I'm new and I'm panicked (kind of long)

onejamifan

Hello all! I've been lurking around this site for about a month now because I've been thinking about growing my hair out. I had a cut in December and was not totally sold on the "layered" look, so I've decided to grow it out and get the hair back to being all one length. So I went out and spent a ton of money on products (yep, I'm officially a pj :lachen:) and started caring for my hair. Here's where the panick sets in. My hair is THINNING! :perplexed
I mean, some how my hair has thinned out considerably. I thought it was my new layered look that gave the impression my hair was thinner, but after I relaxed today, I realized that it was indeed thing root to tip. I had suspected it, so I bought the phytospecific relaxer because I've read in this forum that it was gentle but accidentally I got Index 2! I'm also thinking that my hair has been thinning out for almost a year now, and I guess it just hit me today because of how little hair was in my ponytail!

Ok, so here's my question: Do any of you ladies have any recommendations on products that help thicken hair? I mean, is it possible for new hair to grow thicker or is this it? Is my hair never going back to its old self? Also, my mom told me about 2 hair products that Domincan stylists swear by for avoiding hair loss-- KUZ hair growth drops and Wontersil Fresh Cells. I saw Wontersil in one site and they were selling it for like $90 Euros!!! Do any of you know of these products?

Thanks in advance for all your help and for putting together this fantastic site.

♦K.O♦

Welcome! :grin:

I think some ladies have used biotin as a supplement to achieve thicker hair. Topically, castor oil and henna thicken the strands, and will increase thickness over time.

issidoll

I'm sure veterans will jump in here but to start with tell us your hair regime.
I would suggest air drying or at the least minimal use of direct heat if you are not doing so already. Castor oil is excellent for thickening hair. Check your diet and water intake. I have used biotin by nexxus in the past for thinning temples. But most importantly relax because being here is an excellent start and the less stress for you the better your hair will like it.
Its the beginning of your journey and its filled with possibilities.
I can't help with specific product advise but the ladies here will have lots more to say I'm sure. :grin:

onejamifan

Thanks for the tips ladies. I guess I should have given more info on my hair and regimen. I have layered hair and I think I'm 3b, not sure and it falls a tad longer than BSL (the longest layer). I exercise and eat considerably healthy foods, though I am a sugar addict . I take vitamins, including a Biotin supplement (which I just switched to a hair, skin, nails product). I had been relaxing every 2 months but have gone back to relaxing every 3 months and I wash and roller set once a week. I tried air drying, but I felt my ends felt dry and brittle, so I just set, blow out my roots and wrap. I just started using garlic oil (phew!) in my scalp the night before I wash, an oil concotion of my making (avocado, coconut, almond, renee furterer intense kaite oil) for pre-pooing, and Lacio Lacio for roller sets. The biggest thing I had not been doing until recently was DC because I was always pressed for time so I'd condition in the shower. That would not result in thinning tho, right? I mean, that would result in breakage... or am I way off? Could using a relaxer that was too strong for my hair type be the culprit? I had been using whatever my hair stylist had at hand and I never even asked what she was using... dang! I feel like I have so many questions and have been trying to use the search feature but am having no luck with making it work...

Sorry for panicking ladies! I know in the end it will be alright. Its just the initial "shock" I guess. Again thanks for your support!

Is there any way to reverse the damage or is this it? That's my big question.

issidoll

It sounds like you have a good regime ...give it some time. You can definitely improve the condition of your hair through education and a sustained regime. A fotki will help you to monitor its effectiveness.
Have you considered added biotin on its own to your vitamin intake? Some ladies use it and have achieved great results. Check for threads. I would research carefully any supplements before use however.
Try castor oil too as a sealant. Its very effective.
Good luck and Happy Hair Growing.

Last edited:

Fine 4s

Thanks for the tips ladies. I guess I should have given more info on my hair and regimen. I have layered hair and I think I'm 3b, not sure and it falls a tad longer than BSL (the longest layer). I exercise and eat considerably healthy foods, though I am a sugar addict . I take vitamins, including a Biotin supplement (which I just switched to a hair, skin, nails product). I had been relaxing every 2 months but have gone back to relaxing every 3 months and I wash and roller set once a week. I tried air drying, but I felt my ends felt dry and brittle, so I just set, blow out my roots and wrap. I just started using garlic oil (phew!) in my scalp the night before I wash, an oil concotion of my making (avocado, coconut, almond, renee furterer intense kaite oil) for pre-pooing, and Lacio Lacio for roller sets. The biggest thing I had not been doing until recently was DC because I was always pressed for time so I'd condition in the shower. That would not result in thinning tho, right? I mean, that would result in breakage... or am I way off? Could using a relaxer that was too strong for my hair type be the culprit? I had been using whatever my hair stylist had at hand and I never even asked what she was using... dang! I feel like I have so many questions and have been trying to use the search feature but am having no luck with making it work...

Sorry for panicking ladies! I know in the end it will be alright. Its just the initial "shock" I guess. Again thanks for your support!

Is there any way to reverse the damage or is this it? That's my big question.

Your regimen sounds good to me.

You know, your hair could be thinning due to an array of reasons. One of many could be stress or hormones (as you grow older). If you haven't done so already, have some blood work done by your primary care doc. Have you noticed any breakage? If your ponytail appears thin, I wonder if it could be b/c your hair is breaking and so less strands will be in the pony and thus would look thin. I would also check the heat temp on your rollersets or even leave the rollersets alone for a while and do some lose protective, no heat styles for a month or more if you can. Check out Kinikakes, babygurlNC, Sareca and DLewis's profiles or fotki pages to see what styles they wear with no heat or rollersets needed.

If it helps, you are in the right place though, I'm sure the pros will give you great advice no worries...

MissMusic

Are you Lye or No-Lye?
Do you use protein in your regimen?
How often do you comb and/or brush?

*You might want to tell us the specific products you use in your regimen for good measure!

issidoll

Your regimen sounds good to me.

You know, your hair could be thinning due to an array of reasons. One of many could be stress or hormones (as you grow older). If you haven't done so already, have some blood work done by your primary care doc. Have you noticed any breakage? If your ponytail appears thin, I wonder if it could be b/c your hair is breaking and so less strands will be in the pony and thus would look thin. I would also check the heat temp on your rollersets or even leave the rollersets alone for a while and do some lose protective, no heat styles for a month or more if you can. Check out Kinikakes, babygurlNC, Sareca and DLewis's profiles or fotki pages to see what styles they wear with no heat or rollersets needed.

If it helps, you are in the right place though, I'm sure the pros will give you great advice no worries...

Excellent advice. Also your styling may contribute...tying ponytail too tight or friction on the tie in the same place. In my fotki I have pictures of an airdried set using rollers but no heat. Consider that the manipulation in setting may have an impact on hair loss. You could try bantu kniots or braid outs too.

good2uuuu

Welcome! Seems like you're doing a lot of the right things, so I would just add, be patient:) Happy hair growing!

onejamifan

Thanks again to all of you for your words of wisdom. It is so embarassing for me to be in my 30's and feel like all of a sudden I have lost control of my hair! I will definitely call my doc on Monday and try to set up an appt. for blood work and such. I also will make sure to buy some castor oil ASAP and stop pulling my ponytail so tight to work out.

As for what products I use, its a bit of hodgepodge right now. I had been using Cantu moisturizing shampoo with shea butter, biosilk treatment for damaged hair and set with Infusium 23 and Redken Anti-snap for a few months and my hair felt soft and had very little breakage, but by then I had already started feeling my strands getting a little thin and the amount of hair on my head getting smaller, and smaller. I mean, I've always had strands fall out when I combed every morning, but I thought it was normal because its ok to lose up to 100 strands a day...right? In the past I've used EVERY line out there from Renee Furturer to Pantene. I even used Orlane hair conditioner ($80! it smelled heavenly!), but never really stuck to one. When I was a teenager I used Sebastian hair products religiously and relaxed with Revlon (blue letters) and my hair was as thick as a horse's tail, but the relaxer burned my scalp so as an adult I switched to no-lye. Since I found this site, I tried using the Aphogee Keratin 5 minute Reconstructor and I felt it left my hair a bit brittle and saw some breakage, so the following week I tried the Phytospecific Vital Force and it didn't soften my hair AT ALL, so I used Maine and Tail Conditioner to ease with the detangling process but still saw breakage. I have since bought Humectress because it seems to me maybe I need more moisture and will be trying it on my next wash. I also got a tube of Sebastian 2plus1 which used to work wonders for me way back in the day.

As you can see, I have turned into a pj :blush:

Any way, I am so sorry to be going on and on about my problem. I am just so happy to have found this amazing group of women who are willing to lend a hand and an ear. I am definitely going to keep you all posted with my progress and let you all know about the two products I asked about earlier in this thread. I ordered the KUZ anti-hair loss and my mother promised she'd get me the Wontersil. I'm about to go broke if I keep on buying more stuff ;)

Thanks and God bless!