my scalp w/diluted shampoo in an applicator bottle; and then rinse it out the concoction as a co-wash. Then do an oil rinse. Nothing but moisture for my hair. No in and out of the shower, I keep saying its very streamlined and very moisturized.

Interesting, I have to try this! Do you apply the diluted shampoo when the pre-poo/deep conditioner is still in?

Bublin

OK, so my watery Kimmaytube mix is almost all used up :grin: - i've been using it day and night, including a sneaky spray when i come in from work. Loving it so much. Usually i have to wear one of those stretchy thick hair bands when i've pulled my hair back or do some kind of braids (like in my avi) because nothing stops my hair from spiking up and it was really getting to me. For the past two days i have left it at home. My hair is laying down just with this leave-in. I also used it on my dd's hair this evening. Her hair was a dream to comb out after her usual wash/condition.

I made up some more using the correct ratios...ooh it looks so creamy - exactly what i want (what i think i need) in a leave-in. It's waiting in the fridge for me to use it on Friday.

Now, i have to say, the ladies that have contributed to this thread have been exceptionally informative, patient and helpful - no eye rollings, no one word answers and you all have been quite happy to repeat yourselves until everything is clear. I think you have all really helped @Charla and myself in getting to the bottom of why are hair is the way it is. Thank you. (sorry for hijacking your thread Charla)

I have another question. I thought that a leave-in was different from a moisturiser. I always thought i had to apply my leave-in and then add a moisturiser on top. It seems with this mix i ONLY use it and then continue to style. Nothing else in my hair. Am i correct? I'm so used to piling on 5 or 6 products on my hair after i wash it :perplexed.
Also, to re-moisturise on a daily basis, i continue to use this mix and not an actual bottle/jar that says moisturiser? I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Bnster

Hi I am relaxed, my nape area I haven't relaxed since Oct of last year and it is soft.
I always do some sort of steaming. Before I start my wash I do a
oil pre-poo and rinse
shampoo
protein treatment (5 mins)
DC (1/2 hr to 1hr) - heating cap or steamer (recent purchase about 3 months ago)
Porosity Control and/or ACV rinse

Then my leave ins (NTM, Infusion 23, keratin mist, pro-vitamin leave in, chi silk infusion, paul mitchell skinny serum).

I think the key why my natural parts are soft is the steaming and weekly washes.
Good luck and hope some of this helps.

ETA: During the week my leave-ins are NTM and my oil mix with has a little of grapeseed oil, omega 3 mix, castor oil, avocado oil and EVOO.

Last edited:

Charla

Bublin Curlykale virtuenow Nonie ms-gg faithVA
and @all the ladies who helped me (and Bublin) in this thread!

I want to sincerely thank all of you for taking your time to help me figure this out! You offered so much insight that I could not have come up with on my own due to my limited experience in this hair business!:grouphug3:

After all my experimenting and suggestions, I have a clear winner!

******2 tablespoons Aussie Moist, 1tbs avj, 2 teaspoons castor oil******

The goal, of course, was to end up with soft hair that was non-greasy, and this did it! And on top of that, it was easy to detangle with this mixture. A few hours after applying, my hair still had a little oily/residue on my hands when I touched it, but by that first night, I barely had any shine on my hands, although my hair didn't look dull or dry. It was soft and touchable! At day 2, my hair is still soft, and negligible residue on my hands. And I'm in L-O-V-E! I think I will be able to go 3-4 days without reapplying this. (Less, if I get as good results as virtuenow with the oil rinsing and prepoo combo, which I will be incorporating also. Thanks, virtuenow!)

Just for reference for anyone who's interested in the other experiments, they turned out as:

1. Only water and seal with castor oil. :down: = left hair dry and crispy, no residue

2. Only avj and seal with castor oil. :down: = left hair dry and crispy (even slightly more so than the water, go figure), no residue

3. AVJ+gly mix and seal with castor oil. :down: = left hair dry and crispy and gummy residue, yuck! Obviously, for me glycerin with castor oil is not a good mix! Day 1 if felt greasy to the touch. By day 2 it felt gummy.

4. avj+gly mix only, no sealing. :down: = left hair dry and slightly soft, less crispy, no residue

Now, my only other change/experiment I will be doing is seeking a conditioner that doesn't have cones like the Aussie Moist. Many have reported on great results with the AOHSR, so that's the one I will be trying first to see if it yields the same results.

Overall, and most of all, I just want to thank all you ladies again for your patience, kindness and helpfulness!

And Bublin, my partner in crime, thanks for sharing with me too! Glad to know someone else understands my hair! Please keep me posted on any new revelations you discover about your hair, and I will do the same! Btw, it's funny how our hair reacts the same, but it is different. I would describe my hair as 4a, normal porosity, silky/fine nape, medium-course temple areas, medium everywhere else, medium density.

And btw, regarding all that hemp seed oil we have!! I put it on my face as a night moisturizer after I cleansed my face via OCM, and it felt NIICCEE! It even help minimize some pores after just one application. I only used a dime size amount all over my face, and I think next time I can use a little less than that. I googled skin benefits for hemp seed oil, and there are plenty. This is a good thread I found.
:dance7::bouncy::circle:

Charla

Yes, it's possible to have soft hair that's moisturized without it being greasy to the touch or giving one residue on their hands.

This is what works for my hair.

My hair gets / stays moisturized mainly through deep conditioning. I'm natural, so when I get my hair flat ironed, a lot of product is not used (again, because my hair gets / stays moisturized mainly through deep conditioning so a lot of product is not needed). When my hair has been flat ironed, I use a few drops of pure argan (aka moroccan oil) when needed. This gives my flat ironed hair lots of swing / swang lol.

Now when my hair is in it's natural state, I still don't need a lot of product (due to deep conditioning). This is probably why products last me for so long (especially moisturizers).

Allandra

What deep conditioner do you use? And it's used weekly? Thanks

faithVA

@Bublin @Curlykale @virtuenow @Nonie @ms-gg @faithVA
and @all the ladies who helped me (and Bublin) in this thread!

I want to sincerely thank all of you for taking your time to help me figure this out! You offered so much insight that I could not have come up with on my own due to my limited experience in this hair business!:grouphug3:

After all my experimenting and suggestions, I have a clear winner!

******2 tablespoons Aussie Moist, 1tbs avj, 2 teaspoons castor oil******

The goal, of course, was to end up with soft hair that was non-greasy, and this did it! And on top of that, it was easy to detangle with this mixture. A few hours after applying, my hair still had a little oily/residue on my hands when I touched it, but by that first night, I barely had any shine on my hands, although my hair didn't look dull or dry. It was soft and touchable! At day 2, my hair is still soft, and negligible residue on my hands. And I'm in L-O-V-E! I think I will be able to go 3-4 days without reapplying this. (Less, if I get as good results as virtuenow with the oil rinsing and prepoo combo, which I will be incorporating also. Thanks, @virtuenow!)

Just for reference for anyone who's interested in the other experiments, they turned out as:

1. Only water and seal with castor oil. :down: = left hair dry and crispy, no residue

2. Only avj and seal with castor oil. :down: = left hair dry and crispy (even slightly more so than the water, go figure), no residue

3. AVJ+gly mix and seal with castor oil. :down: = left hair dry and crispy and gummy residue, yuck! Obviously, for me glycerin with castor oil is not a good mix! Day 1 if felt greasy to the touch. By day 2 it felt gummy.

4. avj+gly mix only, no sealing. :down: = left hair dry and slightly soft, less crispy, no residue

Now, my only other change/experiment I will be doing is seeking a conditioner that doesn't have cones like the Aussie Moist. Many have reported on great results with the AOHSR, so that's the one I will be trying first to see if it yields the same results.

Overall, and most of all, I just want to thank all you ladies again for your patience, kindness and helpfulness!

And @Bublin, my partner in crime, thanks for sharing with me too! Glad to know someone else understands my hair! Please keep me posted on any new revelations you discover about your hair, and I will do the same! Btw, it's funny how our hair reacts the same, but it is different. I would describe my hair as 4a, normal porosity, silky/fine nape, medium-course temple areas, medium everywhere else, medium density.

And btw, regarding all that hemp seed oil we have!! I put it on my face as a night moisturizer after I cleansed my face via OCM, and it felt NIICCEE! It even help minimize some pores after just one application. I only used a dime size amount all over my face, and I think next time I can use a little less than that. I googled skin benefits for hemp seed oil, and there are plenty. This is a good thread I found.
:dance7::bouncy::circle:

Thats a good experiment and a good KimmayTube mod. I have tried it with less oil but I don't think I've tried it with less AVG. I may have to give that a try.

Glad you found something that worked Charla

Curlykale

I'm happy you found what works! :) I'm going to try your ratios.
(that oil is WHOA on the skin, I have it too lol)

Pharmgirl247

I'm thinking castor oil may not be fir you. I'm natural and I use castor oil straight up with nothing else. It has been magic to my hair. I started using it when I got my hair done and the stylist ended up giving me a bald spot on the hair line. It grew my hair back and it kept my hair moisturizer when I wear it free

Bublin

:sweet::circle:

Yay @Charla .So happy for you.
Here's to soft, non greasy hair :yep:. Now lets get growing :yep:

Right now i'm really going for it and have in Chicoro's Pre-Poo (never done that before). I'm going to leave it in overnight, do my usual routine in the morning and end it with the Kimmaytube Leave-in mix. If i don't like the mix then i'll try your ratios.

We most def will keep in touch with how things are going, seeing as how our hair responds the same way to products.

The Hempseed now goes on my face and body!

edited to add - you know it's just dawned on me that all these mixes do not contain water as the main ingredient - infact it's way down the list as it's only in the condish/leave-in that is used. When i was spritzing my hair before, i always mixed 50/50 condish with water. My hair doesn't like straight up water and the avj is replacing it.

Last edited:

Charla

:sweet::circle:

Yay @Charla .So happy for you.
Here's to soft, non greasy hair :yep:. Now lets get growing :yep:

Right now i'm really going for it and have in Chicoro's Pre-Poo (never done that before). I'm going to leave it in overnight, do my usual routine in the morning and end it with the Kimmaytube Leave-in mix. If i don't like the mix then i'll try your ratios.

We most def will keep in touch with how things are going, seeing as how our hair responds the same way to products.

The Hempseed now goes on my face and body!

edited to add - you know it's just dawned on me that all these mixes do not contain water as the main ingredient - infact it's way down the list as it's only in the condish/leave-in that is used. When i was spritzing my hair before, i always mixed 50/50 condish with water. My hair doesn't like straight up water and the avj is replacing it.

Bublin
When I applied the winning mix for my experiement, I applied it to water wet hair and my hair stayed soft and is still soft. I did my whole experiement on the top half of my hair. I didn't treat the back half at all.

So once I found the winning combo, I decided to spray the back half of my hair with a 50/50 mix of avj and water to rewet it and then apply the AM/avj/castor oil mix. The result is I have a slight crispiness to that area, whereas the original area is still nice and soft. So all this time, I thought avj spritz on my hair was good, but apprarently not, although avj is excellent in my mix. (which explains why the experiment with just avj spray and seal with castor oil felt even crispier and than the just water application.)

So from now on I'm going to apply my mix to water wetted hair! (and I'm finding that I don't have quite as much shrinkage using water vs using avj.) Also, last night I refreshed my hair by just spritzing with water, and it turned out nice.

toufa

Let us know if JBCO is better. I put castor oil on my scalp and it does itches, I have to wash my hair every 4 days.

The JBCO feels so much better on my scalp. Its soothing and there's no itching at all. :) And its a bit thicker and less slippery/greasy than the regular castor oil. I like it.

Bublin

@Charla @greenandchic Curlykale Nonie and everyone else.
Here is a comparison pic of how dry my hair used to look (but greasy to the touch) and after using Kimmaytube Leave-in with just a little residue. I hope the pictures reflect the difference. Both were twist-out's set on wet hair. Apologies but i can't seem to re-size.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited:

allmundjoi

I have very coarse, high-porosity 4a (4b at edges at front) SL (almost APL) hair. Twist n curls are my staple (helps reduce ssk and stretch hair). My hair has been SOFT, LUCIOUS, NON-GREASY.
I do this at night. Hair is seperated into 4 sections by clips.
1. Oil rinse (castor oil)-instantly soft easily finger-detangled hair
2. Cowashing (AOGPB, NG Aloe Vera, TJ Tea Tree Tingle)-finger detangle more.
3. Remove excess water from my hair with a scrub shirt
4. Layer onto my damp hair avg>kckt>evoo (sometimes add a little AOWC). I like this better than mixing them all like Kimmay suggests.
5. Parting with my fingers, make 2 strand flat twists at front edges on either side of my head (2 flat twists on either side), then 2 strand twists throughout (braid about 0.5-1 inch at root). With each 2 strand section, PRIOR to twisting, I dab a little Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie on the hair. The hair has to be damp and I saturate the section with SMCES and seal the length of the hair with castor oil (often mix w/wheat germ oil or hemp seed oil) focusing on the ends (last 0.5-1 inch)-then twist.
6. Let hair air dry a little.
7. When hair is 50-60% dry, put 1-2 strands on satin covered sponge rollers and roll down to the braided section close to my scalp.
8. Cover with satin bonnet or scarf.
9. Next am, take rollers out, undo the twists (gently seperate the 2 strands, then seperate the hair in each strand). Either put 2 goodie bands around my hair for a pseudopuff or gently fluff and add a hair accessory, eg flower.

Hair is non-greasy and soft-LUSCIOUS-with great definition. Oh yea, and GLOSSY. If I want more hold I have taken to adding a very little amt of HV Whipped Jelly to the hair after I add SMCES, right before I twist. I usually add the jelly to my 2-strand flat twists in the front because the hair is very coarse with less curl pattern. Maybe mixing in avg to SMCES (has glycerin) would yield the same results. Hair has great definition and is soft!!!! I retwist gently at night, in bigger chunky 2 strand twists, and set on rollers (takes 10-15 minutes) and cover. I dont add any product. This lasts 2-3 days. It could last longer, but I have taken to not cw after a workout, and can only go a couple of days without cw before I WANT to cw. I sometimes add QBAOHC or QBBRBC to the ends right before I undo the chunky twists the next am. I henna 1-2x/month, I haven't been dcing afterwards and my hair is HYDRATED the next day. I think the above combo (oil rinsing, cowashing, moisturize with thick cream, and seal with heavy oil) has contibuted to this. I also rinse henna out with oodles of conditioner.

My 2 strand tnc is more of a textured fro-I seperate the hair in the strands for volume. I have been stopped many times in the past 2-3 weeks regarding my hair-compliments, questions and 'laying of hands' in my hair.

I just tried the above using HV whipped ends hydration (in place of SMCES) + HV whipped jelly. My hair is not moist, not Sahara dry, but not lucious. Maybe I was too heavy handed with the jelly, but I think the whipped ends hydration was no match (too thin) for the power of the aloe vera in the whipped jelly. Maybe this will help someone. Idk. My hair is a constant WIP. Right now, this works and I am HAPPY with my hair. I lost my hair mojo, and me thinks I got it back. :)

NG=Nature's Gate
AOGPB=Aubrey Organics GPB
SMCES=Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
AOWC=Aubrey Organics White Camellia
HV=Hairveda
QBAOHC=Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
QBBRBC=Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream

Missjae09

I've had this problem as well! Now, after I moisturize I seal small sections with one to 2 drops of oil... this seems to help a lot...it's enough to keep me moisturized but not enough to leave a "sol glow" on my hands when I touch my hair.

Charla

Bublin I can definitely tell the difference, especially because that first picture is how my hair would turn out too! The second pic looks so soft and moist and not greasy at all! That's what I'm experiencing now. My hair is still soft and plump, healthy looking!

Charla

allmundjoi Thanks so much for sharing your reggie! I really like how you explain how each product is benefiting you. I'm interested (in the future once I really get this hair thing down pact!) in the SMCES and HV Jelly. When I was transitioning, I bought some of those satin wrapped rollers that have the twisty tie ends and I did my hair in a big fluffy, curly fro (I was SL) and I got TONS of compliments. I can't wait to use them again on my all natural hair. And Missy, where's the pics? I gotta see this gorgeous, fluffy fauxfro!

allmundjoi

allmundjoi Thanks so much for sharing your reggie! I really like how you explain how each product is benefiting you. I'm interested (in the future once I really get this hair thing down pact!) in the SMCES and HV Jelly. When I was transitioning, I bought some of those satin wrapped rollers that have the twisty tie ends and I did my hair in a big fluffy, curly fro (I was SL) and I got TONS of compliments. I can't wait to use them again on my all natural hair. And Missy, where's the pics? I gotta see this gorgeous, fluffy fauxfro!

Charla, I will take pics. Sometimes I just want to do my hair quickly and be done and taking pics seems like it will slow me down. Lol. Will try and take pics.

RedVelvet310

Imo the key is to use really light oils to seal your hair. Castor oil is pretty heavy, and if I use it I simply accept the fact that my hair is going to be greasy. Argan oil, almond oil.. these are oils I like using on my hair to keep it seal yet not greasy. And I only apply any oil to my hair when it's wet, if I apply it to my hair when it's dry it'll be greasy.

Poohbear

Have you tried actually rinsing it off w/hot water (oil rinse)? I found that is the best use for castor oil. Not leaving it on your hair but "infused'" in your hair. Like I said, when I do this, my hair stays moisturized for the week without needing a leave-in or anything unless i so choose.

Castor oil is sticky in nature, its not just your hair. You just can't glob it on like other oils or like conditioner. When I said a few drops, I meant a few drops. Thats all it takes. A few drops on wet hair and its spreads nicely throughout your hair. You have to get to know the properties of the different oils to use them effectively.

I think the best way to get to know castor oil, would be to try the oil cleansing method http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/. I only use castor oil and don't cut it w/olive oil like the instructions; but do this one time and you will understand how castor oil works. It may sound silly but try once even if its to prove the method wrong. It'll be fun!:yep:

On the other hand, maybe you should explore another oil. I really don't know what could be better b/c I haven't tried anything & couldn't imagine a match for this. Well, thinner oils like jojoba oil and coconut oil-- I like those.
virtuenow - I believe the bolded is why castor oil did not work for my hair. I would GLOB it on my hair. :lol: If I think about trying it again, I'll use less and see if that makes a difference.

have you tried diluting it? I would try a diluted version (with almond or sunflower or an oil your hair likes) and see if it is the high viscosity only that your hair doesn't like, since the good effects of castor can be well worth a try (it is not my idea: my hair loves Hairveda Cocasta oil which is castor oil diluted with almond oil).
Curlykale - No, I didn't dilute it. I used it straight. There was one time I mixed it with extra virgin olive oil and it still was a sticky mess. But I think it's because of how much I used.

I'm thinking castor oil may not be fir you. I'm natural and I use castor oil straight up with nothing else. It has been magic to my hair. I started using it when I got my hair done and the stylist ended up giving me a bald spot on the hair line. It grew my hair back and it kept my hair moisturizer when I wear it free
Pharmgirl247 - Interesting. What type of castor oil do you use? How long is your hair? And what styles do you normally wear?

The JBCO feels so much better on my scalp. Its soothing and there's no itching at all. :) And its a bit thicker and less slippery/greasy than the regular castor oil. I like it.
toufa - maybe I need to try Jamaican Black Castor Oil instead of the castor oil that comes in the little bottle at Kroger. Does JBCO really help with thickening the hair? My hair has been shedding like crazy and looks like it's thinning. :(

Poohbear

Charla - Things are coming to my memory about how I have achieved soft, non-greasy natural hair during the earlier years of being natural. I remember S-Curl No Drip Activator and African Royale BRX Braid Spray were the two products that made my hair feel soft. Like Nonie said, your hair cannot be wet nor 100% dry. It has to be slightly damp and you have to use the product alone with nothing else. And do not soak your hair with the S-Curl or the BRX Spray. Just enough for moisture and softness.

If I want that soft, non-greasy hair, maybe I should revisit these two products that I haven't bought after running out of them. For the longest, I've been wearing my natural hair straightened and using grease as my main product.

virtuenow

Poohbear yeah maybe its the kind of Jamaican Black castor oil, b/c my seems thinner than regular castor oil- and spreads more easily on [dry] hair. But be sure to try the oil cleansing method (OCM) for your skin when you get a chance-- you can't go wrong w/that w/castor oil (just do a search on lhcf & net)

Poohbear

Poohbear yeah maybe its the kind of Jamaican Black castor oil, b/c my seems thinner than regular castor oil- and spreads more easily on [dry] hair. But be sure to try the oil cleansing method (OCM) for your skin when you get a chance-- you can't go wrong w/that w/castor oil (just do a search on lhcf & net)

virtuenow - I've tried the oil cleansing method for my skin before. I tried it last year for about a month inconsistently with castor oil and olive oil. I didn't see much difference with my skin, so I poured the remaining oil mixture on my hair one day to get rid of it! :rofl: